Go Back   EcoModder Forum > Introductions
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-11-2012, 01:16 AM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

NuGi

Hey, I currentlydrive a 2010 Honda Insight EX getting 44.5 MPG. Sooo disappointed because my 02 Insight got better than 53 MPG. I just broke my lower rear hatch window accidently hitting a lower branch behind me backing into my parking spot at home. Quickly spiked a 2x4 down for a cheap wheel block...Caled my favorite glass shop for a replacement and will know the damages tomorrow.
I quickly put some high miles on my 02 Insight because itwas so fun to drive. I routinely drove 150 mi+ a day roundtrip to go to work on the electronics warfare training range in Northern NV. The dimminutive 3 cyl engine worked hard on highway miles. The engine always got frequent oil changes and filter but the valve train sounded pretty noisy at close to 150K. I think I got a good fair trade-in towards my 2010 I bought new on earth day that year. I wish I could fine tune the CVT to go to a lower ratio when traveling at highway speed on level terrain. A good programmer could put in an electronic level and automatically drop speed when facing hill climbs (by any% selected) and alternately increase ground speed incrementally when going down hill. Maybe a pitot tube to measure wind speed vs ground speed to perform similar function. Has anyone considered performing weight reduction surgery on the body components to shave off weight? I try to keep my tires slightly over pressurized 1-2 lbs front and rear to provide maximum benefits of the tire contact tread performance for dry paved roads. Now about 32K miles on the new Insight after having spent about 4 yrs in Iraq for God and Country. I want to build a 3 wheel hybrid to morph something akin to a new Maserati,XP-3, Vortech, Yamaha XR-9000, Apterra. and make it aluminum, composite, carbon fiber. Is this asking too much? I have some background as a mechanic, motorcyclist, MQ-1B UAV Avionics tech and recent training as a flight simulator technician and friend of the LV Electric Vehicle Assoc. I love restoring my clasic cars and designed and built my own energy efficient home in Northern Nevada.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 05-15-2012, 11:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Welcome! Sorry about your glass. w/o full coverage, it's going to hurt.

Suggest you pose reprograming questions in the Hybrid section.

Go for the 3 wheeler idea. Your location should be great for that!

Sounds like you have the skills to make it happen.

I could use more of your weather in my rainy area, though it's fine right now!
06 Chev MonteC JG#24tribute car 30mpg 00 Honda Insight 63MPG 98 Buick Park Ave3.8 33MPG 89 Toyota Corolla wag 53MPG so far 81 VW Rabbit diesel pu 50MPG+ 80 Mercedes 240D stick 30-ish 90 vette 6-speed,29ish 07 Honda ST1300 55MPG 83 Honda 650 GL 64MPG 19 Suzuki dr200 88MPG23 HondaGrom?+Tow K10D Sub 26mpg NEVER,NEVER GIVE UP!
PUMP THOSE TIRES UP!
DRIVE IN YOUR SOCKS FOR SENSITIVITY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SLOW DOWN AND SMOOTH UP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![SIGPIC]
The Following User Says Thank You to larrybuck For This Useful Post:
jwsherwinengr (05-26-2012)
Old 05-26-2012, 06:08 AM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Nugi

Got the Insight window fixed good and w/o a smoked rear lower. Adding proximity warning sensors would be nice or modding a digital touch free tape measure even better. perhaps a good Arduino project. I spotted some dual 603 hub motors and immediately thought of a three wheeled adventure and adding a lithium polymer battery pack do power it all up. Keeping it real and lightweight. Minimal body design with low drag coefficient numbers in mind. No outside mirrors and full skirting for front wheels, just make the rear steerable with a high speed lockout for wide turns. Fork each wheel for easier weight and handling control. I see something sweet. Gotta get on my engineering 3D drawing...
Old 05-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

number 9 - '89 Geo Metro LSi
90 day: 49.25 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwsherwinengr View Post
. . .full skirting for front wheels, just make the rear steerable with a high speed lockout for wide turns. Fork each wheel for easier weight and handling control.
Make yourself a simple prototype of that rear-steer idea before you get in too deep. It's been tried many times, with bad results.

Reply  Post New Thread