EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   2008 Dodge Dakota AeroCap (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2008-dodge-dakota-aerocap-6869.html)

electricman 01-23-2009 04:42 PM

2008 Dodge Dakota AeroCap

I have been doing some work this past summer on a newly leased 2008 Dodge Dakota that I traded in my 2005 Optra Wagon to acquire jast January 30th. (2008)

It was picked up for two reasons -

a) - No problem towing my EV to shops, shows, etc. ( Electricfly - MyElectricfly.com )

b) - to do a project on relative to some I have seen - this has resulted in my first project - AeroCap - still in work and can be seen at my blog - Dodge Dakota Aerocap

This is not the finished product - by rather the project is at the stage of fine-tuning the smoothout and fill the surfaces and prepare for Glassing, Painting and polishing as a Plug to make Molds from to make parts from!

The numbers so far -

Truck Spec - Canada - Highway Rating is 9.8 L/100 Km.
My Truck with Aero Cap clamped in place - driving from Downsview to Bracebridge & Return, 350 kms return, cruise control set at 110 Kms, climbing hills and driving in and out of town - actual results = 10.1 L/100 Km, Plus Less Noise in the Cab (Much quieter with AeroCap on, than with it off - nd sound Db Numbers on this yet).

The Drive To BraceBridge from: Dufferin & Wilson Ave. Toronto to: 13-505 Highway 118 West, Bracebridge, ONT. & Return - Google Maps

General Images -

September 4th, 2008 - http://www.aircraft-computational.co...shed-shape.jpg

November 4th, 2008 - http://www.aircraft-computational.co...ht-profile.jpg

Big Dave 01-23-2009 08:23 PM

Good looking shape. More, please.

Frank Lee 01-23-2009 08:38 PM

Yes, more. As in, more fuel log data.

Cd 01-23-2009 08:46 PM

Looks good.

There is a fellow that used to post a lot over at the Gassavers forum that had a Dakota aero cap.
He made his out of some sort of clear lexan material.
He also had it lowered, had sideskirts, and even gap fillers for the wheels.

( It was also a blue extended cap like you have )

I don't visit that forum anymore, so I couldn't find an image of it.

Anyone here familiar with the vehicle that I am talking about ?

I just thought you might like to trade thoughts with the guy. ( He did a very professional job of it too )

aerohead 01-24-2009 02:22 PM

AeroCap

She's a "looker." Ford got 10% better mpg out of their's,your's should be as good.

Cd 01-24-2009 03:46 PM

Aero, I know you are at Gassavers a lot. Do you recall seeing the Dakota that I was talking about on that forum ?

Frank Lee 01-24-2009 04:06 PM

Wyont ya just search it there? Ar ya banned?

Is this it?

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/AeroCap1.jpg

http://i146.photobucket.com/albums/r...r/AeroCap3.jpg

Cd 01-24-2009 04:55 PM

Thanks Frank.

I have to search for my username and password.

I looked over a few pages of users rides, but did not see it.

It's a dark blue extended cab that has been lowered, has 'moon' wheels, as well as gap fillers, side skirts, and of course the bed cap.

I'll continue to search for it.

Frank Lee 01-24-2009 08:33 PM

i don't think you need to log in to use the search function.

i searched "dakota lexan" in "aerodynamics".

there's a ton of entries under just "dakota" and a few under "dakota cap"

anyway, i really like the way the one pictured above looks. i wouldn't mind having something like that on my truck, except i'd want windows. i hate big blind spots.

Cd 01-24-2009 08:40 PM

Honestly, I swear I searched.

I'll try again.

I'm back : 14 entries under the aerodynamics forum and 'dakota'.

Nothing.

I think I have some pictures on an old hard drive.

Frank Lee 01-24-2009 09:06 PM

been diggin', didn't find a match to your description, closest thing was "stinkerbutt"

winkosmosis 01-25-2009 12:41 PM

That is sweet. You should close the gap between the cab and the cover though.. I guess with a soft foam type material to allow for flex

Cd 01-25-2009 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 84902)
been diggin', didn't find a match to your description, closest thing was "stinkerbutt"

Yup. That guy has the black truck you posted pictures of.

Thank's for looking.

As far as any additional seaches don woory bout it. :thumbup:

If I come across it I'll post.

Now .... back on topic :

Electric Man , are you planning to install some wheels that you can use 'mooneyes' on ?

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...-6-a-4368.html

As this post shows, they do make a noticeable difference. With your truck, you might even see even more of a change.

Good luck

Cd 01-25-2009 04:05 PM

If you want to keep your truck all jacked up high, you would probably see a really good improvement with gap fillers for the wheel wells.
You could use black rubber liner that is not only flexible but also wouldn't stand out so much as odd looking.

'BigDave' did something similar to his truck, although I haven't seen any new images of his latest endevours.

( One more thing : I really like your EV car. )

Cd 01-25-2009 04:08 PM

Whuups ...... back again.

I just noticed that you are LEASING your truck.

Scratch the gap filler idea.

LUVMY02CREW 01-25-2009 11:10 PM

I think this is the lexan cover you were talking about. I knew I remembered seeing it around here somewhere also...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea....html#post8243

Its post number 59, in case someone looks at it who isn't logged in may get a different page of that thread.

Yaristock 01-25-2009 11:50 PM

1 Attachment(s)
gotta be logged in to view pic so I'll post it ;)
Looks like a Quad Cab to me, but no need for picky details. Very neat cap, but I like opaque caps to hide the stuff under it.

Frank Lee 01-25-2009 11:52 PM

HA! No wonder... wuz diggin thru the wrong forum... :rolleyes:

fud2468 01-26-2009 09:13 PM

Question for the experts--does flow stay attached all the way to the rear with this design?
Seems as though the angle near the back gets too steep.
Ray Mac.

Frank Lee 01-27-2009 12:34 AM

I'd love to see yarn test results on them.

And good fe data.

Cd 01-27-2009 05:48 PM

Duh ... was that posted on this forum ??
I seem to remember it at the other forum.

Whuups.

Anyways, thanks Yaristock !

As you can see, it was done very professionally.

How much did his mileage improve ?

And where is that post located ?

Yaristock 01-27-2009 06:22 PM

I followed the link in one of the post in this thread and the pic was in there lol... I didn' find it I just posted it. oh gassavers.com

MetroMPG 01-27-2009 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 85397)
Duh ... was that posted on this forum ??

Originally that one was over at the MaxMPG Yahoo group. It appears to be defunct now - as in, it doesn't exist. That's too bad since there were a few decent pics in the album over there.

instarx 01-27-2009 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LUVMY02CREW (Post 85087)
I think this is the lexan cover you were talking about. I knew I remembered seeing it around here somewhere also...

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea....html#post8243

Its post number 59, in case someone looks at it who isn't logged in may get a different page of that thread.

Bet it gets hot under that. You wouldn't want to put your dogs back there.

Frank Lee 01-27-2009 09:52 PM

Or your beer! :eek:

noeryan 02-07-2009 02:52 AM

I'm loving the Aerocap! And Cd's avatar of the ?Yaris? in the tunnel w/ stream smoke? AWESOME!

electricman 02-07-2009 11:45 AM

Gap filling ideas

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkosmosis (Post 84975)
That is sweet. You should close the gap between the cab and the cover though.. I guess with a soft foam type material to allow for flex

My thoughts were including - a closer fit at the forward edge of the Cap, vortex generators on the Cab itself, a rubber or vinyl strip in the gap attached to my aerocap, or maybe just nothing (might not be needed, depending on the airflows over this arrea, can be determined when I get to the tuft testing stage.)

Since I work outside on this project and on my electric car, and my work in aerospace has still been quite busy, and other business activities have tied up my time - it is a slow go, yet I still hope to get this project up to the finely finished surface, with fibreglass covering done this year.

I want to do sound (cabin dB) testing cap on - cap off as well since I noticed it is quiter with the cap on!

botsapper 02-07-2009 04:42 PM

Aero cab covers

I'm following closely & with interest, 'aerocap' designs for pickup trucks. Open bed trucks are still a very large portion vehicles on the road. Primarily used for one's livelihood and partly for recreational use. I believe as almost everyone in this forum that such aero-accessories are badly needed for efficiency and cost savings. Unfortunately as seen by comments of many 'enthusiast owners' in other truck forums, they are seen as fugly & unmanly. There is a palpable stigma of eco-modding and hybridizing this segment. Acceptance will take interim design steps and presently aero-efficiency design lines do not have popular favor. As seen in unpopular single curve 2007 Taurus 'aero' roof line will be replaced by a more formal 2010 three-line roof line.

Example of interim evolution- aerocap:
Nissan Introduces Navara Aventura X-Back - Carscoop

80's aero Ford studies, GM's EV1 & Honda's first-gen Insight have shown & proven highly efficient forms but the market's slow acceptance killed the early experiments. The painfully slow gestation of Smarts has had over a decade of exposure. Will the (new exotic design language - beautiful) Aptera have the same freshman stigma? The (unfortunately with a dying buzz) Tesla is at least wrapped in recognizable Lotus skin. I applaud eco-modders individual efforts. Such (growing) auto sub-culture akin to rat rodders and various niche tuners. That's why multi-flavor SEMA exists. They all soon contribute to the evolving shape of the mainstream. Hopefully sooner than later.

winkosmosis 02-07-2009 10:16 PM

Too bad the public doesn't like aero.

Although people probably like the kamm back available for the Hummer H3

http://www.hummerguy.net/wp-content/...ickup-2009.jpg

Frank Lee 02-07-2009 11:43 PM

While I like aerocaps for the potential fe benefits for pickups, I gotta wonder what the point of driving a pickup around with an aerocap is? Doesn't the cap largely defeat the purpose of driving a truck in the first place?

I'm thinking of my own truck situation... yeah, an aerocap could help the fe to some degree... but then I wouldn't have unfettered access to the box! It would be quite a chore to load a snowmobile or riding mower or snow blower or whatever even if there was a conventional cap on, not to mention an aero cap. IF I'm driving that sow in the first place it's because I'm hauling or towing something! When I'm not hauling or towing... I don't use the truck.

I suppose truck users with loads that 1) are too much for cars and 2) fit under aerocaps could benefit. I think, realistically, there aren't many in that position. If they don't have such loads perhaps they should be in cars.

electricman 02-08-2009 04:19 AM

Truck Loads & AeroCaps?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 86850)
While I like aerocaps for the potential fe benefits for pickups, I gotta wonder what the point of driving a pickup around with an aerocap is? Doesn't the cap largely defeat the purpose of driving a truck in the first place?

I suppose truck users with loads that 1) are too much for cars and 2) fit under aerocaps could benefit. I think, realistically, there aren't many in that position. If they don't have such loads perhaps they should be in cars.

As I said on my project - it was also bought because the 2005 Optra Station Wagon only has a 1000 lb towing limit, and the Firefly EV ( www.myelectricfly.com ) weighs in at 2000 lbs with smaller group 24 PbA Batteries. So - Why would I want to tow it with a (aerodynamically) dirtier vehicle than required - and - also - this project is in practice for aero designs for larger trucks, cube-vans, and on up!

So - the project is but a stepping stone, and the EV is not so cheap itself, what with searching for and finding and buying instrumentation, battery power controlls and equalizers, and of course - a new set of batteries shortly after buying the car, custom uppostery on it's seats - for a bit of flair, and the required rust removal and whole metal body work and other items to pass the safety after buying it!

And - some people simply prefer pickups for the ride height on the highway - and would not be cought dead in a Mini-van! (Therefore the reasoning that maybe I could make this test it - prove it and replicate it for sale if the demand was there!) Enjoy!

electricman 06-02-2009 01:20 PM

Latest test numbers - short drive

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Lee (Post 84782)
Yes, more. As in, more fuel log data.

http://www.aircraft-computational.co...oCap_Med-1.jpg

This last weekend, I got 10.0 litres per 100 km on the new tank after about 73 km total, street and highway mix. I Went from Downsview to North Brampton, and later back. On the way back from the stret drive and highway drive back to 401 & Keele Street, I got 9.8 l/100 km. (That is the rating for the 2008 dodge Dakota from Tansport Canada.)

The problem is how does this compare without the cap on? Well I need to take th cap off to check that - and so far - it has been along time since it was off! (After all - having it on makes it quieter - too, so why whould I want to have more noise!) :)

I have a more running story on it on my own blog at Dodge Dakota Aerocap - check that out for more regular updates.

Oh yeah - it has seen two car washes and it handles them OK in it's current condition - and since it is made from foam - I have searched for and found a good source of a coating for foam - from Industrial Polymers Incorporated - in Texas - Styrospray 1000 - Industrial Polymers Corporation-StyroSpray

Hope some of this helps. I still need to clean up the edges at the bed for a nicer fit and finish, the forward face behind the cab back window - needs work and shaping yet, but I have rounded the corners so that makes it look a bit nicer.

Robert

electricman 06-02-2009 02:22 PM

Gap Fillers & Pizza Pans

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 85009)
Whuups ...... back again.

I just noticed that you are LEASING your truck.

Scratch the gap filler idea.

Well - I am Leasing it, but - I Did pay extra fro the privaledge of returning it with some scratches, dents, holes, etc. - normal work nicks and so on. And - I just looked at the wheel wells yesterday - a good candidate for some extra holes with Sealed or closed / Capped/Dome type Anchor Nuts mounted in there to attache a wheel sell cover project. The Capped ones don't get dirty threads - easier to remove, and easier to seal! (Just Use a little B2!)

Reference links - Locknuts for Aerospace from Aircraft Fasteners International
http://www.spstech.com/aero/prod_lit/esna_catalog.pdf - page 8

I like the Pizza Pan Smoothies Idea - need to check that out and measure my wheels for similar fits! Might be able to buy $$ actual smoothies - I know a shop that found some for a Honda Civic that would fit on my electricfly! Maybe we can get some bigger ones for the truck!

Robert

electricman 09-01-2009 03:17 PM

Aerocaps & Access

AEROCAPS.info - A Project to improve the Aerodynamics of a Pickup using an Aerodynamic CAP

Quote:

While I like aerocaps for the potential fe benefits for pickups, I gotta wonder what the point of driving a pickup around with an aerocap is? Doesn't the cap largely defeat the purpose of driving a truck in the first place? .

Hi Frank, I am not sure of the other designs, but I have been thinking heavily of this issue along the way - and looking at various ways to get the best aero while not carying - but access with ease also.

Quote:

I'm thinking of my own truck situation... yeah, an aerocap could help the fe to some degree... but then I wouldn't have unfettered access to the box! It would be quite a chore to load a snowmobile or riding mower or snow blower or whatever even if there was a conventional cap on, not to mention an aero cap. IF I'm driving that sow in the first place it's because I'm hauling or towing something! When I'm not hauling or towing... I don't use the truck.

So - What about a removable trailing 40-60% segment, or better yet - a cover found like in Tonneaus - a slide up or roll up center area, either manual or powered?

By the Way - some new pics posted on my truck at my new website - AEROCAPS - see the second item in menu too!

Also - my Blog has a few new items in it -with mileage results, etc.

Robert

Frank Lee 09-01-2009 04:51 PM

What I'm getting at is the best solution while not carrying is probably a car, scooter, bicycle, feet...

electricman 09-02-2009 12:49 AM

Well, My Car - is the electricfly, and it would not have carried the items for a cruise, and the camping gear for a trip to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, this summer, let alone drive the distance - therfore one of the reasons for the AeroCap are shared. Another thing - the Wagon I had before the Truck - had a maximum towing capacity of 1,000 lbs - so could not take the electricfly to shows beyond it's own driving distance on a charge! (It weighs in at about 2,000 lbs with batteries in!)

A Scooter - parked in an open an unsecured apartment building parking lot could be scooped by a couple of kids, and - our apartment is up stairs - no elevator!

Walking is what I often do to go to work, the Bank, or the Mall - Because I moved to a place wherein I could do such things by walking - so - your are right!

However - I would not be ready to walk from Toronto to Fort Lauderdale, to catch a cruise, or from Fort Lauderdale to Oshkosh to make Air Venture, nor from Oshkosh back to Toronto to get home and back to work! So - a variety of transportation methods still need to be around for varying types of trips, and uses.

BMACM65 09-08-2009 09:58 AM

Electricman, did you get this idea from my truck on MPGResearch? I have a 98 Dak and built mine from plywood designed on Rhino3d. I am in Michigan and since my buddy in Nova Scotia wanted a bunch of stuff taken to him on my vacation there, I had to cut a hatch in it for border inspection. It worked out well but the wood was not exterior enough.
May be building another soon!

electricman 09-08-2009 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BMACM65 (Post 126598)
Electricman, did you get this idea from my truck on MPGResearch?

Nope! I Had the General Idea, over 20 years ago, when I bought a KitPlane - partly finished, after I got my Pilots Licence, and started understanding tuft-testing on the Van's RV-3; and from the last big fuel crisis - when they started a small Aero program on Semi's.

It got a bit refined when I read about Phil's Knox's Streamlined T-100, and the materials I chose were based on where I work, where I live, and the fact that Kit Planes with foam are very creative in shape. I figured a curved shape might be different, or better, than a straight slope, like Phils Cover.

Robert
AEROCAPS HOME - A Project to improve the Aerodynamics of a Pickup using an Aerodynamic CAP

electricman 09-08-2009 07:19 PM

Oh yea - I also have had to open the tailgate for a few Border Inspections while going to the States with the AeroCap on, but that is easy to do, and we had a bunch of our camping gear in the box under the cap last trip. Also- we will be heading off to Detroit this coming Friday - Sept-11-09, for some other business training events over the course of the weekend, so will be seeing how the Border hop across the Ambasador Bridge goes.

Robert

electricman 12-30-2009 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 84899)
Honestly, I swear I searched.

I'll try again.

I'm back : 14 entries under the aerodynamics forum and 'dakota'.

Hey - I know your looking - and this one might not be the one -
Aerocap travels from Toronto, Ontario, Canada to Oshkosh, Wisconsin, USA.
http://aerocaps.info/Oshkosh-Travel-...w_Med-Clip.jpg

but if it has some interest - the story continues here - for your interest.

My own plans still include - a full or nearly full botton tray, bed side fills under the box outside skin - as it is a lot of open space in there too, and the other aero things in front an back often discussed or shown here.