EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   89 metro lsi AC removal? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/89-metro-lsi-ac-removal-9687.html)

SirKeats 08-16-2009 10:27 PM

89 metro lsi AC removal?

i picked up an 89 metro lsi today for 700 bucks. runs good. i'm happy with it for what it is. only needs to run 18 months for the wifes commute to nursing school and back!!

anyway, i have been commuting in an 89 xfi myself for over a year now so i know the vehicles a bit... however, this LSI came with a non-functioning AC unit. the guy says it has a leak or something. no matter to me though, i wanna pull the unit out alltogether but in reading the chiltons its telling me to take it in to have the thing bled our before messing with it.

just wondered if this was actually necessary or if i could do it myself? also wondering if it's just as simple as following the directions for removal in the book? can i just yank the thing out and run the car without any further modification?

thanks for the info!!

SVOboy 08-16-2009 10:30 PM

I would have a shop drain it first, the junk in there ain't good for the environment.

SirKeats 08-16-2009 10:41 PM

thanks.

any idea on what they'll stick me for something like that?

also... as to the second part of the question; okay (once it's drained) to just pull the entire unit and drive the car without it (without having to do any further mods)?

NiHaoMike 08-16-2009 11:10 PM

Put a gauge on it. If there's no pressure, go ahead and take it apart.

SirKeats 08-17-2009 10:13 AM

can anyone confirm that it's okay to simply remove all the AC components and drive the vehicle without further modification?

dcb 08-17-2009 10:26 AM

You gonna have to look at it, two concerns:

1. If no/very low, pressure in the ac system then it is fine to disconnect the hoses (use a tire gauge on an ac fitting that looks like you can put a tire gauge on it), otherwise the responsible thing to do would be to have a shop collect the freon type stuff in the ac plumbing lines.

2. If you take off the compressor, will there still be a belt driving your other accessories? You probably need a belt going to the Alternator and the water pump for driving of any duration, the rest are sorta optional.

doviatt 08-17-2009 10:57 AM

I have a 89 metro that had AC. I haven't removed the components yet but I did remove the belt recently and noticed a difference. The only other advantage to removing the components is weight. I will do this when I have time but just getting the belt of was priority. If it has been non-functional for a while the system will be empty. You should test the pressure as stated above. or have a shop make sure it is empty. Haggle for free or 20-30 bucks. They just hook it up and pump it out. No labor to speak of. Once the belt is off no part of the system works. So yeah you can just remove everything with out any concern to the car operation.