EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModder Blog Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodder-blog-discussion.html)
-   -   214 mpg with DIY aerodynamic fairings on Honda 125cc motorbike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/214-mpg-diy-aerodynamic-fairings-honda-125cc-motorbike-12027.html)

SVOboy 01-25-2010 04:30 PM

214 mpg with DIY aerodynamic fairings on Honda 125cc motorbike

Dutch efficiency enthusiast Allert Jacobs has converted his new Honda motorbike into a streamliner capable of getting over 200 mpg (US) cruising at 55 mph.The Honda ANF125i Innova was pretty efficient right out of the box, since it followed the basic formula for low fuel consumption: small size + light weight + modest engine power.The [...]Related posts:
  1. Mercedes to Sell Super-Aerodynamic Cars in 5 Years
  2. What Would an Aerodynamic Smart Fortwo Look Like?
  3. Honda UK Asks Customers to Eco-Test Drive the New Honda Insight

More...

theycallmeebryan 01-25-2010 04:49 PM

Mr jacob's creation has been something i have admired since the first time i came across his website a few months ago. I had mentioned it breifly in my Ninja 250 fairing thread. I plan on following similar techniques for making the fairing. While i dont beleive i'll acheive 200+mpg like the innova, i'd be happy with anything over 125mpg.

One advantage the innova has over the Ninja 250 is the seating position. Mr Jacob was able to drastically lower his seat height so that his frontal area is minimal. On my Ninja 250, i can not really do that as there is framing right under the seat. I would have to cut the frame, move the airbox and battery out of the way (and reroute the intake tract), and reweld alternate framing to maintain its overall rigidity. Its something i have the ability to do, but i am not sure i want to butcher my motorcycle.

Christ 01-27-2010 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theycallmeebryan (Post 156667)
Mr jacob's creation has been something i have admired since the first time i came across his website a few months ago. I had mentioned it breifly in my Ninja 250 fairing thread. I plan on following similar techniques for making the fairing. While i dont beleive i'll acheive 200+mpg like the innova, i'd be happy with anything over 125mpg.

One advantage the innova has over the Ninja 250 is the seating position. Mr Jacob was able to drastically lower his seat height so that his frontal area is minimal. On my Ninja 250, i can not really do that as there is framing right under the seat. I would have to cut the frame, move the airbox and battery out of the way (and reroute the intake tract), and reweld alternate framing to maintain its overall rigidity. Its something i have the ability to do, but i am not sure i want to butcher my motorcycle.

Bryan - you could always but the seat frame bars and just lower them on the strut tube, but that would put you closer to the foot stays, tucking your knees further into your chest, creating yet another problem. If you were to do something like that, you're probably better off starting with a foot-forward design.

NeilBlanchard 01-27-2010 02:53 PM

Both Gas 2.0 and Autoblog Green have both picked up this story.

bgd73 01-28-2010 11:52 AM

the bike story. wow.

I'd like to quote:
Quote:

Unlike the average person, he is not surprised by the fact that a typical car burns 50% of its fuel overcoming air resistance at just 40 mph (64 km/h). Or that the higher drag of a typical motorbike means half of its fuel is used to overcome air drag at just 15 – 20 mph (24 – 32 km/h)!

If an engine is battling itself in its own environment that badly, it is an inline with counterbalance. Now that model T has been gone a long time...I am certain he described an inline with counterbalance.

A perfect example to counter act is my own machine learned over 12 years...

A 3 main boxer at 9to1 compression and of course self balanced, it has a trait like an old low compression gas v8 5ton haytruck: I save fuel by adding weight, resistance is good. The car is it's size. The work needed is it's efficient.
In fact I run larger rally tread grinding the road (gear ratio taller), a roof rack exactly in the wind, no fairings, jacked up and 80pounds of steel added after 140 hours of welding...
my greatest fuel mileages have emerged since then, as well as my greatest problems. Of course, expected.
The guy should stick to his own 200mpg quest, don't bother summing up the whole colorful world.

Christ 01-28-2010 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgd73 (Post 157393)
the bike story. wow.

I'd like to quote:

If an engine is battling itself in its own environment that badly, it is an inline with counterbalance. Now that model T has been gone a long time...I am certain he described an inline with counterbalance.

A 3 main boxer at 9to1 compression and of course self balanced, it has a trait like an old low compression gas v8 5ton haytruck: I save fuel by adding weight, resistance is good. The car is it's size. The work needed is it's efficient.
In fact I run larger rally tread grinding the road (gear ratio taller), a roof rack exactly in the wind, no fairings, jacked up and 80pounds of steel added after 140 hours of welding...
my greatest fuel mileages have emerged since then, as well as my greatest problems. Of course, expected.
The guy should stick to his own 200mpg quest, don't bother summing up the whole colorful world.

Often, preaching is easier to swallow when the preacher is heeding his own advice..

Of course, it helps when the preacher isn't speaking of things he has misunderstood.

2003protege 01-30-2010 09:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bgd73 (Post 157393)
the bike story. wow.

I'd like to quote:

o_O