EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2011 Ford Fiesta SFE (29 city / 40 hwy MPG US) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2011-ford-fiesta-sfe-29-city-40-hwy-13408.html)

Nels 05-29-2010 09:11 AM

2011 Ford Fiesta SFE (29 city / 40 hwy MPG US)

I have been doing reasonably well at a bit over 40 mpg in my 96 Saturn SL, but my wife does not drive a stick shift, and will not learn. So when I found out Ford's new Fiesta was offering the 6-speed dual dry clutch "automated manual" transmission at a projected 40 mpg I became very interested. I will also be ordering the Super Fuel Economy package, with the air blocks and belly pans. Nice to see Detroit finally start to offer some of the things that modders have been doing themselves. The dealer here is finally taking orders for it, so we're selling her Impala now and will be ordering her new Fiesta this week. We'll make a hypermiler out of my wife yet. ;-)

tjts1 05-29-2010 01:38 PM

Congratulations on the new fiesta. I hope you take some pics when it arrives.

mjboks 06-15-2010 10:09 AM

Have you got your new fiesta yet? I'm curious on actual mpg results.

cfg83 06-15-2010 10:13 AM

Nels -

I second tjts1's motion, pictures please!

CarloSW2

Nels 06-15-2010 12:47 PM

I don't expect to see it until the end of July or so. Order time is 8-10 weeks. :turtle:

Daox 06-15-2010 01:13 PM

ooooh the anticipation! I'd love to see pics as well. :) The Fiesta looks like it'll be a pretty nice car.

Maybe you could bring it over to 'ol Germantown for a look see! :D

Nevyn 06-15-2010 02:17 PM

It seems to have a "Super Highway Mode" that a CleanMPG member I follow on Twitter found on a test drive of one (non-SFE) down in Texas. He was about to pull 60-70 MPG at 55 MPH with the PowerShift 6 Automanual like you've ordered.

Did you also order the "Euro Style" rear spoiler lip? From the pics when you are optioning out the car on the Ford site, it looks like it's just a "Kamm-i-er" spoiler than the stock one - I couldn't tell if there would be any aero benefit to it or not.

Nels 06-15-2010 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nevyn (Post 179131)
It seems to have a "Super Highway Mode" that a CleanMPG member I follow on Twitter found on a test drive of one (non-SFE) down in Texas. He was about to pull 60-70 MPG at 55 MPH with the PowerShift 6 Automanual like you've ordered.

Did you also order the "Euro Style" rear spoiler lip? From the pics when you are optioning out the car on the Ford site, it looks like it's just a "Kamm-i-er" spoiler than the stock one - I couldn't tell if there would be any aero benefit to it or not.

I had heard that there was some program enhancements in the computer, but found no details. I would be interested to hear more from this acquaintance. What is his Twitter handle?

As for the spoiler, there is a deck lid spoiler included as part of the SFE package, and that blocks out the addition any other spoiler options. Maybe that is the one that is included.

MetroMPG 07-01-2010 07:26 AM

So it's the sedan you ordered?

I haven't seen much about this model, other than it's rated 29/40 MPG (US), and the price: "$695 SFE option package". Source.

40 HWY is getting close to the old Metro's highway rating (revised EPA of 44)! Nice to see from a more or less conventional drivetrain. Go Ford!

Factory efficiency mods on the SFE consist of the gearbox, LRR tires and aero tweaks from what I've read. Possibly partial grille blocking, some smooth belly panels, and detailing around the wheels (source).

Nels 07-01-2010 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 181752)
So it's the sedan you ordered?

I haven't seen much about this model, other than it's rated 29/40 MPG (US), and the price: "$695 SFE option package". Source.

40 HWY is getting close to the old Metro's highway rating (revised EPA of 44)! Nice to see from a more or less conventional drivetrain. Go Ford!

Factory efficiency mods on the SFE consist of the gearbox, LRR tires and aero tweaks from what I've read. Possibly partial grille blocking, some smooth belly panels, and detailing around the wheels (source).

Yes, We ordered the sedan. My wife won't have a hatchback. She says they look like the have no butt. :D I've heard and read about the various efficiency tweaks on the SFE package, but so far I have not seen a picture of any of them. The picture of the SFE package details on the Ford build site is just a generic stock pic of a Fiesta. There will be some pics available to the rest of you when I get mine home. This is kind of an adventure for me -- I ordered a completely new model before it hit the showrooms, having never driven one, and ordered an SFE package that no one seems to have the full details on. The powershift transmission is what steered me toward this car. My wife does not drive a manual transmission. This new automatic gets better MPG than the manual. It looks like the best way to get my wife into the over 40 MPG club without spending the extra $$ for a hybrid.

The local dealer just got their first Fiesta hatchback yesterday. My sedan is due in two weeks.