EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   Is $50 for a bike trailer a good price? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/50-bike-trailer-good-price-29132.html)

Xist 06-01-2014 11:58 PM

Is $50 for a bike trailer a good price?

Another thread reminded me of this, so I did a search:

BABY TRAILER INSTEP
http://images.craigslist.org/00y0y_8...Ja_600x450.jpg

Let's see, gas is $3.45, and let's say that I get 40 MPG city, although the grocery store is two miles away.

$50 / $3.45 = 14.49 gallons * 40 MPG = 579.7 miles.
So, not counting the 26.2 miles each way to the person selling the trailer, I will break even once I get groceries 145 times! :D

If I use it once weekly, that would only require two years, nine months, 13.5 days!

However, that also saves wear-and-tear on my car, and since I do my own maintenance, that takes forever!

oil pan 4 06-02-2014 12:33 AM

Offer $40. I think I would pay $50 for that if I needed one.

Frank Lee 06-02-2014 02:11 AM

If you can bide your time, I see them free on Craigslist somewhat regularly.

MetroMPG 06-02-2014 06:36 AM

Don't forget to factor in the health benefits.

Though the exercise may make you hungrier, which will require you to spend more on groceries...

Do an ABA test!

backpacker3 06-02-2014 10:50 AM

I wouldn't pay 50 for that like frank said you can get them free all the time or find a bike in the garbage and make your own. Not that hard to do but that's just me and I like tinkering with stuff.

kir_kenix 06-02-2014 01:11 PM

I actually saw somebody towing a bike trailer like that with a Mazda Miata today on the interstate as I crossed into Iowa last night! It was bouncing all over the place and the plastic or mesh covering was deforming badly. I imagine the trailer did not survive the rest of the trip, but the driver exited onto I29 North while I frantically tried to get as many lanes away from them as possible.

Anywhoo...back on topic a bit. I wouldn't pay $50 for one unless I desperately needed on RIGHT NOW. I see them pretty regularly on yard/rummage sales for less than half what he is asking. I also imagine you could build a better/stronger (possibly lighter) unit for $50 that would be the exact dimensions that you needed. Plus you could make it waterproof, something that is handy because it always seems to rain when I get my bike out.

Xist 06-02-2014 04:29 PM

From what I have learned from this site, I would rather have a longer and narrower trailer.

backpacker3 06-02-2014 06:34 PM

Here are a few DIY trailers if you're interested. I don't know what tools or equipment you have but these are some I found

Simple No-Weld Bike Trailer

Park and Beach Bicycle Trailer

Biga, the bike trailer

Xist 06-04-2014 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by backpacker3 (Post 427690)
Here are a few DIY trailers if you're interested. I don't know what tools or equipment you have but these are some I found

Honestly, I like the no-weld trailer, but if I did manage to make it for less than the trailer that I posted, the time and energy involved would end up being much more. I set up RSS alerts through Opera, so hopefully, I will see anything that pops up.

I keep thinking that if I could find a cheap hand truck with busted wheels it would make a great base. The height with hand truck wheels would be ideal, especially for hauling our three five-gallon water jugs, but bike tires seem like they would work much better.

Then there is the entire issue of whether I could pull it faster and with less effort if I aero-modded it! :D

Back to de-powering my steering. Hopefully sleep does not interfere further.

vskid3 06-08-2014 10:16 AM

Something to consider is whether or not you'll actually use it. If you don't use it because its hotter than hell out, then its not a worthwhile investment. If I didn't have an ebike, there's no way I'd be biking to work when its 90F or higher.