EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2000 insight good deal? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2000-insight-good-deal-28792.html)

doless 04-24-2014 11:54 PM

2000 insight good deal?

Sorry ahead of time, if there's somewhere else this should be posted just let me know.

I've been looking for a clean insight to get into hypermiling for a while/ this looks to be a one owner, everything replaced one and it just got listed. On the other side 5500 seems a bit steep for a 14 year old/high mileage car.

2000 Honda insight

Basically just wondering how decent a deal this is and if I should jump on it or wait. They don't pop up often in Michigan.

Thanks

Zach

Ryland 04-25-2014 08:14 AM

On one hand, it is above blue book value.
On the other hand, like you pointed out, they don't come up for sale.

So you have to ask your self, how much are you willing to pay for a car that you otherwise can't find.

People who own them like them and don't want to sell them, there were also a very limited number of them built.

I have not talked to anyone who's bought one with a 5 speed that paid much less then that asking price without the car needing some kind of repairs.
But you know how I get good deals on cars? wait and watch that car, if no one else buys it in a few weeks then call the seller up and go look at it, only after looking at it ask how much they would be willing to reduce the price.

Also, if you want to get a good deal, make sure you have cash, non of this "I just need to wait a few weeks to get paid" if they say they will sell it to you for less, assume that they will also sell it to someone else for even less if you don't return that day with money in hand, because for all you know, if you tell them you can give them $2,500 in their hand, they might just take it.

Or there might be someone who wants that car more then you and is willing to pay the full $5,500 for it without question.

Daox 04-25-2014 08:52 AM

Seems high to me. I'd pay that for a Insight, but not with that many miles on it.

Insight for life 04-25-2014 11:13 AM

It looks like it could be a decent deal. He seems to stay on top of the maintenance. But you should always account for an extr $2000 for a battery no matter what they say the condition is. That way you wont be disappointed if it needs on in a week or month. Good luck with your search for an insight.

doless 04-25-2014 12:08 PM

thanks for the responses.

Yeah i kind of figured it was going to be high end.

He said the battery was replaced under warranty and he has the paperwork, but wasn't the insight one of those weird hybrids where it could run fine without a working battery as well (sacrificing mpg but still)?

I'll probably end up waiting, if someone buys it no worries, if they don't, cash offer inbound.

The real budget option would be something like this if i don't feel like waiting around. My buddy had one of these that was unkillable.

2000 Toyota Echo

jamesqf 04-25-2014 12:39 PM

I'd buy it, if I didn't have one already. About the same miles, too.

user removed 04-25-2014 12:46 PM

I'd get the Echo and a 1000 gallon gas card.

regards
Mech