Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2020, 06:50 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

2011 Ford Ranger 4.0L with topper - ideas

I have a 2011 Ford Ranger 4.0L 4x4 auto with a topper on it. I purchased the 2011 Ranger because there were only two trucks that would fit in my garage: the Ford Ranger and older 2D Toyota Tacoma. The Ranger has the advantage of having the extended cab and several thousand cheaper in general than the Toyota Tacomas. This is the lowest gas mileage vehicle I have ever owned but I need a vehicle to haul things and pull a trailer. I have a second vehicle for a commuter but now working from home so no longer commuting. Wondering if I could increase the highway mileage on the Ranger to an "acceptable" level and get back down to one vehicle. It came with a topper which should help aero dynamics a bit. I have reviewed postings for ideas: (1) aero mods to front grill, (2) narrower tires, (3) wheel covers, (4) some kind of underbody pan. Obviously from a purely economic standpoint it doesn't pay to spend more on mods than what will be saved on gas. Aero mods to the front grill shouldn't be too expensive / difficult ... any ideas on what the savings might be? I will need new tires sometime next year so that needed anyway. I don't take it "off road" so don't need aggressive tread pattern but it DOES need to have decent traction in the snow / ice. Any recomendations from folks in WI, MN, MI regarding tires? What about an "Aero Tail" mod like they have on semi-trailers? I didn't see anything about that in my search results but many have developed Aero Bed Covers (JRMichler stands out but there are several) so possibly the Aero Tail not as useful then. Thanks in advance for comments / help / pointers / recommendations.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Reply  Post New Thread