EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   30mpg stock 03 Avalon (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/30mpg-stock-03-avalon-37270.html)

rLipiner 02-15-2019 01:04 PM

30mpg stock 03 Avalon

When I was a teenager I used to beat the crap out of my car, to the point that I’m surprised my car and I are still alive. Fast forward a few years I’m in my 20s and I’m a little more conscious of my driving habits. Recently I stumbled across this website and was fascinated at the mods and driving techniques used for hypermiling. I figured I’d give it a whirl. For my baseline I’ve been getting between 18 and 24 mpg. After my first fill up I saw an imeadiate increase at 26.5 mpg. I was so exited by this drastic improvement I wanted to push it even farther. For the next tank I filled up my tires to 40psi instead of the normal 35. In addition the the hard tires I also used engine of coasting wherever it was safe to do so down hill, stoplights etc. I drove 296.7 and it only took 9.808 gallons to fill up the tank. Sitting at the gas station I quickly did the math and was astounded when I realized I just squeaked out 30.25 mpg out of my Avalon. Granted this was combined city and highway driving I didn’t believe it at first. I am very excited with these results and I think I may have found a new hobby.

mpg_numbers_guy 02-15-2019 01:47 PM

Decent economy for a stock Avalon!

Ecky 02-16-2019 09:16 AM

Those are incredibly comfortable and roomy cars, too. Probably the most comfortable car I've ever driven. Nice work!

I once averaged almost 40mpg in one over a tank, but I was descending from the Rocky Mountains toward the California coast. I don't think it counts if it's all downhill.

elhigh 02-16-2019 10:20 PM

Hey,
Those are damn good results in the totally-not-a-Lexus-on-the-sly Avalon. Seriously.

Let me recommend against engine off coasting, however. Automatic transmissions generally don't like it because of how the lubrication is driven; most autos, if the input shaft ain't turning, lube ain't flowing. You can get away with it for a short distance at low speeds, but EOC often goes beyond short and slow.

The big numbers are great but not at the expense of your tranny.

rLipiner 02-17-2019 01:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by elhigh (Post 591370)
Hey,
Those are damn good results in the totally-not-a-Lexus-on-the-sly Avalon. Seriously.

Let me recommend against engine off coasting, however. Automatic transmissions generally don't like it because of how the lubrication is driven; most autos, if the input shaft ain't turning, lube ain't flowing. You can get away with it for a short distance at low speeds, but EOC often goes beyond short and slow.

The big numbers are great but not at the expense of your tranny.

Good to know. I remember putting together an automatic tranny is shop class with all the clutch packs that had to be arranged in just the right order. I can imagine the excessive wear that would occur without proper lubrication. My next car will deff be a manual.

roosterk0031 02-17-2019 01:17 PM

Check you owners manual to see if they allow flat towing, if they do that's an indicated that the tranny lube pump is driven by the output shaft. A quick search says they aren't. Only 3 Toyota's auto listed are.

Is it possible to tow my Toyota with all four wheels on the ground?