EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   '94 celica (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/94-celica-30974.html)

Fingie 01-18-2015 07:32 AM

'94 celica

Hi!
I have a '94 Toyota Celica.
I bought it for a couple of months ago, and I have loved it so far.
The only bad thing is that this thing's insurance is just too high, and rust has started to creep in.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get more mpgs from it?
But, am not probably going to keep it, because insurance almost empties my wallet more than gas :rolleyes: about 1k/year in us dollars

Have thought about a newer-gen celly or a Chevy spark
Or another coupe or something that looks a bitt odd/sci-fi :D

http://instagram.com/p/tvDnpZIb8P/

dirtydave 01-18-2015 11:41 AM

Auto or manual?

Put the picture on imgur or photobucket or something it doesn't load.

Baltothewolf 01-18-2015 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 464277)
Hi!
I have a '94 Toyota Celica.
I bought it for a couple of months ago, and I have loved it so far.
The only bad thing is that this thing's insurance is just too high, and rust has started to creep in.

Does anyone have any ideas how to get more mpgs from it?
But, am not probably going to keep it, because insurance almost empties my wallet more than gas :rolleyes: about 1k/year in us dollars

Have thought about a newer-gen celly or a Chevy spark
Or another coupe or something that looks a bitt odd/sci-fi :D

http://instagram.com/p/tvDnpZIb8P/

A Coupe that looks odd/Sci-fi Ey? I think it's time you get a Honda Insight :P.

Fingie 01-18-2015 04:16 PM

Its a manual, and sadly first-gen insights were not in the european Export program by honda. Dunno why :-)

The_Jed 01-18-2015 04:26 PM

Sci-Fi looking coupe?

Subaru SVX or Alcyone, not sure which name they were given in Finland.

Fingie 01-20-2015 02:03 PM

I have thought about making a belly pan to the Celica. And possibly a grille block. And skirts and..
:D

Fingie 01-29-2015 05:00 PM

I removed the rear end muffler due to rust. It's huge! :D It also has some weight. I am contemplating if could just get some pipe and guide the fumes under the rocker panel (one muffler left then, ricey). The car would then have room for a belly pan in the back without the huge muffler.

Does anyone know if a belly pan for the rear end/ bumper does anything good? I guess the form abd fitment must be right so it doesn't catch wind or else we have a braking chute of plastic in the back

Fingie 03-13-2015 04:30 PM

Started driving more consciously. 40mpg achieved with over-inflated tires, with crude DWL driving, and I have 25% RE85 mixed with 75% 95 octane. :-D

I do not even have a vacuum gauge yet, and I should research P&G. I do not hace a BSFC map, so i do not know how to max out my driving.

Also our Vehicle registration department has proposed on easing on the EURO3 emissions requirements, thus making engine mods (maybe) possible. (for now you have to make a $2600+ US dollars emissions test, and It does not even guarantee that you will pass)

Fingie 03-13-2015 04:54 PM

My bad. The consumption in MPG is 33, not 40mpg. 40MPG would be cool tho :D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-14-2015 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 471583)
Also our Vehicle registration department has proposed on easing on the EURO3 emissions requirements, thus making engine mods (maybe) possible.

That sounds good. BTW I honestly think Europe should have stopped its emissions enforcement at Euro-3, since anything more stringent has actually been a source of problems regarding adaptability to alternative fuels...

Fingie 03-14-2015 03:31 AM

Weell, here in finland i think the emissions control is too strict. We don't have big cities full of cars, and even if we have the oldest cars in Europe (avg. Age 11yrs) almost all of them have a catalysator by now.

Helsinki is closest to a "big city". I felt the air was a lot more dense than air in my hometown, I visited helsinki in february.

But emissions limits are good in truly big cities, like in germany where diesel puffers flock the streets.

For example, we have (roughly estimated) 2,5 million cars in our country.

1 year of industrial development in asia causes more emissions than what finland produces in 10 years :-/

But on the positive side, alt fuels are being researched. Diesel made on wood leftovers, and RE85 is made from food industry waste.

Fingie 03-14-2015 03:33 AM

And I should really start aeromodding.

Fingie 03-14-2015 03:52 AM

http://ecomodder.com/forum/member-fi...2-07-13-57.jpg

Here she is B-)

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-15-2015 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 471638)
on the positive side, alt fuels are being researched. Diesel made on wood leftovers, and RE85 is made from food industry waste

I knew wood had been used as a feedstock for gasoline in Poland right after the Nazi invasion. Anyway, once I saw a report on a study claiming that eucalyptus plantations had a lesser environmental impact than sugarcane plantations, so it wouldn't be inaccurate to claim that it would make more sense to make gasoline out of eucalyptus than ethanol from sugarcane like it's done in Brazil...

Fingie 03-15-2015 12:25 PM

I'll probably just do some lighter mods this year.

In january, I go to the army to serve at least 6months, or for a year if i can apply to the transporting field.

(its obligatory in finland to serve at least half a year in the military, or if you do civilian service it's a full year)

After that, I'll start with some heavier mechanical mods.

I think a taller-geared gearbox would be nice.

At 60mph the engine revs at 2800rpm.

Or ill spare the celly and buy something else with a cheaper insurance :-D

Like a vw Lupo/seat arosa

Fingie 03-15-2015 12:28 PM

Toyota IQ would be cool too.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 03-20-2015 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 471761)
In january, I go to the army to serve at least 6months, or for a year if i can apply to the transporting field.

(its obligatory in finland to serve at least half a year in the military, or if you do civilian service it's a full year)

In my country it's obligatory to enlist, but actually there are no vacancy for all the boys who turn 18 each year.

Quote:

After that, I'll start with some heavier mechanical mods.

I think a taller-geared gearbox would be nice.
I'd rather try to find a gearbox with a wider gear spread, lower gears and a taller differential. BTW which gearbox is currently fitted into your ride?

Quote:

Or ill spare the celly and buy something else with a cheaper insurance :-D

Like a vw Lupo/seat arosa
What about a Fiat Seicento?

Fingie 03-20-2015 08:01 AM

Seicento is not sold here, and I think the gearbox is a S-Series, made by aisin.

I thought about wider gear spread, because i think all s-series boxes are 5gear ones.

Or i'll buy a New beetle lol

Fingie 03-20-2015 08:03 AM

Ps. Fiats are great cars, if you live in the dry. Here in finland the connectors corrode=lots of problems.

Toyota is popular here, Japs have sealing connectors.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-09-2015 12:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 472388)
Ps. Fiats are great cars, if you live in the dry. Here in finland the connectors corrode=lots of problems.

I have lived in Amazon for 5 years when I was a kid, think about a very humid climate all-year round, and such issue was not so frequent there...

Fingie 04-09-2015 05:25 AM

Well, humidity is not an issue. It's the salt. Finland is in the rust belt.

But actually fiat's work pretty well, actually.

For example 90's Renault's are much worse cars :-D

I thought about buying a lada (used to be popular here) and fit a kubota diesel in it.

Fingie 04-09-2015 05:32 AM

http://youtu.be/mAjOKVd6Dws

A swedish commercial for the russian off-roader called Niva

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-10-2015 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 474723)
Well, humidity is not an issue. It's the salt. Finland is in the rust belt.

But actually fiat's work pretty well, actually.

For example 90's Renault's are much worse cars :-D

I thought about buying a lada (used to be popular here) and fit a kubota diesel in it.

I actually like those old Renaults, and they were very popular in Argentina and Uruguay. But if I were looking for a Renault from early-to-mid 90's I'd probably prefer one with either a Cléon or a Douvrin engine.

A Lada would eventually be also nice. I must admit I like the Niva. If it was still assembled in Uruguay I would eventually consider to get one.

Fingie 04-10-2015 04:08 PM

Parts are not an issue, it's still made :-D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-12-2015 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 474935)
Parts are not an issue, it's still made :-D

I know, and now it uses a Fiat Multijet turbodiesel engine. The point would be to import one duty-free if it was still assembled in Uruguay.

Anyway, instead of putting a Kubota engine into a Niva, why not a Toyota 2C out of a Corolla or a 3C out of an Avensis? Eventually it would also be interesting to consider if you'd rather want to keep the Celica...

Fingie 04-12-2015 06:26 AM

I am keeping mah celica, of course, but after military service i'll start building it (if i get a job :D) with mods like coilovers and some aero mods.

If the proposal of easing emissions laws goes through i am considering a engine swap into something more efficient.

I am still buying a commuter, maybe a Samara as they go here ridiculously cheap.
Then i'll start truly ecomodding it :D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-13-2015 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 475099)
If the proposal of easing emissions laws goes through i am considering a engine swap into something more efficient.

There are lots of options regarding engines that would be still emissions-compliant in your Celica.

Quote:

I am still buying a commuter, maybe a Samara as they go here ridiculously cheap.
Then i'll start truly ecomodding it :D
The Samara is a rare sight back here. I haven't seen one since July 2013...

Fingie 04-13-2015 04:02 AM

Well, finland is adjacent to russia :-D

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 04-13-2015 04:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fingie (Post 475218)
Well, finland is adjacent to russia :-D

You might know, in ancient times Finland has even been a part of Russia.

Fingie 02-22-2016 05:22 AM

Zombie thread, but i've been looking on a JDM ST185 Celica that's on sale now. I have a commuter, so it would be a project

user removed 02-22-2016 08:40 AM

I own a 1934 dated Finnish Civil Guard Model 28/30 rifle, one of the rarest military rifles ever issued to a military organization. Civil guard members had to purchase their own weapons.

Finland also has the unique distinction as the ONLY country that paid back it's war debt in the second World War, and to have survived that conflict mostly intact after the Soviets invaded their territory in the 100 days war.

Their history is an exceptionally great read if you wish to learn more.

I would love to go their once before my time is up, fantastic people from my experience.

regards
mech

Fingie 02-22-2016 08:58 AM

Oh right, the "Pystykorva" Rifle :D