EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Hypermiling / EcoDriver's Ed (https://ecomodder.com/forum/hypermiling-ecodrivers-ed.html)
-   -   AAA-what would be funny (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aaa-what-would-funny-3636.html)

rjacob 07-09-2008 09:08 AM

AAA-what would be funny

There have been a ton of news articles coming out lately slamming hypermiling, most quoting AAA.
What would be fun is to have someone trail behind Marshall L. Doney, AAA Automotive vice president, and video him driving. It would be fun to post on YouTube a video of his driving habits. If he speeds, rolls through stops signs, talks on the cell phone, etc. That would be hilarious! :)
I bet he drives an SUV? I wonder what the pressure in his tires is?

ebacherville 07-09-2008 10:08 AM

go for it get a camera and find the bugger.. tape away.. I'm sure they don't do as they say..

As for there comments.. the best way to save fuel is drive slower... even out local news did a test to show the difference between driving 45-55-65-75 and showed a trip to Mt Rushmore from here in MN you could drive at 75 and get 17mpg or drive at 45 and get 28mpg.. in there test SUV.. then they said "is the added 4.5 hours really worth 50 bucks in gas, you decide"... they interviews a cop and the cop said driving 45 mph was legal.. however they never even mentioned that at 45 mph your be able to stop in less than half the distance than at 75mph.. with all the hype over safty in cars i figured some place would pick up on this , but they don't..

I think the question for AAA is this at 75 or 55mph who's going to be safer doing emergency stops and maneuvers.

dcb 07-09-2008 10:22 AM

Well, as traffic as a whole approaches zero mph, the chance for any type of traffic accident also approaches zero (I hold this as self evident). The farther from zero you get the greater the chance of an accident.

i_am_socket 07-09-2008 12:30 PM

You don't get stuck in Jersey traffic much do you ;-) It's usually the speed difference between vehicles and respective IQ's of the drivers that increases the chance for a traffic accident.

SVOboy 07-09-2008 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by i_am_socket (Post 42375)
You don't get stuck in Jersey traffic much do you ;-) It's usually the speed difference between vehicles and respective IQ's of the drivers that increases the chance for a traffic accident.

As a jersey driver I can vouch for that, :thumbup:

RH77 07-09-2008 02:41 PM

...and I'm sure all the AAA-approved tow-truck drivers drive the speed limit.

Wouldn't want to keep the public waiting? Plus a lot of them compete for business -- first come, first towed...

RH77

gascort 07-09-2008 03:42 PM

I've only been in one tow truck that didn't speed while my car was in tow. The other 6 times or so, the driver went at least 10 mph over the limit, usually while operating the cb or trip log, without a seat belt...

dremd 07-09-2008 10:58 PM

anybody know where aaa is based?

the nearest office too me is like 60 miles and they are useless