EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   The Lounge (https://ecomodder.com/forum/lounge.html)
-   -   '93 Honda Civic DX Coupe -- Good Project Car? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/93-honda-civic-dx-coupe-good-project-car-1607.html)

RH77 03-30-2008 11:34 PM

'93 Honda Civic DX Coupe -- Good Project Car?

I may have the opportunity to buy a '93 Civic DX Coupe 5-speed with 140K miles from the original owner. Full records, a little rust, runs great and efficient.

What's the most you'd pay for it, and would it be a good project car?

RH77

AndrewJ 03-30-2008 11:55 PM

Where's the rust?

I'd pay $1500 for it. :D probably more if the rust wasn't too significant and/or in an easily reparable spot. Though it's probably in the rear quarter panel :(

I think a coupe would make a great project car, as they have pretty nice shape (aerodynamically speaking) compared to the hatchback. That, and all the VX/CX stuff should swap right in for a killer highway machine.

RH77 03-31-2008 01:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 17054)
Where's the rust?

I'd pay $1500 for it. :D probably more if the rust wasn't too significant and/or in an easily reparable spot. Though it's probably in the rear quarter panel :(

Rear Quarters. Yup.

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 17054)
I think a coupe would make a great project car, as they have pretty nice shape (aerodynamically speaking) compared to the hatchback. That, and all the VX/CX stuff should swap right in for a killer highway machine.

I miss my Civic coupes -- '96 DX 5-Speed, zero options (OK, tape deck) and a '99 Si (man I miss that car -- I could probably get the same mileage now if I kept my foot out of VTEC). Plus the fold down seats and cargo capacity -- not as good as a hatch, tho.

But the low mileage and one-owner is perfect. Interior = good shape, mechanicals = great, and early 90's simplicity.

So they called today and asked if a '91 Merc 420SEL was a reliable replacement. Despite my deviant thoughts to get them to unload the Honda, I couldn't do it. We know the parts would eat them alive. We'll see what develops.

RH77

SVOboy 03-31-2008 02:51 AM

Doo eet!

AndrewJ 04-01-2008 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 17067)
Rear Quarters. Yup.

Yuck. Rust in the rear quarters sucks.

Then again, I hate bodywork. My idea of bodywork is buying a new hood/trunk/front fender/door and bolting it on.

RH77 04-01-2008 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AndrewJ (Post 17397)
Yuck. Rust in the rear quarters sucks.

Then again, I hate bodywork. My idea of bodywork is buying a new hood/trunk/front fender/door and bolting it on.

Having virtually no body work experience, "bolt-on" sounds good. Then there's paint and all that...

But should that pull the value down a bit?

I need to find out if they're getting rid of it.

But I don't want to act too excited to buy it -- it's like getting the phone number in the movie "Swingers":

Quote:

So how long do I wait to call?
Trent: A day.
Mike: Tomorrow.
Sue: Tomorrow, then a day.
Trent: Yeah.
Mike: So two days?
Trent: Yeah, I guess you could call it that, two days.
Sue: Definitely, two days is like industry standard.
Trent: You know I used to wait two days to call anybody, but now it's like everyone in town waits two days. So I think three days is kind of money. What do you think?
Sue: Yeah, but two's enough not to look anxious.
Trent: But I think three days is kind of money.
Turns out it was 6 days...which is Friday??? :p

RH77