EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   1989 crx si fender skirts (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1989-crx-si-fender-skirts-3259.html)

crexcrex 06-21-2008 08:09 AM

1989 crx si fender skirts

Found a few pix of AndrewJ's Civic mods online before registering with ecomodders.I have worked with plastics a few years back and decided to use another method to make the rear skirts.

I certainly appreciate the work you did but i concluded that there is an easier method and the skirts weigh only a few ounces and do not require the elaborate set up that you have for the skirts. I would say that you did a great job.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...p;d=1214091999

i have used coroplast which is basically plastic cardboard and drilled holes into the lip of the wheelhousing to attach the skirts, i personally decided to go to the outside as the rear bumper when accidently bumped in a parking lot will move the rear bumper forward and deform the plastic skirts and pop them off.

Attaching the coroplast to the outside seemed to be a better method inclusive of using plastic screws as fasteners, when bumped from the rear the skirt flexs and the plastic screws will flex as well. we all have our preferences and i appreciate your method as well.
Now if i can attach a pix of the rear skirts it may be of interest. The pix are of a 1989 crx si minus the rear wiper............how does one enter the url to upload the photo's?

MetroMPG 06-21-2008 10:20 AM

Hi crexcrex - you can upload a pic by using the "preview" or "go advanced" button after typing in your reply. There will be a "Manage attachments" button on the next page, and you can directly upload an image if it's less than 100kb.

If you have an image hosted elsewhere and know its URL, simply click the http://ecomodder.com/forum/images/ed...nsertimage.gifbutton above the text edit box and enter the URL in the resulting dialog box.

Welcome to the site.

crexcrex 06-21-2008 07:47 PM

1989 crx si fender skirts

1 Attachment(s)
Coroplast skirts

MetroMPG 06-21-2008 10:42 PM

Looks good! What's sticking down on either side of the back tire?

crexcrex 06-21-2008 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 37112)
Looks good! What's sticking down on either side of the back tire?

Those are spacers to get the proper arch to the coroplast plastic, they wre removed an hour after getting the right curvature..........the skirts are held in place with gyproc anchors and thay will be capped to cover the screws..............both weigh less than a pound and retain the curvature................will be doing the front fenders with the same material, Coroplast comes in different colors. One shett 4by 10 costs 24 bucks fro home depot

SVOboy 06-21-2008 10:54 PM

Damnit, I wanted to be the first to do CRX skirts with integrated trim!

crexcrex 06-21-2008 11:35 PM

crex skirts

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 37114)
Damnit, I wanted to be the first to do CRX skirts with integrated trim!

Don't feel too badly you can always do the front skirts first after all you will be the first in your neighbourhood................

Here is a tip re weight loss,,,,,,,,,, the calipers on the crx is oversized and can be down sized to loose weight,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, i installed the calipers from a 1987 crx along with the rotors and pads reduced the weight by half on each side, the braking is the same.

In my humble opinion keep away from fiberglass as the material is heavy and dirty to work with and in terms of abs or pvc it has less flex and is harder to form..................looking forward to seeing your skirts including the front any eco tips that you may have would be appreciated.

By the way i have pulled the right mirror and will do the same with the left as i have installed a 17 and a quarter inch convex mirror in the car which gives ne full view of the sides...............you can also use the multi pane rear view mirror..................and say goodbye to the side mirrors

MetroMPG 06-22-2008 10:10 AM

crexcrex: hope you don't mind I split this off into a new thread. I think your work deserves being highlighted on its own.

Vince-HX 06-22-2008 01:54 PM

I love the way that looks, like an oldschool Insight:thumbup:

crexcrex 06-22-2008 03:48 PM

re aero skirts on a honda

There certainly can be improvements in the design of fender skirts and i happened to run accross a post with a pix i unfortunately cannot recall the guys handle i kept the pix perhaps you can tell me who this creative guy is.

Very well executed concept street legal under the highway traffic act and a piece of art as i am an artist, body mechanic and operated a plastic repair and fabrication buisness i appreciate the idea.

Xringer 06-24-2008 08:15 AM

How about posting some nice close up pics of the details.. Paint job? Mounting hardware?

metromizer 06-24-2008 01:04 PM

From the pictures they look great, and I look forward to reading about mpg improvements.

I want to build a set fot the rear of my '96 Geo Metro, but here is my delemma... I'm a fit-n-finish guy (it's my personal flaw, not anyone elses). I don't think I would personally be happy using Corrolast. I want something that looks alittle more factory, and want to attach them with countersunk Dzus buttons.

I know, I know, it's just me, but what can I say, I was a machnist for 13 years, and have built several race cars, one of which won it's class at the Grand National Roadster Show in 2003. So it's me, my disease that I try to live with it... LOL

So what advice would you give me regarding making my own skirts? Like you, I also dislike working fiberglass. If I knew someone with an English Wheel, I might try my hand at metal forming a set from .09" thk 5052 aluminum. I have also used luan door skins and epoxy in boat work, which might be an option (See the book 'Instant Boats' by Harold Payson or google 'stich-n-glue method' regarding small boats) but that might require I first build two 'body buck's to get compound curves like my wheel openings will need. Is it possible to heat form PVC or acrylic sheet with a heat gun to hand form it, then sand to shape and paint?

Xringer 06-24-2008 02:07 PM

Yeah, it just might be a flaw that a lot of us have. I got over it years ago, when I realized that life was too short to be spending my weekend spare time washing and waxing my brand new $2,000 Ford Maverick. :)

You might want to check around to the local speed & body shops and see
what they would charge to fab you some skirts. In raw metal maybe, so you could do the painting..?.
It might end up being less than DIY, if you have to buy specialized tools
and components.

crexcrex 07-14-2008 06:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by metromizer (Post 37886)
From the pictures they look great, and I look forward to reading about mpg improvements.

I want to build a set fot the rear of my '96 Geo Metro, but here is my delemma... I'm a fit-n-finish guy (it's my personal flaw, not anyone elses). I don't think I would personally be happy using Corrolast. I want something that looks alittle more factory, and want to attach them with countersunk Dzus buttons.

I know, I know, it's just me, but what can I say, I was a machnist for 13 years, and have built several race cars, one of which won it's class at the Grand National Roadster Show in 2003. So it's me, my disease that I try to live with it... LOL

So what advice would you give me regarding making my own skirts? Like you, I also dislike working fiberglass. If I knew someone with an English Wheel, I might try my hand at metal forming a set from .09" thk 5052 aluminum. I have also used luan door skins and epoxy in boat work, which might be an option (See the book 'Instant Boats' by Harold Payson or google 'stich-n-glue method' regarding small boats) but that might require I first build two 'body buck's to get compound curves like my wheel openings will need. Is it possible to heat form PVC or acrylic sheet with a heat gun to hand form it, then sand to shape and paint?

Update re coroplast fender skirts...........coroplast is a base for the real finish, will post pix when i am through with the other mods that i am completeing...........i too want a quality finish as you will see........

RP-CLMBR 07-14-2008 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crexcrex (Post 43781)
Update re coroplast fender skirts...........coroplast is a base for the real finish, will post pix when i am through with the other mods that i am completeing...........i too want a quality finish as you will see........

Hi I like the skirts are the trimm pieces painted in on the corogated plastic versions thanks I have a 88 crx hf stock and it is white also I am going to make some too let me Know how your permanante ones turn out Also what is the best/ cheapest way to eliminate a sun roof it causes a lot of wind noise and it has to be heavy thanks

RP-CLMBR 07-14-2008 09:57 PM

crexcerx will you load some more pic on how you made the crx skirts with the trim and molding to match,It would look great with some racing "pizzas" or better yet with some stock insight rims and high roller tires let me know, I have been all day over on andrew j project,
I read his whole preject from feb or so till today, wow

crexcrex 07-15-2008 04:15 AM

crx skirts

here is the scoop on crx skirts, the coroplast is nothing more than a temp plate of the real thing.

The idea of coroplast is to make a temp plate, i have run the car with painted on mouldings mainly to see how effective the skirts are. I have done the shaping of abs and pvc and the application of heat tends to buckle the material. Fiberglass? i would say that it literally sucks as it is dirty and heavy and is not what i wanted.

Make a coroplast skirt exactly to the demensions that you want and set the holes or whatever you decide in position. On the crx rather than go over the mouldings i have cut them so the skirt fits below the cut mouldings and in that way you can also add a real moulding over the skirt.

Now that you have a template drop in at a plastic shop and get the thinnest abs they have which is super flexible be it white or black, my preference is white as white even though painted over will deflect heat, black absorbs.

Set the coroplast on top and crimp the bottom and draw the pattern about one inch over the original size. Make sure to crimp the bottom first do it with duck bill vice grips as you want a straight line. Get a good quality hot glue gun and glue the botom first, flex the skirt in a arch as you glue it in position. Glue the coroplast to the abs about 12 inches at the time and press it in position till the hot glue cools and continue till you are through.
If you want the plastic to conform to the body shape crimp the entire arch.

I apologize if the instructions seem complicated but it is pretty simple and basic.
Now let's see if i can get a few pix on there now!

RP-CLMBR 07-15-2008 05:21 AM

crx skirts

thanks CerxCerx I made a couple of brackets or shape plates out of old cyclone fence stayes not to thick and they are galvanized i can weld a bracket /clamp on ethier side I have a panel of a spray paint booth that was already cut on, it is mabe .18 or thinner was going to try to use that tommorrow but I will probbably save that for the sun roof elimination, I cut a cardboard template for right side and clamped it up there it is going to look sweet, does any one sell after market ready made skirts I want it to look as if it were an option, I am ok with my mig welder but dont know how the sheet metel is going to fight me on the convex simi teardrop that it is turning out to be, I am not looking foward to doing the sun roof, but thanks for the info looking forward to the other pictures.

crexcrex 07-15-2008 05:42 AM

Trying to reduce the jpegs and not doing well............will get the girlfriend to reduce them and get them online. Trust me the skirts will look factory as for factory skirts i know of none................

Sunroof? a snap to do have a few art projects to do by then i will have completed the sunroof which will be posted...............am running behind as i have done the vortex generators and customized the mirrors, side mirrors which will be of interest as they are aerodynamic.
re the metal skirts, you may well regret metal skirts because the rear bumper is meant to flex and move forward one small bump and your skirt will buckle......which explains why i am using plastics.

Whatever you decide the choice is yours..........

crexcrex 07-15-2008 06:22 AM

crx laminated plastic skirts

3 Attachment(s)
Attachment 1168

Attachment 1169

Attachment 1170

a bit small but will try again re pix...............before you weld galvanized steel think again the fumes are toxic................sunroof you can use the existing sunroof metal...remove hardware clamp sunroof edges into place tack and mig, grind and fill etc
Good luck

RP-CLMBR 07-15-2008 01:35 PM

89 crx skirts re re

thanks , I see what you mean about the bumper cover moving around
thinkig twice on the metal and yea I hate to weld galvanized even when I grind it down all around the weld still green fumes, my sun roof only has glass on top and rubber boot/seal no head liner looks after market the guy I bought it from was going to make adrag car and he was going to put a hinged flap on for burn out vent, ? I think I'll use the fence stays but with bolted brackets mabe conter sunk screws I dont Know, thanks for the pics it just clamps against the out side of th car ? I'm not onder standing the mounting since they are not crimped in the pictures, thanks for your time Paul

RP-CLMBR 07-16-2008 09:53 PM

89 crx hf skirt re re

Hey cerxcerx I made one skirt today out of the white paint booth panel I had made a frame out of the fence stayes but after I shaped the sheet metal it seemed plenty strong by itself, I went flush in the front and on top but took your advice and over laped the bumper cover so it is just a snug over lap that can slide if the bumper goes in or out it is already in about 1/2" or so so I could see first time I bumped it, it would crumple the skirt, so I mounted it with2 brakets, and metric screws, and fender type speed nuts, then the tail springs against the bumper cover, will try to find some flush head allen screws later to dress or hide it up the stripe is 3 pieces elec tape for now till I get some sign vinale, the bottom is under coating and I will probably regret that when I sand it off later I didnt have any black paint and I wanted to see it two tone before dark, well I'll try to load a couple of pics, it says they are to big ?

RP-CLMBR 07-16-2008 11:58 PM

RP-CLMBR - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

justpassntime 07-17-2008 05:41 AM

Nice Going

1 Attachment(s)
Like the skirts! Nice job. How far are they away from the tire? They look very close. My skirts on my car are 1/4" away. I figured tighter is better.

When I pull my skirts off I will post pics as well. I've got more body work to do on it before it gets painted.

RP-CLMBR 07-17-2008 09:23 AM

crx hf sheet metal skirt re

Thanks justpassntime so far it is just one skirt will try to make the other side today, when I was fitting it to the wheel well I used my fingures as spacers so probably abou 3/8" or so clearanc I want to get 14' insight wheels and tires these are 13s so hope i'll have enough clearence, I found a pic of a 87 dx with insight wheels and now with the skirt it is a must have but would rather have homemade pizza pans and a new paint and body work done,for the price,thanks Paul, ck out the last post on loading pic sticky i got a laugh

RP-CLMBR 07-18-2008 02:13 AM

Right Side Crx Hf Fender Skirt Metal Skin

THIS SIDE DIDNT COME OUT SO SLICK AS THE DRIVERS SIDE MUST HAVE GOTTEN BEGINERS LUCK WITH THE FIRST ONE THE CRIMPING ON TOP WAS NOT NESISERY AND MADE A COUPLE ORIPPLES WILL ROLLING THE ARCH INT IT BUT IT LOOKS OK AND THE CAR ALREADY HAS IT SHARE OF OWIES SO IT LOOKS OK i KEEP WAITING FOR SOME ONE TO ASK IF i AM A SEMETIC LOOKS KIND OF WWII GERMANISH, OH WELL NEXT THE WIPERS,SUNROOF, MIRROWS, PIZZA PAN HUB CAP,OR SOME INSIGHT WHEELS, WILL POST ANOTHER LINK TO SEE PICS NEXT, THANKS,PAUL

RP-CLMBR 07-18-2008 03:06 AM

mabe rt fender

Quote:

Originally Posted by RP-CLMBR (Post 44789)

if this doesnt work please go back to post 23 it still works and the pics are still there
thanks Paul