EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   2013 Honda Civic: 78.5 MPG ! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2013-honda-civic-78-5-mpg-23872.html)

DonBarletta 11-03-2012 11:56 AM

2013 Honda Civic: 78.5 MPG !

New 78.5 MPG Honda Civic 1.6-litre i-DTEC Diesel Priced from £19,400 in Britain - Carscoop

Arragonis 11-03-2012 12:53 PM

Thats only 63 MPG US, and nothing remarkable for the new gen 1.6 Diesels - also that Civic is Europe only AFAIK - there are some benefits of living here :D

On the same page is a link to this which looks a lot more fun.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-juNe24wRQ1...da-N-One-4.jpg

Quote:

Customers in Japan can choose from two engine options, a 0.66-liter naturally aspirated three-cylinder unit and a turbocharged version of the same powerplant, in either front or all-wheel drive configurations.

niky 11-03-2012 01:34 PM

Oh man, I wish they'd export that Kei in left-hand drive.

Cobb 11-03-2012 06:37 PM

Thats the only nice part about the metric system, it increases your fuel economy. :thumbup:

Now I hear the new hch is lifepo4 and with careful driving you can easily get into the 70s for mpg.

HypermilerAX 11-06-2012 02:57 PM

Definitely nothing to be impressed at. The new Renault Clio 4 has a mixt FE of 73,5 mpg (US).
Anyway, no FE under 100 mpg from newers cars will impress me when I see I can get up to 85 mpg with a 20-year old technology.

Cobb 11-07-2012 01:13 PM

:eek: In a way it is, alot of car manufactures are finding tricks to keep up mpg while meeting if not exceeding the tougher emission and crash safety ratings in their newer vehicles.

Geo/Suzuki had a lot of tricks up their sleeves as into the 1999/2000 year they kept the metros mpg on par with the previous model, excluding the limited run of the xfi.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-07-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HypermilerAX (Post 338342)
Anyway, no FE under 100 mpg from newers cars will impress me when I see I can get up to 85 mpg with a 20-year old technology.

But with a Citroën AX, weighting less than 850kg, it's easier to get such mileage figures than with a more recent model with all that safety features which increased the vehicles' weight :D

Arragonis 11-07-2012 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cRiPpLe_rOoStEr (Post 338548)
But with a Citroën AX, weighting less than 850kg, it's easier to get such mileage figures than with a more recent model with all that safety features which increased the vehicles' weight :D

There are a few transplants over here - mainly petrol and in the search of "Go" though instead of FE - e.g. 1.6 16V into a Citroen AX, or an MGF 1.8 VVC into a (Rover) Metro - enough to frighten BMWs anyway.

Diesel or FE related transplants are less common - less justification for the cost I suppose.

Arragonis 11-07-2012 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cobb (Post 338541)
:eek: In a way it is, alot of car manufactures are finding tricks to keep up mpg while meeting if not exceeding the tougher emission and crash safety ratings in their newer vehicles.

Geo/Suzuki had a lot of tricks up their sleeves as into the 1999/2000 year they kept the metros mpg on par with the previous model, excluding the limited run of the xfi.

The current Euro Civic would probably meet every safety test that the US model would out of the box. It would also probably meet every emission test too - the Diesel is the odd one out as the engine is probably not certified for use in the US - just like the VW TDI 1.6 16V which is wonderous.

The US is a wierd place when it comes to imports - I heard a sausage maker today on the radio. They sell £100m+ of exports to Europe every year and apparently the US eats $1bn+ worth of "hot dogs" in the same period. Yet just because the USDA has no import certification method for "sausages" they can't sell in the US.

Welcome to free trade ladies and others. :rolleyes:

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 11-08-2012 07:06 AM

It's worth to note the 1.6L i-DTEC has a little more torque than the 2.4L K24 from the U.S.-spec Honda CR-V.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arragonis (Post 338574)
There are a few transplants over here - mainly petrol and in the search of "Go" though instead of FE - e.g. 1.6 16V into a Citroen AX, or an MGF 1.8 VVC into a (Rover) Metro - enough to frighten BMWs anyway.

That's nice too. But considering the chances to get a newer Diesel such as the 1.6HDi, it would be a good way to meet fuel-efficiency and power, being able to legally delete EGR, DPF and all that emissions controls which were not mandated when the AX was made :thumbup: