Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > EcoModding Central
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-27-2020, 11:33 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Pro

59 Rambler engine

Freebeard, I have NEVER seen that engine, or any without an intake and exhaust manifold. I LOVE simple but some things can be taken to extreme.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 10-28-2020, 01:42 AM   #2 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
I'm aware of the usage of Continental flathead-six engined being used in early Argentinian derivatives of the Rambler Classic.

When it comes to engines without an intake manifold, I only used to see this feature on Diesel engines.
Old 10-29-2020, 05:26 PM   #3 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 8,572 Times in 7,058 Posts
That's only the half of it. The front and back bumpers were the same part. The extruded door window frames? Same part. The Metropolitan had whole doors that were identical (although I don't believe one was suicide[d].

It was probably the most reliable car I've owned. In the two years I drove it, all it needed was a bellcrank in the clutch linkage to be welded.

Quote:
Following the conversion of the Special Six to 7 mains, the Advanced Six received its first major upgrade since 1918, also a 7 main bearing crank with pressure fed rods. The Advanced Six upgrade also came out in 1926. Nash Motors published a brochure called "Why 7 ?" telling the public back in 1926 about the benefits of 7 main bearings.

Also in 1926, the Ajax series was folded into the Nash family as the Light Six. By the end of 1926, Nash offered three series of autos, all seven main bearing sixes, Light Six the flathead, Special Six a middle sized OHV and the Advanced Six the original flagship OHV engine. Production rolled along through 1928 in this manner.
[snip]
Nash's fine engineering developed reliable engines that powered great autos. All of these Nash engines were used well after 1957 by AMC (the flathead through 1965, the 327 V-8 through 1966, the 250 V8 through 1960, the ohv six through 1965) and in some cases, in trucks ( the 327 in IH, Ambassador six in Divco milk trucks and IH and White trucks and buses) as well as marine applications (the 327 V8.)
https://www.allpar.com/mopar/nash.html

I believe a Nash six ran at the Indy 500 one year but I can't find a reference.

Old 11-06-2020, 04:14 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Thanked 7,219 Times in 4,646 Posts
Rambler flat-six

Funny! I had one in my '61 American. I have no recollection about the intake. I do remember the single downpipe which served as the exhaust manifold.
I created three downpipes with an oxy-acetylene rig, each with tailpipe and Cherry-Bomb glass-pack. Police gave me a warning for noise. After I painted the car competition orange there were no more noise warnings. Go figure!
And I managed to get a two-barrel Stromberg, with aluminum adaptor onto the beast. Head was milled enough to get it flat.( no pun intended ).
Cruising Van Nuys Boulevard on Wednesday nights, with the ignition retarded, and engine loping, nobody knew how to interpret the car. Reckon they thought it was a 'sleeper', as no one ever challenged me.
25-mpg, combined. Sold it when I got orders for overseas.
freebeard (11-06-2020)
Old 11-07-2020, 12:01 AM   #5 (permalink)
It's all about Diesel

Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,449 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freebeard View Post
That's only the half of it. The front and back bumpers were the same part. The extruded door window frames? Same part. The Metropolitan had whole doors that were identical (although I don't believe one was suicide[d].
And nowadays, if one is lucky enough, the side window glass panels and the mirrors are symmetrical enough to be interchangeable.

Reply  Post New Thread