EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Introductions (https://ecomodder.com/forum/introductions.html)
-   -   '93 Civic 40.6 mpg + Harbor Freight utility trailer, Honda CL125, Honda CH80 scoot (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/93-civic-40-6-mpg-harbor-freight-utility-10142.html)

begreen 09-12-2009 07:10 AM

'93 Civic 40.6 mpg + Harbor Freight utility trailer, Honda CL125, Honda CH80 scoot

Hi, Live in CT. Owned the Civic almost 2 years. Avg 40.68 mpg over the last 28,250 miles since I've owned it (132k total). It's a Civic LX 4 door 1.5 with a 5 speed. Very economical car. (max was 52.46) Besides that I have an '04 Silverado 4x4 4.8L V8 and a '98 Chevy Astro.

Only sticking point with the Civic is that it can be hard to start on a hot day - but it always eventually starts. Sometimes I have to sit patiently for a minute or two and wait before I try it again. I've heard it is possibly a module but I put it off due to the cost of the trial and error. I am not that mechanically knowledgable. Anyway the car has been good to me. It got me through that time when gas was $4+ a gallon with my Silverado. I even put a hitch on the Civic and use it to haul a little utility trailer (kit from Harbor Freight) to do dump runs.

I also have a 1973 Honda CL125 and a 1987 Honda Elite CH80 scooter plus a 1988 Derbi Variant moped - none of which is currently being used.

I've got a GM credit card with $3.9k in rebates saved up. I've seen new '09 Aveos advertised for $9999 and that would be ~$6.1k for me for a new Aveo. At that price it's got me thinking... Also I've heard they have changed the 5th gear in the 2010 models so I'm not sure what I'll do in the next year. We'll see.

Great forum!

marc

begreen 02-02-2010 11:13 AM

Update: Sold 1993 Honda Civic. Bought new 2009 Aveo LS Sedan 5 speed. Got a fantastic deal plus was able to use up the GM Card rebate earnings so it became a no-brainer. I'm going to miss the awesome mileage of the Civic vs the Aveo but there are aspects to having a brand new car that are very appealing. Presently there's about 240 miles it. I'm guessing I'll be in the very low thirties for MPG while it is broken in. I'm guessing I'll be in the mid thirties thereafter until I can figure out how to wring it out a bit. If I could get close to 40 again I'd be happy. I know the gearing is low but that's the price I had to pay to move up 16 years for very low bucks brand new with a full warranty.

The Aveo has 14" wheels (185 / 60 / 14's). I'm wondering what size (80 series?) I could go up to and keep the 14" wheels to offset the short gearing. The wheelwells seem to have enough space to allow for a bit of a taller tire. I wonder if there's a tire website that shows how big a tire circumfrence I could go to.

Also thinking about a scanguage. Wondering what's involved in the install? Hmmm...

I have to say the Aveo is a very nice car to drive. I love the tall, firm seats. In fact the drivers seat is height adjustable plus it has lumbar support. The Onstar Safe and security and built in phone is cool too. In fact the Aveo even has it's own phone number which will be great here in woodsy hilly CT where I often have no cell signal. My understanding is that the Onstar phone uses the satellite signal so it doesn't rely on an oft unavailable cell signal here.

It's fun driving it. That new car smell and feeling is very nice. Paint is beautifully shiny. Interior is of course perfectly clean! To some it may not be much but to me it's a real pleasure to have.

Any suggestions on break-in or photos - it's been so long since I've had a brand new car. So far I've just been driving it easy - as I always would. I did save the window sticker.

Still have the Astro & Silverado.

marc

Daox 02-02-2010 11:18 AM

I'm sure we'd love to see pics of it.

A scangauge is incredibly easy to 'install' since all you do is plug it into the OBDII port and mount it where ever you want. :)

Good luck with the Aveo.

begreen 02-04-2010 08:54 AM

New 2009 Aveo LS sedan 5 speed. 33 mpg for very first 316 miles

Filled up for the first time from picking up the new '09 Aveo on Jan 31st. Total was 316 miles. 1st tank = 33 mpg. This is -my- first fill-up since the actual first filll-up was included in the purchase of the car and provided by the Chevy dealer. Air pressure from dealer was 28 psi per factory specs. After filling it with 87 octane gas I bumped up the tire pressure.

The car is very comfortable to drive and it handles well - although as you may suspect - I haven't pushed it much. Everything is so clean and shiny. Even the carpeting! The factory paint name is Victory Red. To me it is what I'd call fire engine red. The dealer had 1 red one and another dealer had a black one. I didn't want black due to the heat in the summer. I wasn't crazy about having a red one but I have to say - it's so shiny I really it now. It has a little chrome and black and I think it's actually quite nice - especially when I compare it to the faded 17 year old civic that it replaces. It's got tons of warranty coverage too - see this:

- 100,000 timing belt replacement interval --- yes 100k - right in the manual!
- 3 year / 36,000 complete vehicle warranty, including towing & tires
- 5 year / 100,000 transferable powertrain warranty
- 5 year / 100,000 24/7 Roadside Assistance + Courtsey Transportation
- 6 year / 100,000 rust-through corrosion
- 1 year OnStar safe and sound plan
- car has it's own phone number and for $5/mo has 30 minutes a month of talk time. Works well. It mutes the radio and the radio becomes the phone when a call comes in. I don't need it but it works well and for $5 a month - it's just plain neat for now.

What a nice car.

marc

Christ 02-04-2010 10:45 AM

So... I'm thinking. You say you have a CH80 Scoot that you're not using, eh?

Maybe you're interested in selling? Maybe you have pics of it?

begreen 02-08-2010 09:30 AM

for now the ch80 is a keeper. maybe someday we'll get rid of it but not now. thanks anyway. marc

Jyden 02-08-2010 10:00 AM

Congrats on the new car. Are you going to keep a fuel log here?

Also - do you have some pics?

MetroMPG 02-08-2010 11:15 AM

Did you swap the trailer hitch over?

Seems like a utility trailer + small vehicle would be a viable alternative for pickup trucks for many people. (Alas, fuel is still too cheap!)

alohaspirit 02-08-2010 11:37 AM

im happy youre happy with your new ride

the phone option is a nifty little feature

go to the garage up top and set up your car and gas log!

post pics too

and despite what MetroMPG said... gas is NEVER too cheap hah :p

begreen 02-10-2010 09:25 PM

About the 1993 Honda Civic LX: The U-Haul hitch was removed before the car was sold as well as the wiring harness. I used to tow a small (40" x 49", 8" wheels) 870 lb capacity assemble-it-yourself utility trailer from Harbor Freight for dump runs and occasional Boy Scout outing use. The Honda Civic could handle it effortlessly. It only weighed 131 lbs from the factory. Plus I added a waferboard base and ferring strip side rails. Combined with the tie downs it probably totalled out at 170 or so lbs. Piece of cake. The trailer handled 4 full size trash cans with ease and still got got amazing gas mileage. Nice combo for the occasional Saturday dump runs. For extra duty you could buy a 4' x 8' version of this trailer. Not needed for me but for Home Depot runs it would be better to have an 8' trailer (272 lbs + decking + rails).

Re: Aveo: I will miss the mpg of the Civic but it is new and the Honda was starting to rot so if I can tweak the Aveo it'll work out ok. I plan to get a Scanguage II, add a hitch, someday get taller tires and maybe some other stuff. I will post pics at some point and will keep a fuel log.

Thanks for the comments. I have to say the car is very comfortable. Seats are tall and firm.

begreen 03-08-2010 11:41 PM

comfortable. great steering. great brakes.

best deal yet.

MetroMPG 03-09-2010 09:44 AM

Glad you're enjoying it.

And the fuel economy will improve as it breaks in (from what I've read).

begreen 03-12-2010 12:23 AM

comfortable. getting peppier. now it has about 2.7k miles. absolutely great for bringing my little sweetie to dance, the boys to scouts and errand running.

4862forestgrove 08-29-2013 06:37 AM

I pull a HF trailer with my Prius at about 45 MPG