Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Off-Topic Tech
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2013, 12:34 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Long Ranger - '01 Ford Ranger XL
Pickups
90 day: 28.68 mpg (US)

EcoSI - '08 Honda Civic SI
90 day: 28.83 mpg (US)
Studded Tires on a RWD Truck

I have a set of studs that I will begrudgingly be installing on my truck. They are a smaller diameter than my current tires and i really dont want to lose the highway mpgs from running them. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to run studs just on the front end, as my truck is RWD. My logic is that i would have increased steering and braking performance, though my acceleration and rear grip would remain the same. I have not been in a situation where i couldnt get somewhere due to rear grip, and dont anticipate having that issue.

Just wondering if anyone had some expertise on the subject...

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 12-10-2013, 01:18 AM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

B2300 - '95 Mazda b2300

Wagon - '95 Subaru Legacy wagon ls
I've run studded tires for years on the rear only. With adequate weight for traction, they will get through most everything. They really help with engine-braking too, which is important on snow and ice. Of course, the weather conditions that require studs will naturally hit FE a lot more than the smaller tire diameter will.
On dry or clean pavement, I imagine that having studs on the front might actually hurt performance. They will certainly change the steering dynamics, especially at higher speeds...
Old 12-10-2013, 01:20 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by etamax View Post
I've run studded tires for years on the rear only. With adequate weight for traction, they will get through most everything. They really help with engine-braking too, which is important on snow and ice. Of course, the weather conditions that require studs will naturally hit FE a lot more than the smaller tire diameter will.
On dry or clean pavement, I imagine that having studs on the front might actually hurt performance. They will certainly change the steering dynamics, especially at higher speeds...
You are confirming most everything else i have heard. I am looking for some studless tires in OEM size. If i can find some I wont hesitate to put them on all four corners.

Old 12-10-2013, 01:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

B2300 - '95 Mazda b2300

Wagon - '95 Subaru Legacy wagon ls
All four is a great way to go. The studs are a lot more aggressive, but much of the time they allow me to get to work without resorting to chains, which is a big plus. I should have put mine on by now, a lot of our roads around here have about an inch of packed snow since the plowing prescriptions are cut way back this year.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:51 PM   #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathan01xl View Post
I have a set of studs that I will begrudgingly be installing on my truck. They are a smaller diameter than my current tires and i really dont want to lose the highway mpgs from running them. I was wondering if it would be worthwhile to run studs just on the front end, as my truck is RWD. My logic is that i would have increased steering and braking performance, though my acceleration and rear grip would remain the same. I have not been in a situation where i couldnt get somewhere due to rear grip, and dont anticipate having that issue.

Just wondering if anyone had some expertise on the subject...
Having a significant difference in grip front to rear can lead to some handling problems that could get you in a an accident. Good studded, winter tires up front and standard tires (all-seasons or summer tires) in the rear tend to cause the rear to slide while braking or turning. A decent demonstration of that is seen here:

You'll have similar behavior in the RWD truck, but I didn't easily find any video of that. The RWD videos I found all put the winter tires in the rear, but still had problems (greatly reduced braking and severe understeer in corners).

All four is the way to go.

2001 Civic HX Mods

CTS-V

2003 Silverado Mods
Old 12-11-2013, 03:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Thanks, I did all four and have needed them the last couple days. I am going to put back on my all seasons now that the weather is warming up. I dropped from 35-37 mpg on my commute to 30-32 and don't like it.

Old 12-11-2013, 04:45 PM   #7 (permalink)
Human Environmentalist

Acura TSX - '06 Acura TSX
90 day: 24.19 mpg (US)

Lafawnda - CBR600 - '01 Honda CBR600 F4i
90 day: 47.32 mpg (US)

Big Yeller - Dodge/Cummins - '98 Dodge Ram 2500 base
90 day: 21.82 mpg (US)

Mazda CX-5 - '17 Mazda CX-5 Touring
90 day: 26.68 mpg (US)

Chevy ZR-2 - '03 Chevrolet S10 ZR2
90 day: 17.14 mpg (US)

Model Y - '24 Tesla Y LR AWD
Thanked 4,390 Times in 3,364 Posts
I'll reiterate the point Darcane made about placing the better traction tires on the rear of the truck. The unweighted rear of a truck is already prone to stepping out and causing severe oversteer. This happened to me recently, and I had to put the truck into neutral to get the rear end to hook back up with the front. It was extremely dangerous, and generally more dangerous than than having understeer.

Put the tires with best traction on the rear of a truck, but ideally put the proper tire for the conditions on all 4 corners.

Give me absolute safety, or give me death!
Old 12-16-2013, 08:04 PM   #8 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

KLR650 - '10 Kawasaki KLR650

6.4 - '19 Ram 3500

All Black - '19 Kawasaki Vulcan S
Yes, put the studded tires on all fours. But don't blame the tires for the total mpg loss. You're pushing through snow and that takes more gas no matter what tire you run. It's colder, so you probably let the truck idle longer to warm up... needlessly. You're probably driving slower and not at optimal mpg speed and also taking longer to get wherever it is you're going... not to mention the much slower city driving and idling.

And remember... Winter driving is fun!

Old 12-16-2013, 09:39 PM   #9 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Pickups

Quote:
Originally Posted by star_deceiver View Post
Yes, put the studded tires on all fours. But don't blame the tires for the total mpg loss. You're pushing through snow and that takes more gas no matter what tire you run. It's colder, so you probably let the truck idle longer to warm up... needlessly. You're probably driving slower and not at optimal mpg speed and also taking longer to get wherever it is you're going... not to mention the much slower city driving and idling.

And remember... Winter driving is fun!

I did some driving with the studded tires on in normal winter weather after the snow and ice went away and before I put my all seasons back on. By comparison at highway speeds I am down a solid 3 mpgs.

Reply  Post New Thread