EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   1993 Geo Metro brake rotors won't come off (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/1993-geo-metro-brake-rotors-wont-come-off-647.html)

LibbyMetro 01-14-2008 07:00 PM

1993 Geo Metro brake rotors won't come off

hey guys im trying to get lil red going again , my 93 metro, and i got new front pads and rotors for it , i have the calipers off and all bolts off the wheel assembly , any idea to why the wheel hub wont come off to allow me to pull off my rotors?

Frank Lee 01-14-2008 07:04 PM

Rust. It may very well take a BFH to get 'em off.

LibbyMetro 01-14-2008 07:08 PM

well the rotor is free from the hub , and the axle shaft pivots freely on the hub , so what is it rusted to?

AndrewJ 01-14-2008 07:25 PM

I don't know about the Metro, but Hondas have two #00 Philips screws that hold the rotor to the hub. It usually takes an impact-screwdriver to get them off, and then either some sharp kicks or a BFH to the outer edge of the rotor.

jazzie604 01-14-2008 07:26 PM

does the hub press fit together?

SVOboy 01-14-2008 07:54 PM

If it's rust I would just hit it really hard with a hammer and break the rotor to free it, :)

Frank Lee 01-14-2008 09:25 PM

Let's back up just a moment. The wheel hub doesn't need to come off- just the rotor. So the lug nuts and wheel are off already- are the two little screws in each rotor out too? If so, the only thing between you and removed rotors is rust.

Coyote X 01-14-2008 09:59 PM

A slide hammer is about the only way you are going to get it off without taking the entire thing apart and putting it in a vise.

http://www.teamswift.net/viewtopic.p...rotors+removal

You could use a gear puller and a hammer but it might bend it and your hub. I would just go to the auto parts store and pick up a slide hammer they are really no that expensive and if you ever need the rotors off again you will be glad you have it.

LibbyMetro 01-14-2008 11:12 PM

the metros brakes arent like most other cars frank , it has an outer hub , you have to remove it to get to the rotor, i asked a friend tonight and he told me how, theres no set screw , hew said its rusted to a metal sleeve and you need a puller, thanks all for your help

Frank Lee 01-15-2008 12:11 AM

I've replaced front rotors on a Metro with my own two hands. On this I know of what I speak.

LibbyMetro 01-15-2008 11:15 AM

than you havent done it on a 93, there are no two little screws two remove until 95, the outer hub has to come off on a 93

Frank Lee 01-15-2008 01:06 PM

OH! That may be, I worked on a '97. Sorry!

LibbyMetro 01-15-2008 03:44 PM

thats ok, i appreciate all your guys' help and info :)

DAN 02-14-2008 03:57 AM

the hub and rotors are one picse and must come off that car??

bigrobrn 05-24-2008 05:19 PM

1st time poster!

I am at this exact point on my 1996 Geo Metro 1.3L restoration project.

The screws in the hub, outer hub area are stripped and won't come out. I assume they will have to be drilled out or attempted to be removed by using one of those stripped screw removal bits.

Once the 2 set screws are removed, then use a slide hammer?

Thanks for any advice guys!
I appreciate this site!
Can't wait to get my gas-sipper going!

SVOboy 05-24-2008 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigrobrn (Post 28183)
I am at this exact point on my 1996 Geo Metro 1.3L restoration project.

The screws in the hub, outer hub area are stripped and won't come out. I assume they will have to be drilled out or attempted to be removed by using one of those stripped screw removal bits.

Once the 2 set screws are removed, then use a slide hammer?

Thanks for any advice guys!
I appreciate this site!
Can't wait to get my gas-sipper going!

That sounds like a pretty good plan, I would say go for it and see if it works.

Welcome to ecomodder!

alacreta11 02-26-2009 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LibbyMetro (Post 5448)
the metros brakes arent like most other cars frank , it has an outer hub , you have to remove it to get to the rotor, i asked a friend tonight and he told me how, theres no set screw , hew said its rusted to a metal sleeve and you need a puller, thanks all for your help

HI
You are at the same point of replacing the brake rotor that I am with my 1992 Geo.
You say that your friend told you how to remove the hub. Could you tell me?
Is the hub nut keyed? Does it have right or left handed threads? I am replacing the left
( passenger side) brake rotor and pads. Also could you possibly know the exact part number? Thank you for your help.

Coyote X 02-26-2009 11:57 PM

Pretty much the best way is with a slide hammer. Just get one and it will be obvious how to attach it and get it to work :)

There are other ways to get it off though if you want to try other things. I have even taken the knuckle off the car and just tapped it out from the back side with a hammer. But a slide hammer is not that expensive so it is really the best bet.

The best thing to upgrade is find the front knuckles and brakes off a 96 up car and rear drums. You don't need the entire rear brakes, just the drums. Grab the 13 inch rims while you are at it and upgrade the whole thing. The advantage is you can now find tires a lot easier and you get a bit better gearing for mileage. Also don't forget to grab the 13 inch speedometer gear to keep your speedometer reading accurately. The wheel bearings on the 96 up cars are much easier to replace also. No slide hammer required for 96 up cars.

energy0uth 02-27-2009 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alacreta11 (Post 89909)
HI
You are at the same point of replacing the brake rotor that I am with my 1992 Geo.
You say that your friend told you how to remove the hub. Could you tell me?
Is the hub nut keyed? Does it have right or left handed threads? I am replacing the left
( passenger side) brake rotor and pads. Also could you possibly know the exact part number? Thank you for your help.

you should not have to pull the hub to do your rotors unless I missed something by not reading above.

if you do just get necessary tools and if the rotor won't come off use a rubber mallet and a large pry bar. google any problems someone else has probably done this already

Formula413 03-02-2009 07:46 PM

A propane torch can be a big help, provided there is nothing in close proximity that could be damaged by the heat.