Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2009, 01:29 PM   #1 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Aerocivic - '92 Honda Civic CX
Last 3: 70.54 mpg (US)

AerocivicLB - '92 Honda Civic CX
Team Honda
90 day: 55.14 mpg (US)

Camryglide - '20 Toyota Camry hybrid LE
90 day: 62.77 mpg (US)
An unanticipated side effect of Cd reduction

One unanticipated side effect of reducing my car's Cd is that I have reduced the pressure of the high pressure zone at the base of the windshield low enough that the remaining air pressure there isn't enough to move air through the air vents without having to run the fan. So which is the more energy efficient way to ventilate the interior? Run the fan on low with its slight load of the alternator, or install a small air scoop somewhere around the windshield to catch and direct air into the car's interior, resulting in a slight increase in Cd. Of course with the latter, I'd have to design it to separate out any rainwater that the scoop might catch, so it doesn't rain inside the car when driving through a heavy downpour.

Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-03-2009, 02:19 PM   #2 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Ecomod

Dobbin - '04 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 A/T
On my 1984 Dodge Rampage the cabin air intake is directly under a grill at the trailing edge if the hood. The intake hole itself is surrounded by a sheet metal 'wall', and the rain is kept out by a plastic shield which sits an inch above the opening and extends an inch over the sides and stops an inch from the bottom of the 'wall' -a sort of umbrella. Simple and effective.

PS You're an inspiration!
Old 04-03-2009, 02:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
(:

Blue - '93 Ford Tempo
Last 3: 27.29 mpg (US)

F150 - '94 Ford F150 XLT 4x4
90 day: 18.5 mpg (US)

Sport Coupe - '92 Ford Tempo GL
Last 3: 69.62 mpg (US)

ShWing! - '82 honda gold wing Interstate
90 day: 33.65 mpg (US)

Moon Unit - '98 Mercury Sable LX Wagon
90 day: 21.24 mpg (US)
Thanked 3,555 Times in 2,218 Posts
You need one of these:

I'm referring to the cowl vent, not the windshield. Although that might work for you too.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:04 PM   #4 (permalink)
EtOH

Cordelia - '15 Mazda Mazda3 i Sport
90 day: 37.83 mpg (US)
I've considered this too, but this was actually a couple months ago. The fan on low is still better than adding drag IMHO the drag from the alternator is already there and it functions on-demand. The alternator's drag on the engine can be fixed with a deep cycle battery too. But I understand that won't work too well for you since you need your headlights for night driving. The scoop is the worst way of venting air into your cab, it slows you down and the cutting/filtering would have to be very well thought out and applied to keep water out. The water alone isn't the only consideration.

This may explain why the air vents in my Ranger always spit air into the cab despite everything being turned off. Messing with the direction doesn't stop it. But the air blows the fastest through the panel mounted vents like the fan is stuck on. I've actually had leaves and twigs come shooting through the vents when I turned the fans to max on a hot day (no A/C). I knew it was a bad thing too.

Personally I'd prefer to pull the air from UNDER the engine bay than from the base of the windshield. Although it would probably be more efficient to just wire up an intake from the front of the car or hook it up to the intake airbox.

Old 04-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #5 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidgrey50 View Post
On my 1984 Dodge Rampage the cabin air intake is directly under a grill at the trailing edge if the hood. The intake hole itself is surrounded by a sheet metal 'wall', and the rain is kept out by a plastic shield which sits an inch above the opening and extends an inch over the sides and stops an inch from the bottom of the 'wall' -a sort of umbrella. Simple and effective.

PS You're an inspiration!
That's where the air inlet on my car is too, but my mods have dropped the high pressure that normally drives the air through the vents to where the air won't move without fan assist.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:34 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allch Chcar View Post
I've considered this too, but this was actually a couple months ago. The fan on low is still better than adding drag IMHO the drag from the alternator is already there and it functions on-demand. The alternator's drag on the engine can be fixed with a deep cycle battery too. But I understand that won't work too well for you since you need your headlights for night driving. The scoop is the worst way of venting air into your cab, it slows you down and the cutting/filtering would have to be very well thought out and applied to keep water out. The water alone isn't the only consideration.

This may explain why the air vents in my Ranger always spit air into the cab despite everything being turned off. Messing with the direction doesn't stop it. But the air blows the fastest through the panel mounted vents like the fan is stuck on. I've actually had leaves and twigs come shooting through the vents when I turned the fans to max on a hot day (no A/C). I knew it was a bad thing too.

Personally I'd prefer to pull the air from UNDER the engine bay than from the base of the windshield. Although it would probably be more efficient to just wire up an intake from the front of the car or hook it up to the intake airbox.
Right now I'm thinking about some sort of 2" diameter flexible duct running through the engine bay from the grill inlet to the vent air inlet plenum. That would be taking air from the one high pressure region remaining in my car's aerodynamics and any water sucked in would be dumped into the inlet plenum that is already designed to separate water from the incoming.air flow. There would be a slight drag increase, but it should be very minimal.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:40 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Team Honda

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Lee View Post
You need one of these:

I'm referring to the cowl vent, not the windshield. Although that might work for you too.
Cars and trucks designed in the days before A/C had all sorts of ingenius ways to create a gale of wind through the interior to handle the summer heat. My favorite were the kick panels in the foot wells in the pickup trucks.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:43 PM   #8 (permalink)
Left Lane Ecodriver

Prius C - '12 Toyota Prius C
A very interesting problem. I suspect that a wind-powered intake *ought* to be more efficient than an electric one, especially since you have a port for air to exit at the rear of the cabin. Since your alternator and blower motor are less efficient than your transmission, driveline, and tires, the latter should take less energy than the former.
Old 04-03-2009, 04:52 PM   #9 (permalink)
Cogito Ergo Ecomod

Dobbin - '04 Dodge Dakota 3.7 V6 A/T
Quote:
Originally Posted by basjoos View Post
That's where the air inlet on my car is too, but my mods have dropped the high pressure that normally drives the air through the vents to where the air won't move without fan assist.
That was just regarding keeping the rain out. If it's hard to get air coming in from this low pressure area, your other option is to relocate your exit vent to an even lower pressure area i.e. if you can't push it in, maybe you can pull it out. Perhaps a rear-facing scoop or two in an area of smooth, fast airflow - on the roof or on the boat-tail.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:02 PM   #10 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

The Lamborghini Espada used two NACA scoops on the hood for cabin air (no they weren't for the 6 carbs). Don't know how they kept out the water, but probably an air filter set up like an engine air intake. Don't know how efficient it was aerodynamically, but it's another option.

Reply  Post New Thread