EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   AAA tests show 5-7% city mileage gain with automatic engine stop-start (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aaa-tests-show-5-7-city-mileage-gain-29567.html)

MetroMPG 07-24-2014 09:57 AM

AAA tests show 5-7% city mileage gain with automatic engine stop-start

Looks like the AAA is trying to educate motorists about the benefits of stop/start.

Their study also busts the misconception that stop/start isn't on American cars because the systems don't register enough of a beneift in EPA testing.

Quote:

AAA put three automatic stop-start vehicles through the Environmental Protection Agency’s “urban” cycle, which simulates a commuting trip covering 11.04 miles at an average speed of 21.2 miles-per-hour. The simulation is part urban driving – including frequent stops – and part highway driving. This test was selected to ensure that the stop-start systems had an opportunity to work as they would on a normal commute.
  • A 2013 Ford Fusion,
  • a 2014 Mercedes Benz CLS550
  • and a 2013 Chevrolet Malibu were tested.
The AAA research was conducted with the Auto Club of Southern California’s Automotive Research Center.
Source: AAA

They estimate annual fuel savings of $179 for consumers, based on 15,000 miles a year in a vehicle that averages 20 mpg with fuel prices at $3.65 per gallon.

Notably, they also point out the savings "do not include other factors relative to ownership costs of vehicles equipped with automatic stop-start systems, such as potentially higher costs to replace the upgraded battery or starter typically used in these vehicles."

Fat Charlie 07-24-2014 12:21 PM

Do you think AAA will ever do a study on the savings for "manual engine shutoff without coming to a stop," or EOC as we call it here?

Xist 07-24-2014 01:18 PM

I thought we did not have start-stop because Americans would not put up with the injustice of their air conditioning turning off.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 436916)
Do you think AAA will ever do a study on the savings for "manual engine shutoff without coming to a stop," or EOC as we call it here?

It really seems like if you purchase a car that turns off your engine (or shifts to neutral), you are environmentally-friendly, but if you do it yourself, you are evil, insane, and putting everyone's lives at risk!

Everyone! Even if they are miles away!

Fat Charlie 07-24-2014 01:48 PM

Ooh, sorry. I'll have to buy another new car so that I'm not imperiling you guys any more. And the puppies, I've got to stop risking all those puppies' lives.

cRiPpLe_rOoStEr 07-24-2014 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xist (Post 436924)
I thought we did not have start-stop because Americans would not put up with the injustice of their air conditioning turning off.

It's not impossible to get a 12-volt Danfoss-type compressor to keep the air-conditioneer operating with the engine off, just like in any hybrid.

Quote:

It really seems like if you purchase a car that turns off your engine (or shifts to neutral), you are environmentally-friendly, but if you do it yourself, you are evil, insane, and putting everyone's lives at risk!
Going "green" is nowadays more a matter of bragging rights or marketing than any other thing.

nemo 07-24-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Charlie (Post 436936)
And the puppies, I've got to stop risking all those puppies' lives.

Don't forget the wolves.:rolleyes:

Daox 07-24-2014 03:45 PM

We mainly don't have start/stop because the EPA testing doesn't reflect any benefit. During the testing, there is no sustained periods where the vehicle is stopped and idling (or not). Its just speed up/down.

The A/C thing can be remedied by a little extra cost. Heat exchanger manufacturers have incorporated phase change material (wax) into the heat exchangers to 'store cold/heat' for a limited amount of time. I think in the article I read it was 30 seconds. The additional cost was pretty minimal.

Cobb 07-24-2014 04:20 PM

Myself and several insight owners see more like a 10% savings with auto stop. :thumbup:

Xist 07-24-2014 05:43 PM

Well, people do not want their AC cutting out, and if they wanted to pay extra for better mileage, they would purchase a hybrid!

For the puppies? Wolves?
http://i299.photobucket.com/albums/m...pies/Quiet.jpg

Wolf puppies!

Cobb 07-24-2014 05:57 PM

If you had actually driven a hybrid you would know the same applies to the heater. At least some cars like the Civic and prius can run the ac on battery power for a few minutes before the engine needs to refire. :thumbup:

Me? I use recycle for air flow and let off the brake every so often so the engine runs a little, then reapply brake and auto stop restarts.