EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2 Stroke - 40% efficiency ICE - 100mpg (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2-stroke-40-efficiency-ice-100mpg-15988.html)

redneck 02-02-2011 08:53 AM

2 Stroke - 40% efficiency ICE - 100mpg

Check it out.

Saving the World Two Strokes at a Time at Hemmings Blog – Classic and collectible cars and parts

For a good demo, See:

Watch "Opposed Piston Opposed Cylinder Engine" Video at Engineering TV

>

some_other_dave 02-02-2011 06:32 PM

That video says a lot more about the engine than the web page did. Thanks for posting it; sounds pretty neat if they can make it reliable!

I wonder what the thermo efficiency of a turbo-diesel is, anyway? Or for a two-stroke turbo-diesel?

-soD

roflwaffle 02-02-2011 07:44 PM

Say what? 40% BTE will get them about 55mpg combined in something like a Prius, assuming they keep the engine in the same range of loads/speeds. 100mpg would require something about half the weight/CdA.

Piwoslaw 02-03-2011 07:31 AM

It appears that this idea keeps showing up in the media, but never in vehicles...

New 2-stroke Diesel engine, cool link to Engineering TV

Opposed-piston opposed-cylinder engine claims 50% FE increase

Allch Chcar 02-04-2011 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by some_other_dave (Post 218339)
That video says a lot more about the engine than the web page did. Thanks for posting it; sounds pretty neat if they can make it reliable!

I wonder what the thermo efficiency of a turbo-diesel is, anyway? Or for a two-stroke turbo-diesel?

-soD

TDIs are around 40-45% efficient over a fairly wide range. Spark Ignition ICE aka Gasoline engine tend to be around 35-37% at peak efficiency.

I'm pretty psyched about the horizontally opposed engine, although I'm not too happy that they're diesel only, I suppose it could be adapted to alcohol if that ever takes off.

redneck 02-04-2011 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piwoslaw (Post 218407)
It appears that this idea keeps showing up in the media, but never in vehicles...

New 2-stroke Diesel engine, cool link to Engineering TV

Opposed-piston opposed-cylinder engine claims 50% FE increase

Oopps, I didn't realize that this was that old. (my bad)

Seeing that the military has first dibs, it will probably be quite some time before it is released to the general public, if ever.

The prospects of a small and efficent high horse power engine like this is still intriging to say the least.

>

Big Dave 02-07-2011 12:08 AM

Get back to us when you find a way to make a two-stroker pass the EPA HC emission standards.

Why do you supposed the two stroke engine disappeared from the road in the first place?

Piwoslaw 02-07-2011 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Dave (Post 218975)
Get back to us when you find a way to make a two-stroker pass the EPA HC emission standards.

Why do you supposed the two stroke engine disappeared from the road in the first place?

Why 2-Stroke Direct Injection is a Big Deal
Bourke Engine

UFO 02-07-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Allch Chcar (Post 218582)

I'm pretty psyched about the horizontally opposed engine, although I'm not too happy that they're diesel only, I suppose it could be adapted to alcohol if that ever takes off.

What's your issue with diesels?

Big Dave 02-11-2011 06:11 PM

Two stroke, direct injection, uses a supercharger for scavenging rather than bottom of the piston, no need to mix oil and fuel.

You just described a 6-71 Detroit Diesel. Same thing with opposed pistons is a Fairbanks-Morse diesel. Detroits had a high power-to-weight ratio as diesels go. F-Ms will run on anything remotely oily. Neither was particularly clean.