EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   70 MPH electric cycle $8,000 (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/70-mph-electric-cycle-8-000-a-6491.html)

Cd 12-20-2008 08:15 PM

70 MPH electric cycle $8,000

> 8,000 dollars.
> 70 MPH
> 35/60 mile range
> 1.5 hr. quick charge
> Doesn't look stupid

Electric Motorsport :: Electric GPR

Besides the really high price, the things that I see wrong with it would be that it has a Briggs and Straton motor, and only a one year warranty, a battery that is not as e-friendly as it's competition ( the slower off road 'zero motorcycle' ) and ... it doesn't have air conditioning, stereo, GPS,iPod hookups, or cup holder warmers.

( I'm afraid the lack of cup holder warmers on this thing will surely doom it to failure )

NachtRitter 12-20-2008 08:45 PM

Very cool! Located relatively close to where I live too. May have to go over & do a test ride... :)

trikkonceptz 12-21-2008 12:31 PM

It's a great idea and look good too. However, I fear for bikers now in traffic because no one sees or hears them coming.

This is just silent death for the city commuter.

MetroMPG 12-21-2008 12:57 PM

Oh, no you don't! Let's NOT re-ignite the "loud pipes save lives" debate! Please.

trikkonceptz 12-21-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MetroMPG (Post 79655)
Oh, no you don't! Let's NOT re-ignite the "loud pipes save lives" debate! Please.

haha .. no I wasn't heading there, I was simply stating that bikes are not respected on the roads currently, partly because of the idiot riders, now multiply that effect with a silent bike and we'll see how long before you have to have a bell on the handle bars .. lol

bennelson 12-21-2008 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 79564)
Besides the really high price, the things that I see wrong with it would be that it has a Briggs and Straton motor

Have you heard any negative things yet on the Etek-R?
I have only heard good things about it so far.

The original Etek was used on lots of motorcycles, including mine. The new one has better specs than the originals did.

NachtRitter 12-21-2008 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trikkonceptz (Post 79661)
... we'll see how long before you have to have a bell on the handle bars .. lol

Horn oughta work with an electric 'bike...

bennelson 12-21-2008 10:22 PM

The horn on my electric motorcycle works fine.

I have thought about adding a bell to it as well, because getting a bell rung at you just seems much friendlier than being honked at!

I like when I am out walking that fast-moving bicyclists will ring their bell to let me know they are passing.

Noise (or much less of it) isn't a problem with electrics, other than in a parking lot where there are problems with visibility and people don't expect you to be moving yet.

The Atomic Ass 12-22-2008 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cd (Post 79564)
> 8,000 dollars.
> 70 MPH
> 35/60 mile range
> 1.5 hr. quick charge
> Doesn't look stupid

For $8K, I think I would much rather have the EVC Metro. Double the battery capacity for the same price, higher top speed, farther range, etc...

MazdaMatt 12-22-2008 01:30 PM

Very cool i.m.o.

Biggest selling features - it goes far enough for me without looking like I welded together a bunch of trash.

naturalextraction 03-06-2009 12:46 AM

not so bad

Where I live, here in New Mexico, we have a lot of motorcycles. I'm quite the enthusiast and frankly, here anyway, most drivers are quite courteous. I try to be a really good example to automobile drivers and do my part as a courteous driver anyway. I'm happier still to finally see more electric cycles getting on the road. We're building one that is designed for speeds over 100mph. Living here a 45 or 60 mile range is not really all that practical. It's 20 miles to town from where I live. Even living in Abq. you can burn up 45 miles real fast. Most that I've seen have been scooters around the university. With battery technology getting so much better, a couple I've seen have a 75mile range and a decent speed of 60mph. There are some amazingly well built home electrics that look great and have decent speed and range. Having a quick charge time is a big benefit for anyone. I carry a camera with me more now to try and get pictures of some of the ones I've seen. A lot more electric cars too. I do like the one from the link posted in this thread. First really nice looking commercial one I've seen in a while!

vinny1989 03-06-2009 04:02 PM

Sweet. Now, deliver to the UK at proper conversion rates.. £5,683 and it would sell faster than they could make them!

(Looks good, is better for environment, Perfect bike for people riding into London everyday, and free road tax to boot)