EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   98 Honda civic - automatic - what to expect fuel mileage (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/98-honda-civic-automatic-what-expect-fuel-mileage-10944.html)

EcomilerChristopher 11-11-2009 08:48 AM

98 Honda civic - automatic - what to expect fuel mileage

Excellent forum! I have a few questions. Firstly, is there a chart somewhere on this forum that shows fuel mileages people have obtained for various cars?

I have a 1998 Civic automatic. Currently I'm getting 13.5 km/L almost 32mi/gal.

Unfortunately the lockup in the tranny isn't working properly and it won't stay in top gear (4th gear lockup only partially engaged). I mostly highway drive so the higher rpm is probably ruining my mileage (as I read somewhere someone said with the 98 civic fuel mileage drops off the cliff at high rpm)

I probably should be getting closer to 36 mpg. Anyone have any stats what I should be getting? hence the reason for me asking for a chart. I've replaced the air filter,cap and rotor,spark plugs and the PCV valve for tuneup but until I get that lockup problem fixed sometime in the next week I'll be getting sub par fuel mileage.

PaleMelanesian 11-11-2009 10:32 AM

If it locked up, you'd get similar highway mileage to mine, with both using cruise control. Yours would be slightly better, since the auto is geared for lower rpm. Mine will give me 40+ with the cruise control at 65 on flat terrain with light AC use.

(I never drive like that any more, though ;))

EcomilerChristopher 11-11-2009 12:20 PM

awesome

Holy cow! That's awesome! I gotta get it fixed soon then, I'm just throwing cash out the window running without lockup.

PaleMelanesian 11-11-2009 12:25 PM

Also, that's in good weather. Where you live, you'll likely not see that kind of mileage until May. :(

RobertSmalls 11-11-2009 03:05 PM

Yes, you can compare your FE against others with similar cars. Click on Garage at the top of the page, and do a search.

Or click on the Team Honda link right above PaleCivic's mpg to the left of Pale's posts. PaleCivic is #1 in TeamHonda. I'd better get modding.

PaleMelanesian 11-11-2009 03:49 PM

My biggest mod is to adjust the "nut behind the wheel". I have a grille block, a Scangauge, more air in the tires, and a battery trickle charger to offset winter headlight usage.

You can also filter the entire garage page like this:
http://ecomodder.com/forum/emgarage....el=civic&year=

k.civic.f4i 11-13-2009 10:30 AM

if im not mistaken youre getting average mpg for an AUTOMATIC. that generation of civic was a bit heavier and less aerodynamic than the previous. i averaged near 32 without my grill block.

EcomilerChristopher 12-17-2009 06:34 AM

Winter

Thanks, I am noticing the winter mileage plummet now. I've installed winter tires but still getting around 34 mpg. I think it's somewhere in October where gas companies start adding fuel additives for the winter and then stop somewhere in May, like as you said my mileage would get better. Coincides quite nicely with the removal of the fuel additives so it must be true.

I'm driving with general fuel consumption savings in mind. Trying to stay around 100-105 kph on the highway and I drive that almost 90% of the time during my commute. Never too hard on the accelerator, steady speeds and most of the time conservative braking.

I've fixed my lockup problem. It was the shift solenoid sensor. But my engine light is still on with error code indicating a fuel leak in the gas tank area. I replaced the gas cap but that did not solve the problem so I suspect the charcoal fuel canister (not the fuel filter, I already replaced that). But I don't know wether it's worthwhile to actually fix that... I mean how much am I going to save? Would I recoup the cost in a few months? probably not, so I think I will just leave it.

I think I"m just going overboard with the tuneups but hopefully I'll really notice it in the summer months. The car isn't completely tuned, it's got a knocking noise or maybe ticking is the best way to describe it(probably the valves or even a slightly out of adjustment cap) when it's cold. Goes away when it's warmed up and the car is quite peppy.

Wonderboy 12-17-2009 06:58 AM

Welcome to EM!

I've got a 98 Civic EX with the grille blocked off entirely for winter, rear wheel skirts, and smooth font wheel covers. Those modifications in addition to a warm air intake have yielded me on average a ~16% increase in fuel economy (with pretty much all of the driving techniques outlined in the 100+ Hypermiling Tips section of this site). Doing any or all of these things is advisable.

You mentioned:
Quote:

I think it's somewhere in October where gas companies start adding fuel additives for the winter and then stop somewhere in May, like as you said my mileage would get better. Coincides quite nicely with the removal of the fuel additives so it must be true.
Just to clarify, although the additives can be a detriment to your mileage, the main offender is the cold, which is why people install block heaters and block off all front grilles entirely during winter. Doing these things are also advisable, with objective supporting evidence on many threads you will find here. Again, welcome and happy modding!