EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   2011 Honda CBR125R. Hypermiler's dream bike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2011-honda-cbr125r-hypermilers-dream-bike-20098.html)

sendler 01-15-2012 03:08 PM

2011 Honda CBR125R. Hypermiler's dream bike

2 Attachment(s)
I have a 2011 Honda CBR250R. It is a fantastic riding fuel injected single and gets 87mpg stock on my 68mph commute. My 09 carbureted Ninja 250 with Zero Gravity sport touring windscreen can only manage 66mpg on the same trip. I never ride the Ninja anymore. My daughter has adopted it and loves it. They are a great riding and fun bike with full crosscountry capability but the high revving, canyon racer cams leave quite a bit to be desired in the fuel economy department. The Ninja is plentiful and cheap but aspiring hypermilers now have new alternatives to choose from to set the bar higher. Honda also offers a CBR125R in many markets (all except in the US?). Fuelly shows many riders getting 95 mpg, 2.48 liters / 100km, 40.4 km / liter on that bike in stock form and it still has a 75mph top speed and excellent highway wind and rain manners with the new body work unlike any 14 inch or smaller wheeled scooters. Honda Canada is currently giving these left over 2011 CBR125Rs away for $3100! Now if only I can figure out how to import one to the US I will have the ultimate highway hypermile machine to rack up big numbers on.
Honda CBR125R MPG Reports | Fuelly
Kawasaki Ninja 250R MPG Reports | Fuelly
http://motorcycle.honda.ca/sport/cbr125r/2011

euromodder 01-16-2012 10:32 AM

And that's the speedy version - sort of anyway.

Honda also have a CBF125 - a naked bike with longer gearing, which should do better because of the gearing. Add a fairing, and it should really be nice.

It's a ticket to 120mpg (US) territory - or under 2L/100km :
Overview: Honda - CBF 125 - Spritmonitor.de

sendler 01-16-2012 11:21 AM

Honda Shine/ CB125

The same bike with many names. The Honda Shine in India, now also available in Australia as the CB125. These 10hp air cooled and carbureted 125cc bikes do amazing FE numbers right off the floor and are very cheap at $2000 brand new. Proven. There are literally a million? of these similar 7-10 hp singles on the road in India and the south east. They would need serious aero mods before they would be fast enough for my commute though. I like the CBR125R for the fact that it is ready to ride at speed and in bad weather stock and is fuel injected which is a big plus for everyday rideability in the bad weather I live with.
CB Shine winner's choice

user removed 01-16-2012 01:51 PM

I had a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator, but it got nowhere near that mileage or top end speed.
It was a good way to get run over in the traffic around here. The 250 is much more suited to riding in eastern Virginia.

regards
Mech

sendler 01-16-2012 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 280029)
I had a Kawasaki 125 Eliminator, but it got nowhere near that mileage or top end speed.
It was a good way to get run over in the traffic around here. The 250 is much more suited to riding in eastern Virginia.

regards
Mech

I agree. For my purposes, a 10hp aircooled scooter engine would never be enough for anything more than a once in a while competition vehicle. The 23hp of the CBR250R is the perfect amount for real crosscountry use and it still gets great economy right off the shelf. My commute has become a known constant after 20 years which I believe I can tackle with the 13hp of the CBR125R while pushing for a 100mpg lifetime average without any major dust bins or frame chopping.

sendler 01-20-2012 07:50 AM

Nobody likes these new Honda's?

user removed 01-20-2012 08:43 AM

Sendler, I don't think it's a case of nobody liking them, more of nobody knowing that much about them. 75-85 MPG at Interstate speeds with 6k oil change intervals and probably the lowest emissions of any vehicle on the road today with an IC engine. I just can't quite get to your mileage figures because I am 61 and 205-210 pounds and tucking behind that stock windshield is a figment of my imagination half a lifetime ago.

I think the 125 has lower compression but I could certainly be wrong, but in your case with your tuck advantages the 125 may be perfect for your trip to work, as long as you don't have too many grades to navigate.

regards
Mech

user removed 01-20-2012 09:04 AM

Just checked, the compression ratio is 11 to 1 and with water cooling I am sure it would be much more powerful than the air cooled Eliminator with 9 to 1 compression, probably no comparison. It would be fun to ride one to see how well it worked for me in my driving environment.

I'm OK with my 250, which for me has enough power to keep me away from the local idiot drivers that tailgate me and in other ways greatly increase the danger to me as a bike rider. Maybe the 125 would be capable of the same especially at the price of under $2k.

I do hope they bring them into the US.

regards
Mech

sendler 01-20-2012 09:25 AM

The CBR125R is water cooled, has 13hp and sells for $3400. The CB125 is air cooled, no faring, 10hp and sells for $2000. Most markets get the CBR125R with a 150cc engine. Or, since 2011, the CBR250R now as well.

jkv357 01-20-2012 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 281026)
Nobody likes these new Honda's?

Since you asked -

If I got a 125cc 4-stroke, it would have to be this -

http://i132.photobucket.com/albums/q...g/b092a275.jpg

Don't think I'd get good mileage though, I'd be too busy having too much fun to even think about short-shifting...

Jay

sendler 01-20-2012 11:42 AM

Great bike. Sadly, not offered in the US either.

jkv357 01-20-2012 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 281082)
Great bike. Sadly, not offered in the US either.

Supposed to be -

This Cycle World article is from Nov 2010, but mentions it as a 2012 model - 2012 Aprilia RS4 125- Aprilia RS4 125 Coming to U.S.

More info about the RS4 - 2012 Aprilia RS4 125 Review

2011 Aprilia RS4 125: Preview | Motorcycle News - this one says "The RS4 will be landing in dealers in July 2011 with a price of £3,999 ($6,500 USD)." (!?)

That last link said $6500!! They don't really think they would sell any at that price do they? Hopefully that's not really what they list for.

Jay

sendler 01-23-2012 02:02 PM

Not too many people interested in motorcycles here apparently. For real, everyday riding and hypermiling, the CBR250R is the best. I love it. Average rider sitting up will get 70mpg and feel there is just enough power to pass at an 85mph top speed. Lay on the comfortable tank without really tucking, air over shoulders, and it is a dart. 93mph top speed and magic ride in sidewinds and truck blasts at 80mpg. Ninja250 is also nice but only 66mpg if you tuck and it's carbureted. I never ride the Ninja anymore. Could probably top 100mph. Next would be a 650. 55mpg.

sendler 01-23-2012 02:11 PM

I got great financing on my CBR250R. Nothing down. rolled in the tax, tags and accessories for 3 years at 1.9%. Or you can save $1000 and find one used. Very few of them get abused by kids. The demographics are interestingly 35-70 male commuters and a few women and beginners. check out the forum. ABS for $500 more is nice if you can get it. They are more rare to come by.
Honda CBR250R Forum : Honda CBR 250 Forums

beatr911 01-23-2012 02:54 PM

Sendler,
I really like this thread on the CBR250R, thanks for keeping it going. I've been following it's introduction and rider discussions since about this time last year and it really appears to be turning out to be a well sorted bike.

Hondas new philosophy of championing fuel efficiency and utility in motorcycles is a key attribute that has been lost on motorcycledom in the last 30 or so years. This could be a real winner for Honda in terms of reputation and product success.

I'm particularly interested in your claims of weather protection on the little CBR. Sitting on one, it didn't appear to have much of any protection for the rider at all, but I'm used to the Concours which as some of the best weather protection of any production bike ever produced. Do you think some deflectors would be easy to fabricate to increase protection to the hands, chest and legs/feet? Possibly a large windscreen as well? What are you doing that leads you to say it has good protection? I'm 6'1" and 185, maybe dimensions play a part?

I'm looking to buy a CBR and have two possible courses of action. 1. Keep it relatively stock and increase the weather protection. I'm seeing it as a test bed for producing accessories if there is demand. 2. Get a lightly crashed one and cut/weld in an Alligator low seating position with significant aerodynamic improvements, prolly just a one-off for myself.

Just considering which course of action will be best depending on the circumstances that present themselves. The CBR is a winning platform and further developing this bike seems like a logical way to go.

sendler 01-23-2012 03:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by beatr911 (Post 281779)
Possibly a large windscreen as well? What are you doing that leads you to say it has good protection? I'm 6'1" and 185, maybe dimensions play a part?

The ergonomics of the CBR250R are perfect to ride while laying on the tank but you are too tall. I'm 5'9 150. You would have to change the windscreen. There are two nice ones to choose from. There is a lot of room on the seat and for your knees at the tank though. Much roomier than the Ninja. My hands get a little wet but I am going to move them in another inch with new bars. My toes get soaked but that is about all. The thing that impresses me is the self correcting ride in crosswinds. The CBR250R automatically leans into the wind. It feels more like you are riding a low flying airplane. And, there is a two inch slot, just above the windscreen where it is basically not raining. Even in a downpour. Perfect visibility.
Of course the engine is very efficient and could easily surpass the Vetter Challenge with a full dustbin and recumbent seating if you wanted to chop it up.

user removed 01-23-2012 03:23 PM

beatr911

I'm 61 years old, a little over 6 feet and a little under 210. You can see my mileage compared to Sendler's. I have too many old injuries to tuck like he does, but I can get down some behind the screen. My daily ride is 20 miles each way with average speeds of right at 39 MPH through 46 traffic lights. I know this route intimately from driving and riding it for 7 years. The CBR250 is just about perfect and I don't really use any advanced techniques. My ride requires me to maintain certain speeds to stay in the light timing envelope, or I would get nailed by a significant number of the lights versus my normal 6.

The fuel injection makes a huge difference in cold weather. I rode my Vulcan 500 the other day and the carbs do not like air at anything lower than probably 55 degrees. I could smell the unburned fuel in colder temps and a couple of times I could feel the effects of icing in the variable venturi carbs.

The CBR has none of these issues. Cold weather mileage has dropped from low mid 80s in summer to about 74 here in cold weather (high 30s low 40s). On the Interstate you have plenty of power. Here anything over 80 is a reckless driving ticket so I don't usually mess with anything over 72 in a 65 or 75 in a 70 zone.

Closing in on 4k miles, when I will do the second oil change. I got two quarts of Amsoil bike oil when I bought the bike. I think the factory recommended change intervals are 6k.
Other than the valve adjustment the maintenance is simple. I have no even had to adjust the drive chain since I bought it with 684 miles with the dealer first service already performed for $3750.

regards
Mech

beatr911 01-24-2012 01:08 PM

Thanks both of you for your ownership reports. It's wet here 9 months of the year so weather protection is an issue. A weather deflector for the feet/legs seems like a good idea as well as a larger and wider windscreen. Narrower bars should help as the bike is light and not too much leverage is needed. Can the existing bars just be cut narrower or is there another bar setup offered yet?

I would also consider lowering the rear suspension an inch or two, it would slow the steering some and reduce the forward lean a little as well. As I'm aging, the racer leg position might become an issue on longer rides in summer. I will need to be sure I can fab up a peg reposition bracket to put them forward a couple of inches. Or maybe just highway pegs inside the weather enclosure.

Kinda wish they would've introduced a motard or adventure or "urban assault" variant of this bike.

The closed loop FI is a big plus. The open loop FI on many bikes seems just plain senseless. Why have the variable mixture control capabilities of FI and not use it to optimize output?

The mpg numbers you both are posting are quite good and I would likely beat what my 200 is doing on my commute. Guessing 85 mpg or so. I do 10 miles at about 45mph and 20 miles at about 60. Two or three stops. It's a pretty optimal commute for mpg. The 200 is tapped out going up steep freeway hills at 60 with the really tall gearing, so it's just enough to get the job done. The CBR would accomplish this same commute with nary a sweat.

sendler 01-24-2012 01:35 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by beatr911 (Post 282045)
Thanks both of you for your ownership reports. It's wet here 9 months of the year so weather protection is an issue. A weather deflector for the feet/legs seems like a good idea as well as a larger and wider windscreen. Narrower bars should help as the bike is light and not too much leverage is needed. Can the existing bars just be cut narrower or is there another bar setup offered yet?

I would also consider lowering the rear suspension an inch or two, it would slow the steering some and reduce the forward lean a little as well. As I'm aging, the racer leg position might become an issue on longer rides in summer. I will need to be sure I can fab up a peg reposition bracket to put them forward a couple of inches. Or maybe just highway pegs inside the weather enclosure.

Kinda wish they would've introduced a motard or adventure or "urban assault" variant of this bike.

The closed loop FI is a big plus. The open loop FI on many bikes seems just plain senseless. Why have the variable mixture control capabilities of FI and not use it to optimize output?

If you are thinking feat forward and sitting up but still not get wet in the rain, it would take a complete rebuild of the seat and bodywork such as Vetter is working on with his "Last Fairing". I can't think of any bike shy of a Concourse or Goldwing or big BMW that can do that stock and they get less FE than a car. Most of the 650 adventure bikes can break 50mpg such as the Versys or the V-Strom but don't have any fairing lowers for your legs. The CBR250R would be a great place to start when he starts selling the fairings as it will do 15% better FE than the Ninja.The Honda Integra would be pretty nice stock but is not slated for sale in the US as they have decided only to bring the naked adventure framed version here.

COcyclist 01-24-2012 06:07 PM

Thanks for starting this thread Sendler. I used to ride everywhere on a Suzuki GT 550 two stroke triple. I commuted in all sorts of weather, kept a full rain suit in the tank bag with waterproof glove and shoe covers. I drove it like I stole it and averaged about 40 mpg plus topping off the two stroke oil tank every once in a while. I am intrigued by these fuel economy numbers. I live in the mountains so fuel injection would be great for altitude changes too. I have a short commute to work so I ride a bicycle. Lately, most of my driving involves hauling a bicycle or skis or a carload of passengers. It would be fun to have something that you could potentially get 100 mpg with though.

beatr911 01-25-2012 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sendler (Post 282056)
If you are thinking feat forward and sitting up but still not get wet in the rain, it would take a complete rebuild of the seat and bodywork such as Vetter is working on with his "Last Fairing". I can't think of any bike shy of a Concourse or Goldwing or big BMW that can do that stock and they get less FE than a car. Most of the 650 adventure bikes can break 50mpg such as the Versys or the V-Strom but don't have any fairing lowers for your legs. The CBR250R would be a great place to start when he starts selling the fairings as it will do 15% better FE than the Ninja.The Honda Integra would be pretty nice stock but is not slated for sale in the US as they have decided only to bring the naked adventure framed version here.

Seems like an Integra in a 250 and the 700 size would do well here in the states helping to bridge the gap between scooter and motorcycle. Honda has done wierder things in their motorcycle offerings resulting in bikes 8-10 years ahead of thier time. For example the PC800, Transalp, TLR200 Reflex among others.

Improving the CBR weather protection with strategically placed deflectors doesn't seem like that far of a stretch really. I agree that Concours or Gold Wing sized protection is not feasible without a full Vetter "Last" fariing, while also maintaining decent mpg. Sitting upright is more comfortable than a sporty position when significant wind protection is used, as leaning into the moving air becomes less and less a part of the comfort equation for the hands and neck.

Using the cycle-ergo site and comparing my dimension between the Concours and the CBR250R it is clear that in profile there isn't much protection in stock form on the CBR. As my Concours windshield has 4" cut off from the windshield top to get the helmet into quieter less turbulent air, it looks like a 4-5" taller windshield on the CBR would reach about the same height, and be closer to the rider. From experience this creates a smaller yet more effective bubble of quiet air. The other issue though is width of the bubble which is obviously much smaller on the CBR.

Sendler, as your standard position is a mild tuck, how much do you estimate you would need to lower the seat to put your head at the same hieght while sitting in a more natural position?

sendler 01-25-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beatr911 (Post 282257)
Sendler, as your standard position is a mild tuck, how much do you estimate you would need to lower the seat to put your head at the same hieght while sitting in a more natural position?

If you lower the seat, you legs have no room so you then have to move your feet out all the way to a cruiser position.

HHOTDI 02-07-2012 12:25 PM

I remember seeing in a prior thread, somewhere and maybe you guys already know this, that Honda made a 700cc that gets 80mpg in 2012...? That is huge coming from a 700cc bike, and really nice looking too. :{)

sendler 02-07-2012 12:38 PM

The new Honda 700 is a nice fuel economy engine. Standard tested at 63mpg. A dedicated rider could hit 70mpg.
http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...omy-20186.html

thomason2wheels 10-16-2012 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 280029)

regards
Mech

I bet you keep that 250 breathing pretty hard down there...people down there drive crazy! :eek:

HHOTDI 08-08-2019 12:26 AM

Just last Feb of 2018, i purchased a 2012 Honda NC700x, and have enjoyed it so very much. Ride On!

My intention this winter, is to build a Vetter Fairing for it. I'll do the tail section first, then as time allows the nose/front part. Too bad Craig has not fully/mostly recovered from his accident and reinstated the Vetter Fuel Challenges! I'd so like to compete in one before/after. Hey Alan... Hey Vic... Anyone up for a Vetter type challenge of our own!? :{)