Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2010, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ernie Rogers

Need report refs for tire pressure benefits

Hello, folks,

We all know how important tire pressure is for getting good mileage. A high-up guy in the Sierra Club is interested in launching a campaign to require that gas stations provide free air throughout the U.S. One or two states already have such a law. He is looking for hard data to support arguments for the campaign. Free air means people will more likely keep up tire pressure and that means fuel saved AND improved safety.

If anybody has some references to reports on the topic, I will pass them on to my friend in the Sierra Club. Two considerations--

1) Data relating tire pressure to fuel economy and tire life
2) Information on safety versus tire pressure.

Tire blowouts often happen with inadequate tire pressure and resulting tire heating. The SUV rollovers some years back were shown to be encouraged by inadequate tire pressure. And, occasionally we hear that highway patrol cars use very high tire pressure in enhance safety. Any documents to support these?

Ernie Rogers

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 04-17-2010, 03:38 AM   #2 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Golden Egg - '93 Toyota Previa DX
90 day: 31.91 mpg (US)

Chewie - '03 Toyota Prius
90 day: 57 mpg (US)

The Spaceship - '00 Honda Insight
I started a thread on tire pressure a couple of months back which would tend to support the safety aspect of proper inflation up to max sidewall. There are a few links and tidbits in there and a good debate on the subject of pressure and traction/safety.

http://ecomodder.com/forum/showthrea...e-11433-3.html

"It’s easy to explain how rockets work but explaining the aerodynamics of a wing takes a rocket scientist.

Old 04-17-2010, 08:04 AM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

The Guzzler - '08 Hyundai Elantra GL
90 day: 33.12 mpg (US)

Got Soul? - '11 Kia Soul 2U
I posted this in the thread previously referenced, but people often don't click links, so I'll repost it for everyone's benefit.

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards;
Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems;
Controls and Displays

When working on TPMS standards, the NHTSA decided not to have over-inflation monitored. This is what they said:

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHTSA
we are not aware of vehicle safety data reporting over-inflated tires as a significant safety hazard. In addition, available information does not suggest that over-inflation has the same safety implications as under-inflation, which causes heat buildup in a tire, potentially leading to permanent tire damage and sudden failure.

www.HyperKilometreur.com - Quand chaque goutte compte...
Old 04-18-2010, 02:51 AM   #4 (permalink)
aero guerrilla

Svietlana II - '13 Peugeot 308SW e-HDI 6sp
90 day: 58.1 mpg (US)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ernie Rogers View Post
A high-up guy in the Sierra Club is interested in launching a campaign to require that gas stations provide free air throughout the U.S. One or two states already have such a law. He is looking for hard data to support arguments for the campaign. Free air means people will more likely keep up tire pressure and that means fuel saved AND improved safety.
I think that is a great idea
The next step should be requiring all auto garages to check the pressure of every car they get their hands on and inflate to at least the suggested pressure.

What matters is where you're going, not how fast.

"... we humans tend to screw up everything that's good enough as it is...or everything that we're attracted to, we love to go and defile it." - Chris Cornell

[Old] Piwoslaw's Peugeot 307sw modding thread
Old 04-19-2010, 06:51 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Serenity - '93 Nissan Sentra SE-R
90 day: 20.55 mpg (US)
No free air? That sucks, most gas stations here in Missouri (at least, southwest MO) have free air.
Old 04-20-2010, 11:52 AM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Tank - '96 Ford Aspire 4 door
Team Ford
90 day: 46.75 mpg (US)
California requires stations to give free air to customers, and I believe Oregon is the same. My local Safeway has a fuel station, and doesn't require you to buy gas to get air. Then again, that's my regular station, so they probably recognise my car.

My bike tires needs some air, so I'll go and see if I can get it filled up there.

Last edited by AeroModder; 04-20-2010 at 11:58 AM..
Old 04-20-2010, 01:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Mater - '98 Dodge 3500 Dually

Wilber - '99 Toyota Corolla LX

Minyatta - '93 Mazda Miata MX-5
I can remeber the days when we used to have to pay 10 cents to use the crapper @ departments stores. It's a shame that we need more laws to help out with this paid air problem too. You go Ernie! I agree with your proposal.

Best of luck,
Dave
Old 04-20-2010, 01:31 PM   #8 (permalink)
The road not so traveled

The Truck - '99 Nissan Frontier xe
90 day: 25.74 mpg (US)

The Ugly Duck - '84 Jeep CJ7 Rock crawler
New Mexico doesn't require gas stations to even provide pay air, and the last time I tried to pay for air I didn't even get 5psi into one tire for $.75. Now I have a small air compressor that plugs into the power port in each car. They easily pay for themselves.

Reply  Post New Thread