EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   1990 Geo Metro hatchback; improved mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1990-geo-metro-hatchback-improved-mpg-7564.html)

90metro 03-22-2009 11:35 PM

1990 Geo Metro hatchback; improved mpg

I've owned my 1990 Geo Metro hatchback for almost a year now. Bought it with 22k original miles and it now has 39k. I have a long commute for work and it's my daily driver. I've never done anything except put gas in it, the occasional oil change and filters, and wash it when it's dirty. However, I noticed a drop off in mpg from 50 to 43 or 44. So I finally took it in to a trusted mechanic friend for diagnostics. The fuel injector was leaking gas at idle, causing it to idle rough. Plus it wasn't distributing the fuel correctly. The distributor cap was cracked, and sparks caused the car to misfire. The water pump had a small leak as well. So, after a new fuel injector, distributor cap, rotor button, timing belt, drive belt, wire set, water pump and major tune up, the mpgs have improved dramatically. I'm still waiting for this tank to empty out to I can know for sure, but I believe I'm up to 50+ again.

The car has awesome pickup too. I've acccidentally been squealing the tires, and I'm able to keep up getting on the highway onramp. Later!

hummingbird 03-23-2009 03:26 AM

Great! Let us know when you finally figure out your MPG data for the tank.

BTW it's been quite some time you lurking around, why not get yourself an MPGuino, or at least just start posting regular fuel logs so that we know this is happening for sure and this is not something written just after a terrific joint... :D (jus jokin, but yeah, why not log the fuel data at least?)

90metro 03-23-2009 08:21 AM

MPGuino??

How do I set that up?? I've seen it under other users names and was always wondering. My fuel log goes back for the past year. High of 51.7 (without hypermiling) and low of 43.1 (whoops....time for a tuneup!).

David

90metro 03-23-2009 08:26 AM

MPGuino??

How do I set that up?? I've seen it under other users names and was always wondering. My fuel log goes back for the past year. High of 51.7 (without hypermiling) and low of 43.1 (whoops....time for a tuneup!).

David

Johnny Mullet 03-23-2009 10:20 AM

Glad you got all the problems sorted out and you have a trust-worthy mechanic.

90metro 03-23-2009 02:42 PM

fuel logs

I just posted my fuel logs dating back to June 2008. Thanks everybody for your help. 50+ mpg....here I come!!

David

dcb 03-23-2009 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 90metro (Post 93726)
How do I set that up??

One of my favorite cars :) Welcome to EM!

Basically you tap into the speed signal and an injector signal,
Metro - EcoModder

But we should probably continue that discussion on the guino forum:
OpenGauge / MPGuino FE computer - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

90metro 04-07-2009 08:49 PM

quick update on the mpgs

My last three tanks have averaged over 50mpg, which the last two averaging 51.5. I haven't even been hypermiling. Of course I was using high octane fuel which I'm sure helped. This next tank is regular unleaded so we'll monitor any dropoff if it occurs. Later,

David

MetroMPG 04-07-2009 09:13 PM

The Metro engines aren't designed to take advantage of higher octane fuel, so unless you have manually advanced the timing so far that you need the additional octane to prevent detonation, I'm not sure there's any connection.

Still, 50 is good for no effort being made.

90metro 04-07-2009 09:25 PM

improved mpg

I never knew that....thanks! My mechanic told me to use high octane for the first two fillups after my major tuneup to blow off some carbon from a valve. I assume it's good for that if nothing else????

David