EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   55 MPG on a 41 year old bike (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/55-mpg-41-year-old-bike-22133.html)

user removed 06-03-2012 03:57 PM

55 MPG on a 41 year old bike

4 Attachment(s)
68.4 miles on 1.25 gallons of fuel on a bike that was built when I was 20 years old. I don't keep a fuel log on the 1971 CB 350 since it has only covered 900 miles in 14 months. Antique tags mean limited riding, no tag renewal, no taxes, just annual insurance at under $100 a year. $750 total money spent on the bike.

regards
Mech

TX_Dj 06-03-2012 09:18 PM

Love those old CB's, they were such great bikes and yours is a real beaut! I don't think I've seen one that clean in decades.

GRU 06-03-2012 09:22 PM

really nice looking bike. looks like it just rolled of the assembly line.

user removed 06-03-2012 09:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I have the original Texas title and the bill of sale. The bike sat in the same garage listed as his residence in the original bill of sale, since the sale date. The Texas title was because he was in the Air Force and had a Texas residence. He probably bought the bike when he came back from Viet Nam. Passed two years ago from non hodgkins lymphnoma, possible from agent orange exposure. Never painted, actual mileage, replaced the tires, fuel hoses, rebuilt the carbs, new petcock, and cleaned the gas tank with mineral spirits and granite gravel. Still has original chain, air filters, points, condenser, coils. I don't think it has ever had a light bulb replaced.

regards
Mech

ecomodded 06-03-2012 11:02 PM

Sure is pretty love the paint,very indicative of the era.
I can't help but to say it would be great in a motor museum.
They had such a great basic style back then,with a relaxed yet sporty rider position.

RobbMeeX 06-11-2012 09:18 PM

HOW? My cl gets 45! Do you drive it easy?

user removed 06-12-2012 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RobbMeeX (Post 311860)
HOW? My cl gets 45! Do you drive it easy?

Fairly sure the final ratio is higher on the CL since it was on-off road capable. The CB runs about 1K RPM per 10 MPH in top gear. I drive conservatively, shift at below 6 k RPM, get into highest gear quickly, and average 45 MPH most of the time, while avoiding routes with frequent stops. I do not ride this bike to work in traffic, always an easy ride on a fairly low traffic volume route.

regards
mech

skyking 06-12-2012 09:05 AM

Thanks for posting, and I agree it is a museum piece. Beauty!
I rode a 450 that was all hacked up with ape bars on it, many years ago. Glad I did not buy it, It was a travesty.

RobbMeeX 06-12-2012 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Old Mechanic (Post 311963)
Fairly sure the final ratio is higher on the CL since it was on-off road capable. The CB runs about 1K RPM per 10 MPH in top gear. I drive conservatively, shift at below 6 k RPM, get into highest gear quickly, and average 45 MPH most of the time, while avoiding routes with frequent stops. I do not ride this bike to work in traffic, always an easy ride on a fairly low traffic volume route.

regards
mech

I have regeared to make it more interstate "friendly" but I am also running 65 most the time as well as not really taking it easy when I do take it out, so that makes sense. Someone hacked off the tips of the exhaust so that may factor in somewhere too.
Smooth rides to ya. That thing looks pretty!:thumbup:

Grant-53 06-14-2012 12:28 PM

Very nice looking machine. There is a CB 350 in the Glenn Curtiss Museum in Hammonsport, NY. Curtiss built bicycles and motorcycles before becoming an aviation pioneer.