EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2010 Hyundai Accent "Blue" Review (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2010-hyundai-accent-blue-review-13452.html)

i90east 06-02-2010 09:20 PM

2010 Hyundai Accent "Blue" Review

Hey there folks, long time lurker and hypermiler (in my previous auto tranny car).

I just bought a new 2010 Hyundai Accent "Blue" and I feel like this car is a seriously good value so I wanted to share. When I went to the dealer they said there was only one of these cars in the region so they ordered it. The price they offered me was $9,100 and it ended up being $11,000 after taxes and other fees. This is a 5spd manual tranny hatchback with no a/c, no abs and no factory radio (speakers are there), but it does have side curtain airbags, tachometer and roof extender spoiler standard.

The car rides smooth, dampens road noise surprisingly well and has no creaks or rattles. Consumer Reports says reliability for the Accent is above average. My bicycle fits in the back with the rear seat down and the front tire removed, so the bike now lives in the car. This is important to me since the best bike path around is near my job, not home. Acceleration and braking are adequate. The only bad thing is the handling. Tossing the car into turns does not inspire confidence.

A little about my commute: My 14 mile one way commute to work takes me 40-60 minutes. There are many many traffic lights and 5 construction projects going on along the way. This is not an mpg friendly route. Also I'm rusty with a manual and I always drive with the windows down. Despite all this my mpg for the first tank was 38.5, no highway miles. The best I ever got with my old 2000 Chevy Cavalier 3spd auto was 28.5, so I'm very impressed.

So there you have it, the 2010 Hyundai Accent "Blue". It's super cheap, reliable and great on gas.

MetroMPG 06-02-2010 10:57 PM

Thanks for the report - first I've read of any of the "blue" Hyundais.

Hope you'll keep us posted as you get more miles under the tires.

cfg83 06-02-2010 11:05 PM

i90east -

Welcome to EM! Does it have a belly-pan?

CarloSW2

i90east 06-03-2010 12:22 AM

This info comes from carlist:

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlist
All 2010 Accent models carry lower friction engine components, aerodynamic improvements, low-rolling-resistance silica tires, a smart alternator management system and other enhancements aimed at trimming fuel consumption.

New economy edition Accent Blue goes further by revising the transmission gear ratios and lowering the ride height to score higher fuel economy numbers.

Quote:

Originally Posted by cfg83 (Post 177361)
i90east -

Welcome to EM! Does it have a belly-pan?

CarloSW2

Thanks. Yes it does have a belly-pan.

Nevyn 06-03-2010 10:12 AM

Pump up the tires, it'll feel quite a bit better in corners. I don't know if one is made, but an upgraded rear sway bar will probably make a HUGE difference as well. I haven't done it to my Elantra yet, but here's what I know:

My Elantra is stock with a 12mm sway bar. 12! It can be replace with the bar from the Tiburon, which is 19.2mm - a major difference. Perhaps the top-trim Accent has a better one than your Blue?

2009Prius 06-08-2010 01:06 PM

Thanks for the nice review! I didn't know you can buy a new car without A/C! :)