EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hybrids (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hybrids.html)
-   -   2008 Civic IMA Issues (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2008-civic-ima-issues-29618.html)

DOHCschwab 07-31-2014 07:27 AM

2008 Civic IMA Issues

Edit

Daox 07-31-2014 09:33 AM

I'm no expert, but I would probably start with a grid charger if you want to keep this simple. Otherwise you'll have to pull out the pack and evaluate the cells.

cowmeat 07-31-2014 01:57 PM

It seems like it would make more sense to fix it since it has relatively low miles on it, than to sell it. You're gonna get maybe five grand for it, and that will just buy you somebody else's problem car.
As long as the CVT is holding out I'd either get the grid charger or see if anybody in your area works on the battery packs. There's a guy in my area that rebuilds them for like half of the price the dealer quoted you

Wait a minute! Since you're from Kentucky, doesn't it make more sense to fix it by putting a piece of electrical tape over the IMA light?

Cobb 07-31-2014 05:22 PM

Depends on the ima codes. Could be a bad BCM, PTC strip or a thermal issue.

Maybe the blower is acting up or the intake is clogged?

DOHCschwab 07-31-2014 05:29 PM

Edit

DOHCschwab 07-31-2014 05:32 PM

edit

Ryland 07-31-2014 07:09 PM

I would start out by checking or even replacing the 12v starter battery, from what I understand if the 12v battery is on it's last legs everything will act fine but the light will come on, of course the dealership should have checked that... but they don't always do things like that.

Most auto part stores around here will load test the 12v battery to see if it's good, they should also be able to plug in an OBDII reader and tell you what the other codes are.

Cobb 07-31-2014 08:31 PM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...vic-13610.html A P1447 & P1449 means the battery is worn out. Its less than 10% of its original capacity. The P1449 means over heated battery pack. :eek:

Quote:

Originally Posted by DOHCschwab (Post 437965)
Got any direct links to exact code translations on this site?

sheepdog 44 07-31-2014 08:44 PM

After you get the codes, disconnecting the 12 volt battery for a few minutes will reset the car and may make it "driveable." Some IMA codes are not detrimental, like the one for "excess heat." But driving with those codes makes the car want to baby the IMA battery. Stopping assist or regen, or failing to charge the 12 volt battery. Your battery may still be capable of functioning normally, resetting the cars computers make it behave.

DOHCschwab 08-01-2014 07:23 AM

edit

DOHCschwab 08-01-2014 05:50 PM

****UPDATE****

So I drove the Hybrid today to work (both IMA and engine lights present in the morning). This afternoon when I drove home, the IMA light was off and engine light was still on. So, I stopped by a local auto parts store.

They said they couldn't 'load' test my starter battery but could run the codes.

POA7F

That was the only code present.

Thoughts?

Cobb 08-02-2014 02:16 PM

Okay, the P0A7F is the 2005+ version of a P1447. It means the battery has dropped below 10% of its' original capacity.

A grid charge/maintenance charge will help this. Its likely you got some cells out of balance and they are pooping out before the other cells causing the over all pack to give up the ghost.

DOHCschwab 08-02-2014 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 438264)
Okay, the P0A7F is the 2005+ version of a P1447. It means the battery has dropped below 10% of its' original capacity.

A grid charge/maintenance charge will help this. Its likely you got some cells out of balance and they are pooping out before the other cells causing the over all pack to give up the ghost.

Thank you - Grid Charger will be my next investment then. I'm gonna search through this site and see which grid charger I need. Any recommendations on a grid charger?

Cobb 08-02-2014 05:26 PM

You can build one your self stacking a few led power supplies by mean well. Basically you hook the outputs in serial and the inputs in parallel. You adjust them for a certain voltage depending on your pack and drivers side door jam sticker. Is yours 144 volts? I cant remember which, but one year of HCH they added some extra cells making it 156 volts or so. :eek:

Ultra Cheap Grid Charger - Insight Central: Honda Insight Forum

DOHCschwab 08-03-2014 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 438301)
You can build one your self stacking a few led power supplies by mean well. Basically you hook the outputs in serial and the inputs in parallel. You adjust them for a certain voltage depending on your pack and drivers side door jam sticker. Is yours 144 volts? I cant remember which, but one year of HCH they added some extra cells making it 156 volts or so. :eek:

Unfortunately I dont have the proper time this month or next to sit down and build one.

Looks like Hybrid Automotive system is popular....

elhigh 08-07-2014 09:24 AM

Hey,

I got the Hybrid Automotive grid charger when my 03 HCH started throwing low battery codes. It was a real kick seeing the voltage output slowly climb over the next several hours.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that my battery also has a small short in at least one cell, since I've never gotten to the point of ramping down the current to finish off the battery at peak voltage. But even so, whenever I get the low voltage code - I don't even put on the reader anymore, I just see the IMA light and put it on the charger overnight - the grid charger is sufficient to balance the pack enough and usually, with a couple of overnights on the charger, it's good for at least six weeks of IMA light-free driving.

That's a lot cheaper than a new pack. I'd love a new pack, especially the upgraded, high-capacity models some places are touting. But this was affordable, so here we are. And it keeps the car's fuel economy in the stratosphere, so it's all gravy to me.

DOHCschwab 08-07-2014 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 438884)
Hey,

I got the Hybrid Automotive grid charger when my 03 HCH started throwing low battery codes. It was a real kick seeing the voltage output slowly climb over the next several hours.

Since then I've come to the conclusion that my battery also has a small short in at least one cell, since I've never gotten to the point of ramping down the current to finish off the battery at peak voltage. But even so, whenever I get the low voltage code - I don't even put on the reader anymore, I just see the IMA light and put it on the charger overnight - the grid charger is sufficient to balance the pack enough and usually, with a couple of overnights on the charger, it's good for at least six weeks of IMA light-free driving.

That's a lot cheaper than a new pack. I'd love a new pack, especially the upgraded, high-capacity models some places are touting. But this was affordable, so here we are. And it keeps the car's fuel economy in the stratosphere, so it's all gravy to me.

Wonderful info! Thanks :thumbup:

I've read up on chargers and Hybrids seems to be the way to go. I haven't shopped for a good price but did notice that on ebay they go for about 430+14= $443. Anyone reading wanna chime in on a better place to buy from?

Thanks

Cobb 08-07-2014 08:37 PM

You could join the insightcentral.net site and see if you can get one from placing an ad in the want ad section.

If you are going to own a hybrid this is a nice tool to keep its battery in good shape. Think Im the only one with the newer insight that owns and uses one several times a year. Yes, even the new packs get out of balance over time with daily use.