Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2013, 05:48 PM   #1 (permalink)
Slow steppin'

2013 Coachman 21QBC - '12 Chevy Express 4500 RV
2011 Kia Forte 5 Hatchback 2.0L

Hello all,

I have a 2011 Kia Forte 5 Hatchback that I drive when I'm not on the road in my Cargo Hurse (Van).

I am new to ecomodding and hypermiling but I have to say it's not only something to turn driving into a joy to beat the evil oil companies and mother nature sometimes, but it certainly gets the mind going as to what can be done next. I guess it's like re-discovering the car again, but this time it will benefit not just me, but the rest of the world as well.

It's crazy that for 35+ years I been driving along and never once did it occur to me to throw it in neutral, not once

I am used to getting around 32 mpg in this car. We will see what the ecomadness has added to that total. The wind blows all the time out here in NW Ohio, so in addition to ecomadness techniques, I may start modding this car. Maybe 42mpg....We shall see....

As with the Cargo Hurse, as I go I will post with pics.
Mark

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2011_Kia_Forte5Hatchback.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	49.7 KB
ID:	12849  
Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-07-2013, 08:18 PM   #2 (permalink)
Slow steppin'

I just added my first fuel log and it comes out to be 36.41 - better than 32, the norm. Most of the driving has been country, small town and one country highway trip (through Smalltown America) as I call it. Speeds ran between 0-55 mph. Coasting where ever I could made the difference. The Moditudinal Unit is coming around, she may start eco driving the Rio as well.

The difference in annual cost is about 817 bucks at 3.60 a gallon. The fuel prices go up and down as you know, so I had to pick what I thought a good price average would be.

The easiest adjustment I have ever made that paid off, instantly.
Mark

Last edited by Coroner; 04-07-2013 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: spelling
Old 04-14-2013, 01:47 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

'10 Kia Forte EX 2.0 - '10 Kia Forte EX
90 day: 37.29 mpg (US)
I have a 2010 Forte Sedan. I had a 40+ mpg tank a few weeks back. Some mods will definitely get you there. The grill block got me the biggest gains. Still want to do a smooth underbelly.

Is yours auto or manual. I know Kia went to a six speed auto in 2011 that gets better mileage than the four speed I have.
Old 04-14-2013, 01:15 PM   #4 (permalink)
Slow steppin'

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsatter View Post
I have a 2010 Forte Sedan. I had a 40+ mpg tank a few weeks back. Some mods will definitely get you there. The grill block got me the biggest gains. Still want to do a smooth underbelly.

Is yours auto or manual. I know Kia went to a six speed auto in 2011 that gets better mileage than the four speed I have.
Hi jsatter,

It's the 2.0L with the 6 spd auto. The auto can be fully automatic or you can manually shift the gears by pulling the stick to a side position. I really like the design of this kind of tranny. If you want to hold it in gear a little longer to get the full range of the gear you can, but this would not be eco driving .

You can also influence the shifting a little sooner as well.

Right now, I'm just popping it back and forth to N for coasting with the engine on, keeping the tires up and slow accelerations where possible. The main detriment to mpg's out here is the high winds (5-40, this year seems crazier than others in the past) all the time in different directions. It adds greatly as a tail wind, but kicks pretty hard as a headwind/sidewind.

I have looked over the little design things that Kia has put on my Forte 5 and they actually have wheel spats front and rear, and a front air dam, a roof spoiler at the back of the roof. It also appears that they stopped short on all of them. The dam could be dropped another inch, the spats the same and so on. So this is a great opportunity to extend what's there! and see what happens...

I will probably wait to go as far as a belly pan, but the grill block seems interesting.

Before I started driving using eco, this car ran at 32 mpg and often dropped to 28, so keeping it up at the 35-36+ is making me a happy modder, if there is such a thing.

Prior to owning this car, I had a 2006 Kia Spectra EX, which had the 4 spd and the 2.0L and it could get up to 38 mpg, which is why I stayed with Kia for my next cars.

I have a Moditudinal Unit that drives the 2011 Kia Rio LX. She's commin' around to this coasting thing as she watches me do it, and the difference it's making in mpg on the Forte. She doesn't do a whole lot of driving to begin with, but when she does, it's double footed. Maybe some velcro on the left leg can fix that, LOL. Oh well, it's something patience(sic) can cure. She really does support the things I want to do and even goes with me to get the stuff I'm gonna use for the mods , so I guess I can't complain...

As I go, I'll keep posting,
Mark

Last edited by Coroner; 04-14-2013 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: added info
Old 04-14-2013, 04:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
OCD Master EcoModder

Outasight - '00 Honda Insight
Team Honda
Gen-1 Insights
90 day: 54.18 mpg (US)
I envy you for your Moditudinal Unit. Mine is not nearly as supportive of my ecomodding interests. Count your blessings.
Old 04-14-2013, 07:23 PM   #6 (permalink)
Hydrogen > EV

Silver Flea - '05 Honda Insight
90 day: 58.96 mpg (US)
I am also in the Northwest, now, a bit east of you, though. Impressive on your jump in MPG! I am loving this warm weather for the mileage. Last for me was just under 34, and I am betting this weather will only bring it up more.

The grille block is a great starting point.

The only thing, is that the semi auto transmissions can be pretty limited. The computers still think they know better. I was test driving a Regal Turbo the other day, and they only had the semi, no standard. Well, they wouldn't let me go under 1200 rpms. It has way more torque than my current vehicle, which pulls as low as 600 rpms. Total rubbish.

But the semi is better than nothing. I look forward to following your progress!

Best Tanks:
Mustang - 54.83 mpg (US) at the Green Grand Prix
Insight - 82.91966 mpg (US) over 818.5 miles.
Reply  Post New Thread

Tags
ecomadness, forte, kia