EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/sale.html)
-   -   94 Civic VX For Sale (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/94-civic-vx-sale-38613.html)

IdahoNuke 09-22-2020 11:52 AM

94 Civic VX For Sale

Think of what you can save. Have you thought about the future? Honda engineers spent some time pondering this question in the eighties, and when they put pen to paper, a new kind of car was created: The Honda Civic VX.

$2,900 OBO. Clean clear title in hand. Federal 48 state ECU. I bought my teal hatch in 2015, and used it as a daily driver. Then my son drove it in college until the radiator sprang a leak and the driver’s window came off track. I rescued it, repaired it, and now it mostly just sits. This nugget has 270k (no knowledge of rebuilding or anything). It runs great! No oil usage. No CEL.

The VX improved fuel efficiency through a 92 hP 1.5-liter (D15Z1) VTEC-E lean-burn engine yielding 48/55 mpg. Other added features were an 8,000-rpm tachometer with redline at 6,000 rpm, ultra-lightweight 13-inch aluminum alloy wheels, front under-body trim, as well as an additional rear diffuser to improve aerodynamic flow. The VX was also equipped with an aluminum alternator bracket, an aluminum front driver side engine mount and a lightweight crank pulley.

Cruise Control – not available from Honda on the VX model, this was an extremely difficult modification. Nevertheless, it works awesome, best CC I have ever used. Improves fuel economy. It is currently intermittent and needs troubleshooting (suspect clock spring).

Engine – EGR valve relocation. Air conditioning deleted. Left grill blocked. Ram air induction charges the factory air cleaner directly! Best mod was the 2-in exhaust with Dynomax muffler (so much more torque, with a deep idle tone, but quiet while driving). New radiator. New alternator belt.

Transmission – factory 5-speed works great

Fuel Economy – 41.8 mpg year-round average logged in Fuelly, 51.5 mpg was most recent (summer + cruise control + new exhaust)

Exterior – Si rear glass with 11-inch J-hook wiper arm. Rust repaired, but third-rate bodywork, and second-rate paint job so it does not look that great, but NO RUST. Factory color looks good at 30 feet. Small dents on tailgate.

Interior – RSX Type S seats are firm but comfortable. Dumb factory cup holders replaced with a single holder that fits a big gulp. Si footrest dead pedal. Bulbs replaced with LEDs.

Cargo Area – Si trunk light.

Steering – factory manual with new tie rods and alignment.

Suspension – newer KYB shocks all around. Rear: EM1 sway bar with aluminum LCAs adjustable aluminum UCAs. Rides and handles like mint, tires limit traction.

Brakes – newer front pads.

Wheels and Tires – factory wheels with low rolling resistance 155/80-13 Kumho Solus, 15k with lots of miles left. New full-sized spare.

Electrical – Newer battery. JVC head unit with nice Boston speakers. Wired for a sub.

Think of what you can save. Have you thought about the future? Honda engineers spent some time pondering this question in the eighties, and when they put pen to paper, a new kind of car was created: The Honda Civic VX.

$2,900 OBO. Clean clear title in hand. Federal 48 state ECU. I bought my teal hatch in 2015, and used it as a daily driver. Then my son drove it in college until the radiator sprang a leak and the driver’s window came off track. I rescued it, repaired it, and now it mostly just sits. This nugget has 270k (no knowledge of rebuilding or anything). It runs great! No oil usage. No CEL.

The VX improved fuel efficiency through a 92 hP 1.5-liter (D15Z1) VTEC-E lean-burn engine yielding 48/55 mpg. Other added features were an 8,000-rpm tachometer with redline at 6,000 rpm, ultra-lightweight 13-inch aluminum alloy wheels, front under-body trim, as well as an additional rear diffuser to improve aerodynamic flow. The VX was also equipped with an aluminum alternator bracket, an aluminum front driver side engine mount and a lightweight crank pulley.

Cruise Control – not available from Honda on the VX model, this was an extremely difficult modification. Nevertheless, it works awesome, best CC I have ever used. Improves fuel economy. It is currently intermittent and needs troubleshooting (suspect clock spring).

Engine – EGR valve relocation. Air conditioning deleted. Left grill blocked. Ram air induction charges the factory air cleaner directly! Best mod was the 2-in exhaust with Dynomax muffler (so much more torque, with a deep idle tone, but quiet while driving). New radiator. New alternator belt.

Transmission – factory 5-speed works great

Fuel Economy – 41.8 mpg year-round average logged in Fuelly, 51.5 mpg was most recent (summer + cruise control + new exhaust)

Exterior – Si rear glass with 11-inch J-hook wiper arm. Rust repaired, but third-rate bodywork, and second-rate paint job so it does not look that great, but NO RUST. Factory color looks good at 30 feet. Small dents on tailgate.

Interior – RSX Type S seats are firm but comfortable. Dumb factory cup holders replaced with a single holder that fits a big gulp. Si footrest dead pedal. Bulbs replaced with LEDs.

Cargo Area – Si trunk light.

Steering – factory manual with new tie rods and alignment.

Suspension – newer KYB shocks all around. Rear: EM1 sway bar with aluminum LCAs adjustable aluminum UCAs. Rides and handles like mint, tires limit traction.

Brakes – newer front pads.

Wheels and Tires – factory wheels with low rolling resistance 155/80-13 Kumho Solus, 15k with lots of miles left. New full-sized spare.

Electrical – Newer battery. JVC head unit with nice Boston speakers. Wired for a sub.

mpg_numbers_guy 09-22-2020 12:39 PM

Welcome! ��

Please post pictures of your ride! The VX was a hot hatch among ecomodder back in the day, although not many are left, at least unmodded and not rusted out.

IdahoNuke 09-22-2020 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mpg_numbers_guy (Post 631602)
Welcome! ��

Please post pictures of your ride! The VX was a hot hatch among ecomodder back in the day, although not many are left, at least unmodded and not rusted out.

Thanks! I don't have enough posts to link to pictures yet. Pics coming soon (2 of 5).

I would prefer to sell it to someone who appreciates its purpose and is not just looking for something to swap.

TDFbound 10-17-2020 07:34 PM

Care to tell any more about that exhaust? My '92 VX has a DEAD exhaust from rust, needs to be replaced soon and looking for ideas.

IdahoNuke 10-17-2020 10:37 PM

There are Chinese stainless steel kits you can buy for cheap. But I have heard stories of bad fit, thin tubing, and general cheapness. I chose to avoid these and stayed with the aluminized exhaust (which actually lasts longer) from the big names of Bosal and Walker. I would recommend buying the various pipes and screwing them together. I spent about three hundred buck total. I reused all of my rubber hangers; they were fine. To minimize complications with a second O2 sensor and passing emission controls, retain the original exhaust manifold and catalytic converter. Replace the A-pipe, B-pipe, C-pipe, muffler, and tip with the following components.

 2 each Walker 35129 bolt kits
 2 each Walker 31360 exhaust flange gasket: donut, 1 side beveled, 1-25/32 inch ID, 21/32 inch thick
 1 each Walker 31383 exhaust flange gasket: 2-1/8 in. I.D. hole, 3-bolt, 2-7/8 inch between bolts
 2 each Walker 31388 flat gasket
 1 each B-pipe, Bosal 291-217 or Walker 48290
 2 each Walker 31586 gasket
 1 each Walker 31378 gasket
 1 each A-pipe, Ansa HD13141
 C-pipe, gasket, muffler and tip: Dynomax 17401
 Nuts: 3 each 10 x 1.25 stainless

I was worried I would lose low-end torque with a larger exhaust, but the exact opposite was true. The OEM section of the B-pipe between the cat and the resonator was actually double wall pipe (presumable for noise reduction) with a 1.75-inch outside diameter. Subtracting the two pipe wall thicknesses and the annular space, the inside diameter was about 1.25 inches. It was tiny, and so restrictive that after switching to 2-inch I was able to stay in fifth on hills where I had previously had to shift down.
​​​​​​​