EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Success Stories (https://ecomodder.com/forum/success-stories.html)
-   -   51+ in the city. (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/51-city-35343.html)

puddleglum 07-08-2017 01:51 AM

51+ in the city.

I honestly didn't think I would ever see this kind of mileage short tripping in the city. 51.13 mpg and a 528 mile tank. Adjusted mileage up a little after comparing odometer with GPS. This absolutely crushed my previous personal best. First tank this year consistently above freezing, the kill switch and lots of EOC made a huge difference. I found a different route home due to road construction which has helped also. Farther but fewer stops. This car loves the city. my one short excursion on the highway was one of my worst mileage days.

Stubby79 07-08-2017 03:11 PM

Nice work!

I almost bought an Echo a weekend or two past. I sat on the fence over the price of some things it needed (cat/middle pipe, windshield) and someone else snapped it up first. Oh well. I don't need another car.

daguldol 07-09-2017 09:11 AM

Congratulations! :) Great achievement.

Magician 07-10-2017 08:03 PM

In some cases it can be easier to get better MPG's in the city versus highway driving. Especially if you can keep your speed around 35-40 mph. I always get better fuel economy in the city with EOC and P&G.

redpoint5 07-10-2017 09:16 PM

I thought this thread would be about a Prius, but getting 50 MPG in a regular gasser is excellent.

I've found that I get about 3 MPG better in horrible gridlocked traffic in my Acura than steady cruising on the highway. Driving the average speed of traffic instead of bumper to bumper is what gets me such good MPG.

Ecky 07-11-2017 10:03 AM

Opposite is true for me. I find driving around Burlington, which is nothing but stop signs at the bottom of hills, I struggle to get 50mpg even using all of my tricks. The Insight has very tall gearing and the little 1L putters along at ~1700RPM on the highway, resulting in 100-110mpg at 50mph steady-state cruising.

Daox 07-12-2017 04:48 PM

Very nicely done. I'd sure like to try an Echo for a while. I was a big fan of the Tercel before it got replaced by the Echo, and the Echos seem to go for forever.

puddleglum 07-18-2017 12:00 AM

Thanks guys, I bought this car to try some serious hypermiling and it has certainly got me hooked. Hopefully I don't wreck it in the process, but I don't drive many miles and I think it should last for a while.

Daschicken 08-24-2017 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ecky (Post 544919)
Opposite is true for me. I find driving around Burlington, which is nothing but stop signs at the bottom of hills, I struggle to get 50mpg even using all of my tricks. The Insight has very tall gearing and the little 1L putters along at ~1700RPM on the highway, resulting in 100-110mpg at 50mph steady-state cruising.

Same, but I still manage to get around 30 mpg on city based trips in a car rated for 18 city. Friggin' hilly Georgia. Tall gearing, lots of weight, and decent aero drag lets my car excel on the highway.

RoadTripRob 11-22-2017 05:32 PM

Thats really good.

I dont want to trivialize your results but I get 49mpg (canadian)winter driving, short city trips, up and down steep hills, not eco driving.

0.8L turbo diesel smart car. If i drive it gently I easily get 65mpg. Its rated at just over 73mpg stock. They are hard to get in the us but it can be done.I will drive slowly on my next road trip and see if i can get over 80mpg