Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > General Efficiency Discussion
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2016, 04:06 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Zed - Sold - '14 Honda CR-Z base
Last 3: 44.31 mpg (US)

Christie - '92 Dodge Dakota 4x4 LE
90 day: 17.03 mpg (US)
I need an MPGuino!!

My DD is a CR-Z, with its nifty little MPG gauge. I have found myself keeping an eye on it, without actually watching it. Seems like it has paid off, even though I believe the car could achieve better mileage, I'm still pleased with its results.

Well, I recently got my project truck onto the road, and have been driving it to make sure there are no bugs. I wasn't expecting its mileage to be stellar, but I know I can do better. I'm hanging around carbed MPGs! I've noticed that the available torque puts a smile on my face, until it occurs to me that its costing me, so that needs to change. I know the issues it has are going to create a noticeable dent in my mileage (trans needs adjustment), but I'm thinking that having something to keep an eye on will help me out.

FWIW, I got this today.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 02-18-2016, 08:54 PM   #2 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rice rocket - '97 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
A cr-z only gets 14mpg? I would assume it's a lot better, I was looking at one before i bought my civic
Old 02-18-2016, 08:56 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

The car has averaged low 40s through the winter, the truck is getting 14.
Old 02-19-2016, 11:28 AM   #4 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

rice rocket - '97 Honda Civic HX
Team Honda
90 day: 32.61 mpg (US)
ah,i was going to say something is wrong. Makes sense now though, lol.
Old 03-07-2016, 08:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
Alternative Fuels Addict

Which engine? Yesterday I bought a '92 Dakota with the 318/5.2. My plan is to put a gasifier in the back, duplicating Wayne Keith's efforts on Home | Drive On Wood!. Then, I'll be judging my economy on miles per pound of wood (about 5000 miles for a cord of wood) instead of mpg.

The 318 has never been known as an economy engine so anything will help. I've already ordered a vacuum gauge. That is a great tool to help us squeeze as much out as possible. Next, check the rear end ratio. Cruising at anything over 2,000rpm won't bode well.

I'll drive this Dakota for a while and will work on efficiency before adding the gasifier. I'll update on my progress.
Old 03-09-2016, 06:32 PM   #6 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddT58 View Post
Which engine? Yesterday I bought a '92 Dakota with the 318/5.2. My plan is to put a gasifier in the back, duplicating Wayne Keith's efforts on Home | Drive On Wood!. Then, I'll be judging my economy on miles per pound of wood (about 5000 miles for a cord of wood) instead of mpg.

The 318 has never been known as an economy engine so anything will help. I've already ordered a vacuum gauge. That is a great tool to help us squeeze as much out as possible. Next, check the rear end ratio. Cruising at anything over 2,000rpm won't bode well.

I'll drive this Dakota for a while and will work on efficiency before adding the gasifier. I'll update on my progress.
I've read about the gasifiers, but not to the point I would want to power a very rarely driven parts runner with one. I would be interested in following the build once you start it though.

My truck does have the 5.2, but it came with the 3.9. I'm still ironing out some bugs with its efficiency too. The most pressing issue (and what causes my poor mileage) is to find out why it seems to drag. When the truck if off the ground, everything spins freely, but when trying to coast, its feels more like the Honda, like its trying to aggressively regenerate.

Going off of that, I have thought about putting the 2wd tailshaft back onto the replacement trans and then powering the front tires with an electric motor. The truck is driven so rarely as it is, that the cost of this swap would be completely pointless. For now, I'll stick with some relatively cheap aero mods, 2wd mirrors, antenna delete, bellypan, and a slight lowering (FWIW, a 4x4 can go down to almost a 2wd height).