EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   2-3cyl diesel (smallest footprint) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2-3cyl-diesel-smallest-footprint-40128.html)

new_bug 04-05-2022 11:47 PM

2-3cyl diesel (smallest footprint)

I'm looking for any suggestions of model/brand small diesel engines from any kind of offroad, industrial use or salvage-(equipment, generators, boats or tractors) ~15hp--- upto around 25-28hp, with as short as reasonably possible LENGTH. I don't expect anyone to remember all these kinds of specs, so if anything comes to mind as reasonably compact or good power to weight, etc I'd appreciate it!

Air or water cooled, direct or indirect injection, but must be diesel. I would consider 13-16hp if I found the right deal on something, but 18-25hp or a little more would be great as well.

I wonder anyone has any thoughts on a few possible options or specific models to keep an eye out for used/salvage. Specifically: ANY 2cyl or super compact 3cyl diesels.

I keep looking for a f2L511?? Deutz air cooled.. or similar but haven't found anything yet. (I know, ancient). I've seen them on water pumps run forever. Seem to be lots of 3-4cyl Kubotas (in tractors) but I haven't seen a Kubota that fits my limited footprint yet locally. Mitsubishi, Isuzu, Yanmar (marine ex- 2gm20), whatever reefer / generator diesel engines are commonly used, if I'm sure there might be many others????

I have seen quite a few good posts about small diesel engines, swaps, diesel-electric hybrid setups, etc here on ecomodder over the years as a long time (mostly) lurker so I thought it wouldn't be too off topic. If there's a better place for this, please feel free to move it. Looking to find an engine first and then figure out what frame etc to use. I'm not going to be concerned with high speed, mostly 20-30mph max dirt and gravel.

BackroadBomber 04-06-2022 06:26 PM

I have a kabota d662 3cyl sitting in my garage. I can measure and take pics of you want. It’s out of a 90’s reel gang mower. Rated for about 19hp 30-ish ftlbs torque it’s small i can pick it up myself probably around 60lbs and it’s water cooled.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-06-2022 10:11 PM

What vehicle are you considering to fit that engine? BTW maybe you could take a look at those 400-Series Perkins engines, either in the 0.7L or 1.1L versions. They're quite compact.

new_bug 04-10-2022 08:03 PM

Thanks so much for the mention of the d662 kubota, I was aware of the d722 as I've run those in mini skidsteers, but now know of the d622/d782 which all 3 seem pretty similar (18hp ~64kg or 141lb & 16.7"x15.3"x20.4"(H) without fan). Called the super mini series. DOES seem like one of the best power to weight choices, but there are other compact 3cyl out there and I'd like to find more info about any 2cyl around the 20hp range...

I will keep my feelers out for Perkins, but I don't seem see many, especially "newer ones" like the 400 series, at least outside of marine uses, around here.

I would like to learn more about any Yanmars that are in this similar class 13-25hp, 2-3 cyl, compact. A lot of the 3TNxxxx models I'm coming across are running slightly on the larger side.

I'm finding a lot of Carrier reefers some with Kubotas that might work, Thermoking reefers with Yanmars that don't seem easily compatible (1800rpm plate no throttle). One thing about most of the Kubotas & Yanmar, they run upto 3000-3600 rpm , whereas quite a few small diesels don't like to be reved that high... I'm open to Isuzu & Mitsubishi, and others though! I know there are lots of other models of Kubota I should look into, but the 3 cyl super mini models mentioned above do seem like one of the most promising. I would still like to find any more 2cyl diesels that might be worth further looking into. One I've come across locally is the z650/z750 Kubota (50-70kg, 15.6"x17.3"x21.5"(H) and ~14hp). Any 2cylinders in the 16-20hp range that I could look into further, would be greatly appreciated...

And finally I don't actually have a frame picked out yet, "diesel motorcycle" has just always been on my list of life goals and now I have the shop space to it. I would lean towards a 80s-90s "universal japanese motorcycle" of any type if I could make that work without modifying a frame, but anything from a "somewhat more upright" sportsbike or something larger like a honda pacific coast, to a mid-large size dual sport from many brands - could be considered. I see many bikes with blown engine or similar priced cheap- that could be candidates, and I have one large 2-wheeler salvage yard locally I could use as a resource to measure/compare/etc..

Thanks again for the input

freebeard 04-10-2022 10:38 PM

It seems like the basic choice would be shaft- or belt-drive.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-11-2022 11:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by new_bug (Post 665929)
1800rpm plate no throttle

You'd need the injector pump to be fitted with a variable-speed governor, set for a higher RPM too. Otherwise the engines are exactly the same, regardless if it's rated at 1800 RPM or 3000 RPM.