EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   20 Year-Old Modified Honda CRX HF Scores 118 MPG in Fuel Economy Run (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/20-year-old-modified-honda-crx-hf-scores-9873.html)

SVOboy 08-28-2009 12:50 PM

20 Year-Old Modified Honda CRX HF Scores 118 MPG in Fuel Economy Run

In the pantheon of very efficient production cars, there are perhaps three Hondas that truly stand out: the first generation Insight hybrid, the lean burn Civic VX, and the CRX HF. Recently, a CRX HF owner further cemented that car’s status on the list by achieving a stunning 118 mpg (US) in a fuel economy rally [...] Related posts:
  1. EcoModder Takes Home Four Awards at the AMEC Fuel Economy Run
  2. Drive Like a Trucker for Great Fuel Economy
  3. New York Auto Show: Honda FCX Clarity Wins World Green Car of the Year Awards

More...

MadisonMPG 08-28-2009 01:09 PM

Impressive, i'd like to know the rolling resistance of the tires though. Because snow tires are really soft, and that number is ridiculous.

SVOboy 08-28-2009 01:11 PM

Despite being winter tires, those are the lowest rolling resistance tires that can be bought.

Matt Herring 08-28-2009 01:36 PM

I've been talking to Chang about the Nokian tires he used and he swears by the Nokian Hakka R (non-studded) and Hakka 5 (studded) for LRR. I don't have any LRR stats to use to compare them to other tires but I remember an LRR tire list being on this site about 6 months ago...thought I bookmarked it but can't find it now...anybody still have it? Being that the tires were winter tires not sure they would be on the list anyway.

I have quite some time before I have to replace my stock Goodyear Integrities (only 9k on them now) but I would consider running the Hakka R when it is time to replace them (or the Hakka 5 studded in the winter if I find my stock Integrities do not perform well this winter...costly though running two sets of tires during the year).

Obviously, Chang had a tremendous amount of mods on his car but I can't imagine the tires didn't contribute to the high mpg he got.

pgfpro 08-28-2009 02:02 PM

Man this is great info. I'm going to have to find some of these tires.

Major Kudos to Chang for his impressive FE.:thumbup:

SVOboy 08-28-2009 02:21 PM

Chang sells them :p

NeilBlanchard 08-28-2009 02:28 PM

Hi Ben,

Thanks for posting this -- I just went downtown to go and introduce myself to Chang, but he had just left. I'm sure I'll catch him at some point.

BTW, my Michelin X-Ice snow tires (that I bought from TireRack.com) are also low rolling resistance -- they are noticeably better than my Yokohama "summer" tires.

SVOboy 08-28-2009 02:31 PM

Yeah, my yokohama all seasons sucked pretty good.

PS: Darin did the actual article, so he deserves the credit for it!

pgfpro 08-28-2009 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SVOboy (Post 124383)
Chang sells them :p

Is he on here? LOL

SVOboy 08-28-2009 02:35 PM

I've been thinking about how we could trick him to sign up :p