Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Aerodynamics
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-05-2008, 06:36 PM   #1 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
Screen on windows?

I was reading how screen is used as underbody pans. Could you use it on windows, so you could roll down windows in a non-ac car like mine. It would allow heat out, and maybe in theory at highway speeds keep drag down.

It could be made to just snap into place somehow and be removed around town. Kinda how a race car net works. Does anyone think this would work? Or am I just too addicted to mileage.

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 08-05-2008, 07:25 PM   #2 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
90 day: 42.72 mpg (US)
It could work but I'm not sure how durable it would be to the high temps likely generated from the engine or as to how effective mesh is as "surface smoothers" for a belly pan. My own tests were for perpendicular airflow and whether they could work as blocks/dams. Tomorrow I will run some GPH tests to see how effective they are as lower grill blocks.

For the side windows, I don't know without some testing. It also raises some legal/safety issues especially for front sides. I'll need to look up the vehicle codes before I do any side window tests but I like the idea as well.

My 5 pillars of fuel efficiency:
  • driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-05-2008, 07:52 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Truck - '97 Ford Ranger
90 day: 30.32 mpg (US)
it may not be an improvement over just cracking the windows, the wind drag would be generated from air allowed into car. so full window down screen may be the same amount of air in and drag as if the window is down slightly. This is just my theory and could be way off in real life.

Or you could do what i do and crack the window for a few seconds everytime it gets too unbearable, and open the window (they are the crank kind and dont want to reach for passenger side) all the way when you need to slow down.
Old 08-05-2008, 08:55 PM   #4 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
I'll try and rig something up but because of the vehicle codes I can only attach to them to rear side windows which wouldn't be very useful for cooling the front.

• driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 PM   #5 (permalink)
Addicted

bbjsw10 - '91 Geo Metro Xfi
90 day: 51.06 mpg (US)
I was thinking also maybe velcro sewn to them and velcro on door around window. Just stick on when wanted and pull off when you don't. I heard screen works well when ran inline with direction of movement, almost acts like a solid panel to the air. Could be way off base on this though, I am no scientist. I may try it out to see if there is any difference.

And on the codes why would you not be allowed screen if it was just velcro'd on? It would not cause any safety issues, compared to windows down. It may even be safer kinda keep debris out of vehicle and eyes.

I am just looking for a better way to cool car than cranking windows half way down when I have my 68 yr, old father in car with me, he has heart problems and the heat really gets him. My 7 yr old also, I don't mind the heat too much better than being cold.
Old 08-06-2008, 04:51 AM   #6 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
Some of the big RVs have screened drivers and passenger windows. Not sure it's legal or safety issues keeping them of off cars and trucks but more the aesthetics.

Old 08-06-2008, 05:32 AM   #7 (permalink)
Pokémoderator

1999 Saturn SW2 - '99 Saturn SW2 Wagon
Team Saturn
90 day: 40.49 mpg (US)
justpassntime -

Quote:
Originally Posted by justpassntime View Post
Some of the big RVs have screened drivers and passenger windows. Not sure it's legal or safety issues keeping them of off cars and trucks but more the aesthetics.
Couldn't this be a dual-purpose bug screen for when the RV is parked?

CarloSW2

What's your EPA MPG? Go Here and find out!
American Solar Energy Society
Old 08-06-2008, 07:15 AM   #8 (permalink)
Boxhead

Boxy Brown - '04 Scion xB
90 day: 35.48 mpg (US)
Send a message via AIM to whokilledthejams
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfg83 View Post
justpassntime -

Couldn't this be a dual-purpose bug screen for when the RV is parked?

CarloSW2
Conversion vans also often have screened windows for some reason.
Old 08-06-2008, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
Mr. Blue Tape

AzxA - '06 Scion xA
here's the code that makes me think I cannot put screens on the front side windows. Note the exceptions but without a medical reason, I'm stuck with only rear side windows to cover.

V.C. Section 26708 - Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver’s View

Quote:
Material Obstructing or Reducing Driver's View
26708. (a) (1) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied upon the windshield or side or rear windows.

(2) No person shall drive any motor vehicle with any object or material placed, displayed, installed, affixed, or applied in or upon the vehicle which obstructs or reduces the driver's clear view through the windshield or side windows.

(3) This subdivision applies to a person driving a motor vehicle with the driver's clear vision through the windshield, or side or rear windows, obstructed by snow or ice.

(b) This section does not apply to any of the following:

(1) Rearview mirrors.

(2) Adjustable nontransparent sunvisors which are mounted forward of the side windows and are not attached to the glass.

(3) Signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield farthest removed from the driver, signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 7-inch square in the lower corner of the rear window farthest removed from the driver, or signs, stickers, or other materials which are displayed in a 5-inch square in the lower corner of the windshield nearest the driver.

(4) Side windows which are to the rear of the driver.(EXCEPTION)

(5) Direction, destination, or termini signs upon a passenger common carrier motor vehicle or a schoolbus, if those signs do not interfere with the driver's clear view of approaching traffic.

(6) Rear window wiper motor.

(7) Rear trunk lid handle or hinges.

(8) The rear window or windows, when the motor vehicle is equipped with outside mirrors on both the left- and right-hand sides of the vehicle that are so located as to reflect to the driver a view of the highway through each mirror for a distance of at least 200 feet to the rear of the vehicle.

(9) A clear, transparent lens affixed to the side window opposite the driver on a vehicle greater than 80 inches in width and which occupies an area not exceeding 50 square inches of the lowest corner toward the rear of that window and which provides the driver with a wide-angle view through the lens.

(10) Sun screening devices meeting the requirements of Section 26708.2 installed on the side windows on either side of the vehicle's front seat, if the driver or a passenger in the front seat has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed physician and surgeon certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a medical condition, or has in his or her possession a letter or other document signed by a licensed optometrist certifying that the person must be shaded from the sun due to a visual condition. The devices authorized by this paragraph shall not be used during darkness.

(11) An electronic communication device affixed to the center uppermost portion of the interior of a windshield within an area that is not greater than 5 inches square, if the device provides either of the following:

(A) The capability for enforcement facilities of the Department of the California Highway Patrol to communicate with a vehicle equipped with the device.

(B) The capability for electronic toll and traffic management on public or private roads or facilities.

(c) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the topmost portion of the windshield if the following conditions apply:

(1) The bottom edge of the material is at least 29 inches above the undepressed driver's seat when measured from a point 5 inches in front of the bottom of the backrest with the driver's seat in its rearmost and lowermost position with the vehicle on a level surface.

(2) The material is not red or amber in color.

(3) There is no opaque lettering on the material and any other lettering does not affect primary colors or distort vision through the windshield.

(4) The material does not reflect sunlight or headlight glare into the eyes of occupants of oncoming or following vehicles to any greater extent than the windshield without the material.

(d) Notwithstanding subdivision (a), clear, colorless, and transparent material may be installed, affixed, or applied to the front side windows, located to the immediate left and right of the front seat if the following conditions are met:

(1) The material has a minimum visible light transmittance of 88 percent.

(2) The window glazing with the material applied meets all requirements of Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard No. 205 (49 C.F.R. 571.205), including the specified minimum light transmittance of 70 percent and the abrasion resistance of AS-14 glazing, as specified in that federal standard.

(3) The material is designed and manufactured to enhance the ability of the existing window glass to block the sun's harmful ultraviolet A rays.

(4) The driver has in his or her possession, or within the vehicle, a certificate signed by the installing company certifying that the windows with the material installed meet the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the installing company and the material's manufacturer by full name and street address, or, if the material was installed by the vehicle owner, a certificate signed by the material's manufacturer certifying that the windows with the material installed according to manufacturer's instructions meets the requirements of this subdivision and identifies the material's manufacturer by full name and street address.

(5) If the material described in this subdivision tears or bubbles, or is otherwise worn to prohibit clear vision, it shall be removed or replaced.

Amended Sec. 77, Ch. 1154, Stats. 1996. Effective September 30, 1996.
Amended Sec. 1, Ch. 476, Stats. 1998. Effective January 1, 1999.

• driving style
  • aerodynamics
  • tires
  • weight reduction
  • engine maintenance
Old 08-06-2008, 02:03 PM   #10 (permalink)
What? THIS IS MY GOOD CAR

The Japillac - '87 Honda Accord LXi Sedan
90 day: 31.77 mpg (US)

Ranchero GT - '73 Ford Ranchero GT

Spaz - '83 Chevy S10 4X4 Tahoe
90 day: 27.53 mpg (US)
Send a message via ICQ to justpassntime
I seriously don't think there is anything listed above that bans screens in windows. As already said they have them installed on large RVs (pass and drvs side) and conversion vans. Yes for a different purpose but they are still there nonetheless, even in California.

A window screen in no way obstructs view, but then it all depends on how it mounted on the vehicle.

Reply  Post New Thread