EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   2008 Honda Fit with manual transmission and bad air conditioning for $2,000 near Show Low (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2008-honda-fit-manual-transmission-bad-air-conditioning-38011.html)

Xist 11-29-2019 08:59 AM

2008 Honda Fit with manual transmission and bad air conditioning for $2,000 near Show Low

3 Attachment(s)
It doesn't have a picture of the front. If the AC doesn't blow cold, the defroster wouldn't work, right?

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1575035577
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1575035583
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1575035591

Why does it have a dash carpet?!

Quote:

Selling a 2008 Honda fit. Runs great and is my everyday driver. It's a 5 speed standard stick shift. 200k miles. Selling because I need a 4x4 for my snowy driveway. No check engine lights I go to the valley in it all the time. Ac isn't blowing cold. Interior is dirty but very reliable and gets 35 plus miles a gallon.
Have any of you had an unreliable interior? Why doesn't he shovel his driveway?!

[Would you expect him to? He doesn't clean his car!]

Fat Charlie 11-29-2019 11:14 AM

Blowing warm air on the windshield should help. Not as much as warm, specially dried air would, but enough to get you going.

me and my metro 11-29-2019 11:40 AM

The defroster works just like one on a car without air conditioning. It blows hot air on the glass, no dehumidified air just hot air. Is that a reasonable price for a Fit?

mpg_numbers_guy 11-29-2019 01:55 PM

My Insight's AC has needed recharging for a while now, and the defroster still works fine.

How close is it to you? Might be worth checking out for the heck of it. Ecky probably has more to say on things to check out for, since he owns basically that same car.

Xist 11-29-2019 03:26 PM

1 Attachment(s)
It is in the next town and I am seeing clients over there now. I wish that I had realized that it snowed early enough to make my appointments on-time today!

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1575059141

Gasoline Fumes 11-29-2019 07:12 PM

Price seems high to me, but they're great cars. I know a few Fit owners and they all seem to like their cars. I'm the guy they call when something is wrong with their Fits. They don't call often. :)

Xist 11-29-2019 08:21 PM

Gasoline Fumes, how do they age. Should it be in good shape (air conditioning notwithstanding) with 200,000 miles?

Well, I would be less likely to hit Mom's retaining wall in a car this small, and it should fit comfortably in the garage.

I just hate to think of my brother running around on the roof.

Kelley says that a 2008 Fit in good condition with 200,000 miles and without air conditioning is worth $2,635 up here. It would have been $3,292 with 125,000 miles.

The cheapest Fit on Craigslist in the Phoenix area with a clean title and a manual transmission is a 2009 with 119,000 miles and cold air conditioning for $4,600.

The cheapest one on Facebook Marketplace is a 2008 sport with 166,000 miles for $3,500.

Huh. Someone up here is selling a 2012 Yaris with 158,000 miles and an autotragic for $5,000.

Ooh! She is also selling a tablesaw! :D https://offerup.com/item/detail/775616547/

How do tablesaws do outside?

The only Fit on OfferUp is restored salvage.

mpg_numbers_guy 11-29-2019 08:51 PM

Fits around here at least to seem to hold their value well ($4000+) unless they have over 200K miles. Once they break over 200K some drop in price like this one.

I saw an 08 Fit with 75k miles being listed for $8000 and change at a dealer :eek: - I've seen 2016 Fits with 100k-200k miles for $6k before.

Gasoline Fumes 11-29-2019 08:52 PM

I know a couple with a 2007 Fit, it must be up to about 300k miles by now. Over the years, I've replaced: brakes, front anti-roll bar end links, and front struts. I think I replaced part of the wiper linkage, but I don't remember what or why. The key got stuck in the ignition, but they don't care, so I haven't fixed that. They had someone else replace the ignition coils years ago. I can't think of anything else it's really needed other than basic maintenance. The other Fits I know have less miles and haven't needed much of anything besides oxygen sensors.

I guess Fits hold their value! I'm driving a $300 Insight, so everything looks expensive to me!

mpg_numbers_guy 11-30-2019 12:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gasoline Fumes (Post 612451)
I guess Fits hold their value! I'm driving a $300 Insight, so everything looks expensive to me!

That's because the Insight is such an underappreciated car! I'll take it though if it means the price is low. :D

The Fit was one of the vehicles I was considering when I bought my first car - the 04 Civic I used to hypermile and throw duct tape ecomods all over. I chose the Civic over the Fit because all the Fits were either higher priced or higher mileage than Civics, and because the Fit's shorter gearing and brickier shape would give it lower highway fuel economy. I also was only in the market for autotragic vehicles at the time, so some of the Fit's superior around town economy advantage would be lost due to not having the manual.

Looking back now I might've considered a Fit more if they were more readily available, but I surmise that Civics resell faster than Fits - I had 4 offers within the first couple days of posting the Civic. Might be possible to talk him down on price a bit because of it.

Until I became an Insight enthusiast, a 3rd gen Fit (2015+) was in the plans as my next car. I've seen some for under $6k now, and they'd likely be even cheaper once the Civic got high enough in mileage for me to get a new car.

And now I own a 265,900 mile manual Honda Insight. And I wouldn't trade it for anything. :D

Xist 11-30-2019 12:49 AM

what about...

...a 132,950-mile manual Honda Insight? :D

Ecky 12-04-2019 08:29 AM

For the Insight, just make plans to either maintain (grid charge) or bypass the battery. None of the other common issues will take them off the road, but there are a number of small, non-essential issues that most of them develop.

The Fit's common issues are coil packs (cheap on Amazon) and the sheet metal seams near the rear hatch tend to let in water. In some climates this can result in rust around the spare tire or on the rear seat floor are. The fix for this is to goop it up with silicone or similar.

Other than that, normal stuff. Check that they shift, play in steering, noise from suspension.

MetroMPG 12-04-2019 01:20 PM

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1561557815

I very nearly bought this $900 Fit this summer. 5-speed with 210k km = 130k miles.

So close to pulling the trigger.

But as it turns out, my mechanic knew of the owner and advised me against it because the owner drove it really, REALLY hard. As in: he would hear it bouncing off the rev limiter going up the hill by his shop.

$900 + hatchback glass + solving a low-load stumble in the engine is only a great deal if the motor isn't going to blow.

Xist 12-04-2019 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 612786)
[IMG]he would hear it bouncing off the rev limiter going up the hill by his shop.

I do not know what that means! :) I try to take care of my cars (with mixed results) and I definitely do not drive hard.

How was the air conditioning? :)

Fat Charlie 12-04-2019 10:14 PM

As conservative as Honda is, constantly hitting the rev limiter is okay. As stupid a driver that is required to constantly hit the rev limiter, I'd seriously worry about the oil change history.

MetroMPG 12-05-2019 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 612800)

How was the air conditioning? :)

Excellent! Check that custom flow-through rear window.

vskid3 12-05-2019 10:23 PM

Would the Fit be replacing one (or both) of your cars, or would you be adding another beater to rotate through? ;)

I've considered a Fit more times than probably any other car. I'm really surprised I haven't bought one yet. It was in the running when I got my Camry, kinda wish I'd gone with a Fit.

Xist 12-05-2019 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 606786)
[I]f [my Accord] goes thirty days without a problem, you guys can do push-ups, okay? :)

I will do push-ups, too! Celebratory push-ups are the best push-ups! :D

https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthre...tml#post606786 09-16-2019, 02:22 PM

As I have said before, it is not fair to blame the car because I broke the power steering pump or ripped off the bumper, but the previous couple of repairs made that extra annoying.

I could fix up one or the other of my cars faster if I am not driving it, right? :)

Xist 12-06-2019 03:56 PM

I saw the car, but I did not have too much time before going to work. I printed off a car inspection checklist that Popular Mechanics put out a while ago and grabbed the necessary tools, but I also adjusted the serpentine belt on my Accord [again]. It hadn't squealed until it started raining and snowing. It seems a little too tight, so I will loosen it a little and see if the squeals return.

The car looks good. I didn't inspect anything because it turns out that the owner is another Speech-Language Pathology Assistant and we talked about that more than anything else. He says that the cruise control works, but only when held down, so he Jerry-rigged a paperclip to keep it in.

I was not sure that it was faster than my Accord, but I had not really driven a manual in over a year. I forgot to put in the clutch one time that I came to a stop!

I drove for about ten minutes on the highway. There really isn't any city driving anywhere near here.

He says that the AC compressor went out and he had someone install a cheap eBay one that died two days later. He bought another compressor, which will be installed on Monday. He also said that he has a friend that offered $1,600, so I have competition?

I had planned on negotiating, but not 20% unless more problems turned up.

I was supposed to see three clients today, but the mom of one is out-of-town--without my client. She gave me the number of the lady being paid to take care of her, but she is too busy for me to be able to do my job?

I stopped for a burrito before seeing my last client client and kicking some tires.

A lady just stopped at the same restaurant with two girls that attend the school where I work. One gave me a side hug and called me Mr. Pig.

MetroMPG 12-06-2019 07:27 PM

Aw... side hugs.

Xist 12-06-2019 10:22 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I printed off this list I got from the CarTalk subreddit (that banned me without explanation): Used-Car Checklist by Popular Mechanics

It is a list of 101 things from whether they have the owner's manual to testing for parasitic drains, pressure-testing the cooling system, doing a compression test, and doing a cylinder leak-down test. I am surprised that using a scan tool is under Engine, Advanced with the disclaimer "Requires a more rigorous inspection; clear with owner first). I went over most of it. The owner does oil changes himself and takes the car to the high school and has the auto mechanics teacher fix it. It doesn't have 200,000 miles, it has 222,000, the same number that my Prelude had when the transmission went out, and the same as my Civic had when the head gasket blew.

I hope that mileage is accurate! :)

I did not see the title, but he insisted that it is not salvage. I saw a little curb rash, but the wheels have a layer of mud on them. The driver's and back wiper blades need to be replaced. It has rims. Yay! Rims! :) The tire pressure wasn't even, but he brought out a battery-powered compressor, and I evened it out.

As far as I can tell, all of the panels are the same shade color. The panel gaps are even. All of the trim looks good except it is missing some clips for the bumper and cowl, but I have a bag of them. I put my Harbor Freight light on a bunch of parts and the magnet held. The front and back tires are different brands, but all are name brands with good tread, and seemingly even wear.

I did not see any rust. The seats do not have any damage, just dirt. The spare tire and all of the tools look good. He said the eBay seller sent out a new AC compressor, but it is the same cheap brand. He will have it installed on Monday, but I do not expect it to last any longer than the first one.

There is only one fender liner! Oh no!

I did not jack up the car and climb underneath. I already spent two hours inspecting the car, it was getting dark, we were cold, and his driveway is all muddy. Aside from the missing clips, everything looked good under the hood, but it sure is tiny! :)

I could not see the date on the battery, but he did not replace it in the year or two that he has owned the car. The oil was dirty and needs to be changed, but I did not see goo, metal particles, milk, or signs of gas.

The CEL turns on and off like it is supposed to. My reader did not show any pending codes. I did not check the steering, brakes, or suspension. I did not try this:

Quote:

Manual transmission: Put the car in top gear while driving at 30 mph. Floor the throttle. Do the engine revs climb quickly, as if the clutch is slipping?
The paint is also faded. Edit: Dealbreaker! The latch on the wider side of the back seat is broken, so it is currently impossible to fold down.

I did not find anything noteworthy, but I still need to climb underneath.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1575688892

Xist 12-10-2019 02:15 PM

I am losing the Fit?

The owner messaged me that he had the AC compressor replaced, but again, it is the same brand as the one that failed after two days, which seems like a waste of time and money. I told him that I worked two jobs Monday through Wednesday and would be unavailable until Thursday morning.

In that message he said that he is leaving town at 05 on Thursday and is not returning until Sunday.

So, next Thursday, unless he sells it to that friend for $1,600?

Ecky 12-10-2019 02:49 PM

I think it's a good option.

MetroMPG 12-10-2019 05:36 PM

Either way, you might have a fit!

Xist 12-10-2019 06:20 PM

Are you making jokes every month now? :)

Xist 12-20-2019 06:56 PM

Anyone else want to negotiate?

I wrote that the KBB value in good condition is $2,635. It is $2,102 in fair condition. Everything looked pretty good to me, but I did not get under the car, and I still want a mechanic to look at it. I miss things all of the time!

I had planned on having the best mechanic in-town look at it yesterday morning, but either I have been sick all month, or I have allergies, but nobody will tell me. Seriously, I paid a nurse practitioner for a diagnosis. I did not get a diagnosis. I talked to my sister, a nurse practitioner, and as always, she was useless.

Do I need to stay home and rest or am I safe to work and pay my bills?!

Me: Sorry for not getting back to you, but I have been sick all week.
Owner: Sorry to hear that. If you want it it's yours. AC is working like it should now. I'm free after 3pm
I mentioned a mechanic in his area. I called and they said they could inspect it today (but they weren't the best-rated in-town!)
Him: Dude seriously I have no problem with that, bit this is a 2000 dollar car. Lol you dont think your being a little paranoid? I drive this everyday. Were in the same field. It's a good car I wouldn't lie to you.
Me thinketh the lady doth protest too much.
Me: Sadly, $2,000 is a lot for me.
Him: So your gonna pay more for someone to look at it? Lol its on you bud if you really want to go that route fine by me. But im firm at 2k.

At least twice mechanics have strongly encouraged me not to buy cars that I brought them. I do not think that they charged me, either.

Why did he suddenly say that he was firm? He originally mentioned the friend offering $1,600, making me think that I had more room for negotiating than I expected. He discourages a professional inspection and is firm on the price?

I told him that I hoped he found someone before his new compressor died.

Fat Charlie 12-21-2019 06:50 AM

It's not costing him anything to keep it and he doesn't desperately need the money right now. He's not a very motivated seller and doesn't want much hassle. The more time he has to spend on the sale, the less he's willing to come down- especially because the more time you put into this, the more it obviously means to you.

Ecky 12-21-2019 07:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 613685)
It's not costing him anything to keep it and he doesn't desperately need the money right now. He's not a very motivated seller and doesn't want much hassle. The more time he has to spend on the sale, the less he's willing to come down- especially because the more time you put into this, the more it obviously means to you.

This.

$2000 is not very much to me anymore either. My time is far more valuable, and I'm likely to quit talking to someone who, in my mind, is trying to make me jump through hoops over a low value item.

Xist 12-21-2019 12:03 PM

Taking the car to a mechanic is making him jump through a bunch of hoops? It seems more like he is worried they will find stuff wrong.

Why wouldn't I take a car to a mechanic? The blue book on my Subaru was $1,650. We took it to his mechanic (who hardly found anything. I had already taken it to the dealership) and I negotiated down.

Xist 12-21-2019 12:11 PM

Why would he initially indicate that he was willing to negotiate? I looked over the car and said that I just wanted a mechanic to look at it. He said "Sure."

What changed?

Ecky 12-21-2019 12:44 PM

He's thinking the car is becoming too much of a time sink for what he's going to make on it. He just wants it gone, and no more time to be spent on it.

In Vermont, the general rule is that if it's less than $4,000 you can forget about having it inspected - the undercarriage is going to be full of rust and nevermind how it runs. So why bother taking it to have what's wrong with it confirmed. Just drive it illegally and scrap it when it strands you somewhere.

EDIT: This is not how I see things, of course, just what I've observed in others.

Xist 12-21-2019 01:30 PM

Too much of a time sink? He claims he is selling this car because he often cannot drive it in the winter because of the snow. Everyone up here considers this to be truck country. He has been trying to sell it for a month already.

It may be months before he finds an interested buyer and he very well may need to do something to motivate the buyer, like lower the price.

Ecky 12-23-2019 09:46 PM

Well perhaps not then. At the very least he sounds like he's losing motivation as a seller.

Xist 03-02-2020 12:53 AM

After over three months, the guy finally sold the Fit.