EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   2016 Scion tC (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/2016-scion-tc-33306.html)

GK13 01-05-2016 12:52 PM

2016 Scion tC

So, I really want to get the mileage up on my car. Is there anything I can do for it? I've maxed the air pressure in the tires. I drive REALLY conservatively. I do all the Eco driving possible. In neutral to slow down instead of brakes. All the small ticks I know. Do I need a cold air intake? Warm air intake? I have no idea how to do a grill block. How much of the radiator could I block? Is it even save doing that since there's no temp gauge? I'm kinda at a loss. It's a brand new car with under 1,000 miles so nothing should be dirty at all. Is there a certain spark plug that could help? Is there a tune for it where it can make the car run more efficient? Any ideas? I can't take the windshield wipers off or the antenna. Kinda unusable if I do. Tried it.

Daox 01-05-2016 12:54 PM

What is your typical commute like? From there we can evaluate what mods would do you the best.

GK13 01-05-2016 01:35 PM

It's a mix of city and highway. Lately it's been more city but I tend to usually do a lot more highway. I'll look into the scan gauges but right now o don't have the funds to drop on a unit.

GK13 01-06-2016 10:01 PM

Well, I thought a scan gauge would be a lot more expensive. But they're really not. So, after getting that, what will that help with? Does it tell the car to be more efficient?

MobilOne 01-07-2016 02:12 AM

New car? Change the oil to get any crap left in the engine by the mfg out. And any stuff too small for the oil filter to get. If you are lucky, you will just have wasted an oil change. Most likely you will feel really small grit in the oil and may see some brass colored filings.

GK13 01-07-2016 03:20 AM

Yeah. It's not quite 1,000 miles on the car yet. Do they have a break in period?

Joggernot 01-08-2016 08:01 AM

Back in the 70s(?) Ford did all the engine break-in at the factory so people didn't have to do the break-in. A law suit was filed because the break-in done by the factory meant that the car was "used" when received. Ford had to discontinue to do this engine break-in back then. How do they get around it now?

RedDevil 01-08-2016 09:34 AM

I don't know about the Scion but the Insights have a special oil that is to be used for the prescribed break in period.
Changing it prematurely for 'normal' oil is not advisable.

Modern engines are manufactured to a high standard so you do not have to worry about debris in the oil, but even then the oil filter would catch any.

Allow your car to break in properly before you do extensive modding.
Read the hypermiling tips on top of the page, air up the tires, enter your car in the garage and keep a fuel log.
The fuel log will show your progress as the tanks go by.

GK13 01-09-2016 01:55 PM

So is really the only mod doing a grill block? Because that's what it seems like to me. I'm gonna try and do that soon with some coroplast. Any ideas how to keep it on there snug but still be removable and look good?

GK13 01-11-2016 10:17 PM

So, seems the car's computer isn't quite accurate. Calculated my own mileage and got 34. something. So, is this just my car or is this a common thing?

Daox 01-12-2016 08:27 AM

The car's computer is almost never totally right. Its always best to calculate by hand.

As for the grill block, there are a million examples here on the site. It really depends what your current grill looks like.

GK13 01-13-2016 02:43 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Idk what aero mods I could do? Is it hard to do a belly pan and not drill into the car or damage it?

GK13 01-15-2016 05:08 AM

So, would doing a more open exhaust, kn air filter, and belly pan pretty much be all I could do to the car? I don't see me needing a full cold air intake for "power". And I can't find just a simple short ram intake so maybe just the k&n? Idk. Would taking the air box out entirely and just putting on a cone filter work better? I'm just thinking more air, better engine breathing. Could someone give me pointers for the belly pan? I'm having a hard time finding a way to connect it to the car without permanent damage to the car. I want something like zip ties or something easily removed. It's a lease at the moment.

Daox 01-15-2016 08:40 AM

For mod ideas, I'd really suggest sticking to the 65+ mods that we know work, unless you're a real experienced car/engine/aero guy. If one simply implements a handful of these mods you're pretty much guaranteed some decent gains. Note, K&N filters and cold intakes are not on the list. Warm air intakes are however. Exhaust could be, but its quite expensive and probably not worth the cost as you'll never recoup it in gas savings.

If I were you with a new leased car, I'd be looking at:
1) scangauge or similar
2) air up the tires
3) grill block
4) air dam

I'd also start a garage entry and fuel log to track my progress.

gone-ot 01-15-2016 09:20 AM

...but, FIRST do a thorough "base-line" fuel economy analyses -- then -- systematically perform A-B-A tests of each of the above items 2-thru-4 to quantify how much BETTER than the "base-line" you're able to achieve using each technique. The final, cumulative results will amaze you.

GK13 01-16-2016 06:24 PM

Ok. So I guess I've done my first "mods". I removed the snorkel from the air box, and put cardboard infront of the radiator. It covers most of the radiator but left some uncovered simply from being worried about damaging anything. It really shouldn't since it's cold out but who knows. Since I've now taken the wind off of the radiator, does that do the same as a grill block?

RedDevil 01-17-2016 03:59 AM

Use some air intake measuring device to ensure the air intake and general under hood temperature does not get out of hand.
When I removed the snorkel combined with a lower grill block it rose to above 50 degrees Celsius (128 Fahrenheid) and I saw the instant economy drop. But my car has EGR; some cars without EGR seem to tolerate much higher intake temps to good benefit.

The grill block causes less fluctuations than the snorkel delete, so my snorkel is back on to stay there.

Before I had my UltraGauge I used a cheap digital in/out thermometer with the out feeler in the airbox. Worked fine except I could not read it at night.

UltArc 01-17-2016 06:18 PM

I'd read around here- people always innovate and do crafty things I'd never think of. Underbody is simple if you make if simple- tire spats as well, that's my next project.

I infer this is an auto by the "neutral" term being used- often it is more efficient to DFCO than sit in neutral, it also saves brake wear. The SCii will give you tons of insight into how the car performs, and what you can do to use the least fuel while meeting your other goals. I have used a full upper and lower grille block for three years with no issues- the dummy gauge never leaned closer to warm than cold, and never passed by personal unsafe zone.

vskid3 01-17-2016 07:42 PM

What kind of mileage are you expecting and what are you getting? The average for tC's on Fuelly is 25-27MPG. If you're getting 34, you're already doing pretty good.

I wouldn't replace a working intake or exhaust (or most parts) in the name of saving money on most vehicles. The mileage improvement is usually small, if there is any.

Along with the others, I highly recommend a Scangauge or Ultragauge. Even more so with the grill block. Watch the intake air temperature and engine temperature to make sure you don't cook anything. It also helps you see how efficient you're driving. You may find out that something you do is actually hurting your mileage. One example is accelerating too slowly. Unless you know you'll have to stop soon, accelerating a little quicker is usually better.

GK13 01-19-2016 06:56 AM

That's a good point on the acceleration. Thank you. I guess since it's my first car and I'm clueless, I just want the best I possibly can get. It really is a game with me. I'm trying to figure out a way to do the underbody. Would using industrial Velcro work? I just want it to stay on there if I want it on there but not damage anything. What about getting a volo meter? I saw that and was wondering if anyone had any personal experience with it? I am going to try and save up for a scan gauge. Saw some cheap turbo gauges and didn't know if they were any good? And what about a Bluetooth one to my phone perhaps? Any good apps?