EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Fossil Fuel Free (https://ecomodder.com/forum/fossil-fuel-free.html)
-   -   68 Mustang - Estimate (EV conversion ) (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/68-mustang-estimate-ev-conversion-27747.html)

cariacou 12-12-2013 05:03 PM

68 Mustang - Estimate (EV conversion )

Hello,

I have been reading about other's projects on the forum for a little while and finally decided to consider my project seriously.

I have found a cheap 68 Mustang, with body and interior in decent condition.

My goal would be to turn it into a commuter - $ saving car.

Requirements:
-good $/mile
-50-70 mile range on the batteries
-85mph top speed (70% of my commute will be at 75mph)

I am an engineer, have time on my hands, and will be renting a garage for the time of the project.

are these requirements possible ? most cars I saw around here were 50mph top speed.

what kind of prices am I looking at ?
I will obviously be doing most of the work myself. the only part I thought about paying a proffessional for it was linking the motor to the transmission.

thanks for any advice :)

slownugly 12-12-2013 05:12 PM

there was a mid 60s mustang floating around on here that was a hybrid with the original 6 cylinder and electric motor. i think it was getting in the 30s?? ive got a thread for my 68 rambler i am hoping for low 30s on that without electric.

sorry im not really much of help with the electric haha but welcome to the forum and good luck with the project. i like seeing some vintage stuff on here.

wheelbender6 12-12-2013 06:09 PM

The Stang sounds like a fun e-project. If the engine is still good, I would consider keeping it and adding electric assist like the one in slownugly's reply.
-Your range goals may be achievable if you consider some weight saving compromises for the car but I don't know about that speed.
-I want to follow your project because I would love to have an e-powered 66 Mustang. Love the instrument layout in the 66's. The 65 had a Falcon speedo. Hmmm. A Falcon wagon or Ranchero would have plenty of battery space...

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 12-12-2013 06:14 PM

Personally I'd rather slap an old Mercedes-Benz Diesel into and call it a day, but I'm sure you may find some helpful tips. You could start checking that thread about a BMW 5-series converted into an EV.

mcrews 12-12-2013 06:22 PM

Basic mod:
Straight 6 w/ 3 one bbls progressive linkage.
Overdrive auto tranny
Highway rear end
F70 size tire
I got 27mpg all day with the original cruis-o-matic 3 speed auto.

The above could do 32+ at 60mph (maybe 65)

Rad mod....what rooster said!!!!!!

Ther is a mustang straight six website.

Superfuelgero 12-12-2013 07:00 PM

there's a site out there of a guy with a blue 66 that has been converted. it had some relatively detailed information on it. Sorry, don't have the direct build link for you, but google should provide. here is a stub though http://www.evalbum.com/733 Price fluctuates too much depending on deals, and details.

Beau 12-12-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 402813)
Basic mod:
Straight 6 w/ 3 one bbls progressive linkage.
Overdrive auto tranny
Highway rear end
F70 size tire
I got 27mpg all day with the original cruis-o-matic 3 speed auto.

The above could do 32+ at 60mph (maybe 65)

Rad mod....what rooster said!!!!!!

Ther is a mustang straight six website.

I almost agree. Were it me, I would (1) modify the head to accept a direct mount, small venturi progressive 2 barrell (alternatively, you could use a 2 to 1 adapter), (2) recurve the distributor after upgrading it to one of the electronic distributors, (3) manual T-5 transmission, and (4) re-gear rear end accordingly.

With the 200, the selection of auto-overdrive transmissions may not be great, that is why I suggest the widely available T-5.

I would very strongly recommend you go to the following website: FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • Index page

The people there are awesome.

CFECO 12-12-2013 09:28 PM

Right off, at this time of the day, how about the "Standard Electric Drive Kit", with a small high compression engine on propane, ( so it easily handles the high compression), say a Yamaha or Honda 4-stroke motocrosser, about 50 HP. Light weight 5 speed transmission built in. Chain drive to factory trans, or rear gearing to match torque curve. Did I say LIGHT WEIGHT. Get one from a quad and have reverse without the heavy factory manual trans, clutch, drive shaft, get rid of the 9" rear and put a Pinto rear in it. Less weight=more range and more GO.
Just Sayn...

MetroMPG 12-13-2013 02:30 PM

He's actually asking about an EV conversion, guys...

Quote:

Originally Posted by cariacou (Post 402788)
My goal would be to turn it into a commuter - $ saving car.

Requirements:
-good $/mile
-50-70 mile range on the batteries
-85mph top speed (70% of my commute will be at 75mph)

Allow me to be the bearer of bad news: You can't make a money-saving electric vehicle with those characteristics.

Build it for fun, by all means! Take on the project as an interesting hobby, sure! But abandon the idea that such a project will save you money.

If fiscal prudence is your goal, you're better off finding a $2500, 4-cylinder beater with a manual transmission and aeromodding it to max out highway economy. You'll be many, many thousands ahead of any EV conversion in terms of cost/mile!

My $1000 EV hasn't saved me a penny. It's just another set of expenses. :) (Yes, also an entertaining set of expenses which I prefer to drive whenever I have the choice.)

mcrews 12-13-2013 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 402901)
he's asking about EV........
. :)

I know :o

But this is my secret dream build.. :D....I have a file folder that is 25 yrs old on modding a mustang

I was planning on living 'vicariously'!!!!!:D

Superfuelgero 12-13-2013 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Beau (Post 402826)
I almost agree. Were it me, I would (1) modify the head to accept a direct mount, small venturi progressive 2 barrell (alternatively, you could use a 2 to 1 adapter), (2) recurve the distributor after upgrading it to one of the electronic distributors, (3) manual T-5 transmission, and (4) re-gear rear end accordingly.

With the 200, the selection of auto-overdrive transmissions may not be great, that is why I suggest the widely available T-5.

I would very strongly recommend you go to the following website: FORDSIX PERFORMANCE • Index page

The people there are awesome.

I could break 20 with my old 65 (200, auto, port divider, breakerless, pony carb). The biggest thing for it was drafting since the aero was so bad.

I was looking at a 66. I had lined up the full running gear from a mazda diesel truck (5 speed / perkins base). The deal on the shell fell through, and I ended up with a vx instead.

Ryland 12-14-2013 12:27 AM

No one buys a popular classic car with the idea of saving money!

If you are going to build this as an EV and you want 50-70 mile range then you need lithium batteries.
tough part is do you want a single, fixed gear, manual transmission or an automatic.

I'm pretty sure there is someone out there who makes an adapter for pretty much any popular motor to fit a Ford transmission, so you can build this whole car with off the shelf parts, you will have to weld some motor mounts an battery boxes, that is about it, the rest of the parts you can buy then bolt together.
The hard part is that you want to fit these parts to a 45 year old car.

Beau 12-14-2013 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by xntrx (Post 402918)
I could break 20 with my old 65 (200, auto, port divider, breakerless, pony carb). The biggest thing for it was drafting since the aero was so bad.

I was looking at a 66. I had lined up the full running gear from a mazda diesel truck (5 speed / perkins base). The deal on the shell fell through, and I ended up with a vx instead.

A small diesel Mustang would have been awesome.

I have this ridiculous dream of putting a Duramax into an early 1960s Caddy.

Ryland 12-14-2013 08:50 PM

electric car conversion motor to transmission adapter plate coupler

They have adapter plates with couplings for Ford Mustang transmissions so you can bolt an off the shelf motor right on.

mustang - Google Search

Is a list of electric mustangs on EValbum.com, looks like 350 to 375 watt hours per mile is what some people are getting, so size your battery pack with that in mind.

slownugly 12-15-2013 01:33 PM

T5 is the way to go. Use the low end torque of that 6 to your advantage. That's what I'm doing. I've got a custom ground isky cam that comes on very low in the rpm range. With my overdrive and 3.08 rear I should be about 17-1800 rpms at 70. The torque will pull me down the road with ease with very light throttle usage.

JRMichler 12-15-2013 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ryland (Post 403019)

Is a list of electric mustangs on EValbum.com, looks like 350 to 375 watt hours per mile is what some people are getting, so size your battery pack with that in mind.

He wants to cruise at 75 MPH. I suggest 500 to 600 watt-hours per mile unless he makes serious aero mods.

Daox 12-16-2013 03:56 PM

Yeah, its totally doable. But, Darin is right, its not going to save you money. JRMichler is also right, the battery back is going to need to be pretty massive due to the aerodynamics of the car and the high cruising speed you're looking at.

mcrews 12-16-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daox (Post 403190)
Yeah, its totally doable. But, Darin is right, its not going to save you money. JRMichler is also right, the battery back is going to need to be pretty massive due to the aerodynamics of the car and the high cruising speed you're looking at.

What about this?????????

http://i678.photobucket.com/albums/v...ng_page001.jpg

Superfuelgero 12-16-2013 06:10 PM

Fiberfab. As far as I know, no one reproduces them.

elhigh 12-17-2013 06:56 PM

This rig kind of invites the Volt series hybrid design.

Small diesel powered generator under the hood where the old engine used to live. Modest array of batteries filling up the rest of the engine bay and perhaps a few in the trunk. Where the transmission used to live, a single- or two-speed box stepping down the high-rev output of a handsome, torquey AC motor.

The go pedal doesn't talk to the engine at all. Only the voltmeter on the battery pack talks to the engine, revving up and loading the alternator as necessary. The go pedal only controls the variable frequency AC motor controller. Program in some modest limits and you'll have a few miles of no-engine electric-only cruising, hit the highway and ramp up the amps and the engine kicks in to keep the batteries hot and provide extra juice to the motor. Bob's your uncle and off you go.

Cd 12-18-2013 02:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 403203)

That car looks like an early model Z car. It no longer looks like a Mustang.

A simple grille block should do just fine. Remember this car ? : http://www.google.com/search?q=hot+r...F%3B1500%3B938

POINT TWENTY Cd tested in a wind tunnel.

So is this car a fastback car ? I love the look of fastback cars of this era.

mcrews 12-18-2013 02:03 PM

Yeah it was a fast back 66

Cd 12-18-2013 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mcrews (Post 403457)
Yeah it was a fast back 66

Actually, I meant to say the '68 that the project is planned for.

I love the look of the '68 fastback. The curve is even better than the '66 and closer to 'ideal'.

mcrews 12-18-2013 06:06 PM

I hd a 66 coupe so I am a little biased.
But the 67-68 fastbacks have really grown on me over the years....

CFECO 12-18-2013 06:10 PM

Evidently my first idea didn't float far, but is was after a fine dinner with "enough" good wine!
I do like the partial Hybrid idea using a small ICE, small diesel, or even a high compression Pinto 2000 motor although that would probably move the Mustang well enough on its own, with the right gearing. Best to just get rid of the large engine, trans and even put a lighter axle in it for the electric drive.