EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   61) Parking tactics: orbit to bleed momentum (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/61-parking-tactics-orbit-bleed-momentum-4478.html)

KJSatz 08-11-2008 02:56 PM

61) Parking tactics: orbit to bleed momentum

Quote:

Originally Posted by 100+ hypermiling/ecodriving tips
61) Parking tactics: orbit to bleed momentum

If you find you have too much momentum after reaching your preferred parking spot, continue coasting further down the row or "orbiting" a spot until you can roll to a stop in position without touching the brakes.

(The extent to which you might continue 'orbiting' depends on whether your engine is on/off and whether you're driving a manual or automatic. Also, it depends on traffic in the lot, obviously.)

I don't understand this tip. I think it would be better to just use the brakes--or use less gas in the previous pulse. Is the only reason to do this to artificially increase your MPG by keeping the odometer rolling? It doesn't seem like it would actually decrease fuel usage (equal usage with EOC, greater usage if idling in neutral). Or maybe it's all going over my head?

azraelswrd 08-11-2008 03:30 PM

As long as the engine is on, that's gas going up in smoke (which is why I prefer to find a slot and park ASAP). But if you're in an EOC, then the only thing you're using is time and what momentum you have left. By bleeding off the momentum you take off the inevitable work the brakes will have to do eventually when you do finally park.

There is also the risk of losing the spot you wanted originally to a vulture... this tip is just one of those "use at your discretion" types.

PaleMelanesian 08-11-2008 04:07 PM

I do a modified version of this when I come to work. I EOC into the lot and up (face-in) to the highest parking spot. Then I roll backwards out and around and swing in reverse to my spot about 6 places down the row. Face-out and potential parked, and no fuel burned reversing into the spot.

SVOboy 08-11-2008 04:15 PM

Driving in circles to get inflated MPG numbers is basically all it is...I mean, it works to get better numbers...to save gas, no. I think it's stupid, to be honest, and that when you get to that point of caring about MPG you might as well go push your car around the block, :p

KJSatz 08-11-2008 04:21 PM

That's a cool technique, Pale! SVO, that pretty much confirms what I was thinking as far as orbiting goes.

SVOboy 08-11-2008 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 52615)
I do a modified version of this when I come to work. I EOC into the lot and up (face-in) to the highest parking spot. Then I roll backwards out and around and swing in reverse to my spot about 6 places down the row. Face-out and potential parked, and no fuel burned reversing into the spot.

Missed this post...sounds pretty neat. If I had a daily commute I'd have to figure something like that out. :thumbup:

greenitup 08-11-2008 05:34 PM

that is a dumb idea, my idea is to reduce the amount of gas i use. I would rather take a drive that uses less fuel than one that gets a better mpg but more fuel.

Noel 08-11-2008 09:45 PM

DING DING DING

I have a 37 mile each way commute, 30 of that is highway on the in route, 25 on the way home. (have to take different routes because of traffic)

Leaving my house, that 7 miles is stop/go, lots of lights.

I have a route that is 8 miles longer each way, but nice rolling hills that I could take...... but what would be the point, lower mileage, but less miles... it takes a LOT higher mileage to make an extra 16 miles per day worth it.

I quest for high MPG, but the ultimate quest, is lowest price per commute.

Quote:

Originally Posted by greenitup (Post 52629)
that is a dumb idea, my idea is to reduce the amount of gas i use. I would rather take a drive that uses less fuel than one that gets a better mpg but more fuel.

azraelswrd 08-11-2008 11:09 PM

To me, its only useful if you can EOC, so as not to use gas. Otherwise... I just park (face out) and walk. Most lots I use have no barriers so I can just drive through them and be where I need to be quick.

Will 08-12-2008 12:25 AM

I can hit 55mpg or better on the interstate if I want to, but it adds 13 miles to my commute. This is why I take the shorter way to work, but with the many hills and lights get less MPG. I think that the end goal in all of this is to reduce our gas consumption, and not just put up big mpg numbers!!

The counter point to that is I know there are some people here that are mostly interested in putting up the big numbers, and are not really that worried about gas consumption. I say if big MPG numbers is someone's hobby more power to them.!!!

Gregte 08-12-2008 08:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Will (Post 52697)
The counter point to that is I know there are some people here that are mostly interested in putting up the big numbers, and are not really that worried about gas consumption. I say if big MPG numbers is someone's hobby more power to them.!!!

More power to them but at the expense of the planet. :)

I think that ideally we should all be trying to burn less fuel, not roll up big MPG numbers to show off.

wagonman76 08-12-2008 08:12 AM

Thanks for clearing this up, I had been wondering about this tip myself. I wouldnt bother even with the engine off since Id rather just park and go. And if I did try circling the lot, Id be more likely than not to end up stopping anyway for someone backing out, someone walking in front of me, etc... in which case Id need to use more gas to get into a spot.

And Im for saving fuel as well by using what Ive got, not getting the numbers up just for show. If I wanted to do that, Id go drive downstate and back every day. Or heck, put the car up on jackstands and drive with basically no load and wind resistance. Same here too, I can go a different way to work that gets a tad better mpg, but is 20% longer so its not worth it unless Ive gotta go that way anyway.

TrikeKid 08-13-2008 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaleMelanesian (Post 52615)

I do similar parking here at the house, I drive straight in behind one of my dad's antique rigs which is on a hill, next to the driveway, nose up close to it and park. This way, when I leave, all I have to do is pop it back out of gear and release the brake, cut the wheel hard left so I swing back up the hill then coast down the 100-150 feet without ever starting the truck. Before I started actually thinking about it, I would start the truck before I got moving at all (which I'll admit, does make steering those 33's MUCH easier), roll half the driveway, and let it sit there and high idle while I opened the upper gate. Then I'd roll through the gate (still high idle), stop again and close that gate, go open the lower gate, roll out into the turn around, close the lower gate, then I'd finally actually get going somewhere. Yeah, it doesn't mean anything real world mpg wise, but does mean something to the wallet, and that's why I'm trying to get better fuel economy to begin with.