EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   97 Mazda MPV going for 30! (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/97-mazda-mpv-going-30-a-7677.html)

MadisonMPG 03-30-2009 03:09 PM

97 Mazda MPV going for 30!

So I recently got my moms minivan all to my own and I'm going to work on it to get 25-30mpg. It's been getting 18 average the way she drove it and where she drove it.

I will be posting a running thread on what mods I do and what kind of gas mileage I see. My trip is not the best one for gas mileage, a 2.5 mile trip to school and the same road on the way back. I do take a 45 or so minute ride to my moms house every weekend, mostly flat road, so that should be good.

I would like to know what I should do about the oil leak the van has, it's not too bad, but it would mess up any plastic I put under the van and that would a(e)ffect my plan for body pan. Does anyone have an idea? Maybe like a 1/3 full length pan?

Mods so far:
  • engine fan delete
    roof rack delete
    partial duct tape grill block
    antenna delete

Mods to come:
  • side mirror replacement/delete
    full/permanent grill block
    215/205 tires
    steeper rear end gears
    bottom pan thingy

Current mileage=137556
Current weight reduction=111lbs+w/e the back seat weighs.

Pictures so far:
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN4376.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN4377.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN4378.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN4379.jpg
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN4380.jpg

I will be running an identical thread over at the mpv's site.

1337 03-31-2009 12:23 AM

I would strongly discourage you from running *NO* engine fan. If you're ever in traffic on a warm day, you may overheat.

There's nothing wrong with installing a more efficient fan, but not having a fan is bad news.

MadisonMPG 03-31-2009 08:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337 (Post 94936)
I would strongly discourage you from running *NO* engine fan. If you're ever in traffic on a warm day, you may overheat.

There's nothing wrong with installing a more efficient fan, but not having a fan is bad news.

I don't get stuck in traffic. If I get in traffic after school I wait in the parking lot w/o the engine running. Obvious hypermiler technique.

brucepick 03-31-2009 09:29 AM

Nice grill block. Lexan over the fog light holes could be good if you can find a neat clean way to mount it.

I too am skeptical about the fan delete. I recognize that you will stay aware of the temperature status but even one time overheating is too many. One day the car will go to a shop or your gf will need it for something or your mom will borrow it back or... whatever. And they may "forget" or just not care to watch out for overheating.

Now my old dd had a mechanical fan that spun always (slowly unless engine got very hot); I removed it and replaced with electric. I saved on the energy used to spin the fan and also the silly extra cooling it always created. Thankfully most cars now use electric. I think the only gain from an electric fan delete is the weight savings. Nice if you're in AK but maybe not in AL. With all due respect.

DonR 03-31-2009 12:07 PM

Fix the oil leak. Your driveway will appreciate it.

PaleMelanesian 03-31-2009 12:35 PM

I agree about the cooling fan. You can easily put it on a switch if you want to keep it off, but it's only a flick away if/when needed.

Smooth wheel covers, maybe some rear wheel skirts, kammback, etc

Oh, and tire pressure - use more. Max sidewall for sure, more if you want.

MadisonMPG 03-31-2009 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DonR (Post 94983)
Fix the oil leak. Your driveway will appreciate it.

Don't park in the driveway, only parked here for pics.

MadisonMPG 03-31-2009 05:19 PM

What noone realizes on here, or the MPV site, is that I drive 2.5 miles to school @ 40mph. I idle for 2 red lights max and am on my way. If it starts to run even the slightest bit warmer, I will put it back on. I might see how much of an improvement there is between with and without it.

Drive Stick 03-31-2009 05:38 PM

With a grille block and no fan, you are really pushing the cooling system to it's limits. The fan weighs nothing in terms of overall vehicle weight, you'd benefit much more from removing a third row of seats believe me.

I realize you are experimenting for gains, but for what it's worth any car I've ever seen with no fan has overheating issues. Even if you run no thermostat. (which is another huge DON'T DO THIS move.) No thermostat will cause the engine to take for ever to warm up to operating temperature and run rich for an extended period of time decreasing gas mileage.

Mechanically attached fan would be a parasitic drag on the engine in which case I'd advise one to upgrade to an electric fan or fans.

winkosmosis 03-31-2009 06:09 PM

Why did you remove your fan? Give one good reason for not having it in there. And it better be good to offset the huge disadvantages and risks.

Remember, there's nothing environmentally friendly about killing your van, or causing extra wear to various parts from additional heat.

MadisonMPG 03-31-2009 06:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by winkosmosis (Post 95036)
Why did you remove your fan? Give one good reason for not having it in there. And it better be good to offset the huge disadvantages and risks.

Remember, there's nothing environmentally friendly about killing your van, or causing extra wear to various parts from additional heat.

Reason for not having it? The risk is much smaller than you would expect. Did a test with friends scan gauge, idle for 5 minutes, water temp 202. Lets put the fact that I took the fan off aside, and answer some more of my aero questions. :thumbup:

Drive Stick 03-31-2009 07:34 PM

I'd tape over the fog lights while you are at it, slick smooth the entire lower valance - headlights will be sufficient for light at night

Also, with your short trips and the engine probably never reaching operating temperate by the time you even reach your destination increasing mpg via aero mods may not has as much of an impact as you are hoping for.

Also on a 2.5 mile drive I suspect there aren't many chances for you to coast? I got my biggest gains from coasting. If I get my old job back its only 2 miles from me, I know my mileage will die hard once I am only driving 4 miles a day instead of 40. (the starting and stopping factor kills it)

stealcanada 03-31-2009 08:36 PM

you could bike instead of driving the two miles...

i'm not trying to be confrontational

MadisonMPG 03-31-2009 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stealcanada (Post 95057)
you could bike instead of driving the two miles...

i'm not trying to be confrontational

Have you been to high school?

PaleMelanesian 03-31-2009 09:01 PM

Some kind of belly pan to cover this. You already mentioned it, but it's a good one. That's a big gap that's adding a lot of drag.
http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/k...6/DSCN4376.jpg

MadisonMPG 03-31-2009 09:22 PM

I'm actually fabbing up one now.

I've come to the realization that this car will not get good gas mileage, so I will be putting the fan back on, and leaving the ductape for a while. It oddly makes the car handle better/lose less speed on the highway.

PaleMelanesian 04-01-2009 09:09 AM

Do you have a scangauge? You should get one. Without any instrumentation, you're just flailing in the dark. It'll make more difference than most of these mods, just showing you where the biggest losses are.

Drive Stick 04-01-2009 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 95065)
this car will not get good gas mileage

It can, and will but not driving 2.5 miles to school and back. You really need 15 / 20 mile commutes in order to benefit from gas saving. I mean I'm sure the vehicle is used for going other places as well right? So The mods will help, just not as much on the way to school.

MadisonMPG 04-01-2009 05:09 PM

It will be my "fuel efficient truck". :)

1337 04-01-2009 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 95060)
Have you been to high school?

Yes, and I used to bike 7 miles on country roads to high school. I would wear workout clothes and shower in the locker room in the morning. It was a great way to start the day. :)

Also, I think showing up to high school on a sweet fixed-gear bike is _way_ cooler than showing up in a MINIVAN!

1337 04-01-2009 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 95065)
I'm actually fabbing up one now.
I will be putting the fan back on, and leaving the ductape for a while. It oddly makes the car handle better/lose less speed on the highway.

I'm not sure about the handling, but a grill block reduces your coefficient of drag, which will make it lose less speed when coasting on the highway.

MadisonMPG 04-01-2009 06:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337 (Post 95218)
Also, I think showing up to high school on a sweet fixed-gear bike is _way_ cooler than showing up in a MINIVAN!

It's not.

1337 04-01-2009 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MadisonMPG (Post 95220)
It's not.

At least you don't have to pay for fuel when riding the bike. You can also blow past your friends in their gas guzzlers as they wait at stop signs or lights.

MadisonMPG 04-01-2009 06:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337 (Post 95222)
At least you don't have to pay for fuel when riding the bike. You can also blow past your friends in their gas guzzlers as they wait at stop signs or lights.

I agree, but I would have to get up earlier, and wear a helmet, I hate helmets.

theunchosen 04-01-2009 06:41 PM

helmets do virtually ruin any chance of having meeting-worthy hair

MadisonMPG 04-01-2009 06:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theunchosen (Post 95225)

See. :)

Me gusto mi pelo.

1337 04-01-2009 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theunchosen (Post 95225)

Hence the shower upon arrival.

MadisonMPG 04-01-2009 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1337 (Post 95229)
Hence the shower upon arrival.

EDIT:

I will see if I can ride w/o a helmet, yeah it's dangerous lol. I live live on the EDGE!

Quick survey, who has ever worn a helmet on a bike?

*nay*

stealcanada 04-01-2009 08:24 PM

i bike 4 miles to school daily :) and i wear a helmet, i find it easier to focus early in the morning cause the ride to school gets my blood pumping

MadisonMPG 04-01-2009 10:21 PM

Well I am glad that you are able to do that, I just don't see it possible for me. I have a rather large/fast 4 way to cross to get to school. Seems a little to dangerous, i'll have to see.

stealcanada 04-02-2009 12:33 AM

i agree, i dislike biking on roads where cars zoom by without caution, they don't feel safe, i understand your situation better