EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   94 Civic Worth a new motor? (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/94-civic-worth-new-motor-34226.html)

wanderlost 08-23-2016 02:04 PM

94 Civic Worth a new motor?

I have a 1994 Honda Civic DX Hatchback sitting in my yard with a blown head. It has no rust and a good automagic transmission. As far as ecomodding platforms go would it be worth it to invest time and money into putting a new or mechanically sound junkyard engine into this car?

Gasoline Fumes 08-23-2016 06:53 PM

Of course it's worth it! 90s Civics are awesome!
EcoModder Fleet list - EcoModder.com
I'd convert it to a manual too.

California98Civic 08-23-2016 09:08 PM

Yes! Search Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market for a replacement engine.

But if you are going to replace the engine, which all by itself is good enough, why not go for a much newer engine? Get a manual Honda Fit 2007 engine and ECU! You would need to fabricate engine mounts and a shifter for the manual. But you'd get a 1.5L with ivtec and greater efficiency. :)

james

Xist 08-24-2016 01:19 AM

I am as eager as anyone else for you to undertake a huge project! Update frequently! :D

wanderlost 08-24-2016 11:12 AM

I am currently in search of a motor and manual transmission that will be a direct fit to the factory Dx mounts. Does anyone on this site have any information on what will/ wont work. Was considering a V-tec but finding and wiring a V-tec Ecu to the Dx harness might be difficult.

California98Civic 08-24-2016 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wanderlost (Post 521350)
I am currently in search of a motor and manual transmission that will be a direct fit to the factory Dx mounts. Does anyone on this site have any information on what will/ wont work. Was considering a V-tec but finding and wiring a V-tec Ecu to the Dx harness might be difficult.

You would need to adapt the harness to accommodate the VX hardware, such as its O2 sensor. Even then, your shorter gearing on your DX would complicate for accomplishing the lean burn that is the holy grail of VX/HX trims for ecomodders. It could turn out to feel like a pretty big PITA, especially if you were looking for an easy bolt on.

The 1992-1995 DX, LX, AND Del Sol (not the Si Del Sol) all had D15B7 engines. And the CX had the D15B8. But a CX sourced D15B8 and ECU shouldn't require much or any mods to the harness, and it might have a fuel map that is tuned to sip fuel better than your DX engine originally was. Maybe.

EDIT: I think I have the 1992-1995 Civic factory service manual in PDF form on my computer (I am on my mobile right now). If you need it, PM me an email address and I will send it to you.

Wyodaniel 09-18-2016 06:55 PM

Yeah, so many of Honda's other motors would be compatible that it's definitely worth putting a newer one in there.