EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   General Efficiency Discussion (https://ecomodder.com/forum/general-efficiency-discussion.html)
-   -   About to kill my efficiency... installed a radio (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/about-kill-my-efficiency-installed-radio-5959.html)

MetroMPG 11-11-2008 10:19 PM

About to kill my efficiency... installed a radio

You'll get a laugh from this: yesterday I installed an AM/FM stereo cassette player in the Blackfly - its first ever radio. It replaces the blank panel that has been in the center stack since the car popped radio-less out of its factory 11 years ago this month.

http://www.shareamemory.com/radio/Honda_Civic.jpg

And it's probably going to hurt my mileage.

What?! Why and why?

1) Because I'm getting ready to go on a long-ish road trip. I've done plenty of short trips - say 4 hours tops - but I've always just brought along portable tunes/headphones (bud in one ear only - safety first!). But I'm looking at about 1600 km / 1000 miles. Plus, I thought news & weather would be good...

2) Why an AM/FM cassette player? Because I had one in my junk pile - inherited from my brother who swapped out the OEM radio in my mom's Integra 16 years ago. So my Firefly now has a little "HONDA" inside.

I guess the old lady who originally bought the car either didn't care for audio distraction, or planned to install a kick-a$$ sound system, but never got to because she fell ill not long after getting the car home from the dealer and hardly drove it.

The funny thing is, the car came from the factory with an antenna and 4 speakers pre-installed, wiring harness in place. But no radio.

3) My mileage is going to suffer!

- Added weight (OK, just kidding.)

- Distraction from the ScanGauge! Driving technique goes out the window!

- Added power consumption!

Unless of course I find some special, relaxing music to put me psychologically in the fuel economy zone...

Frank Lee 11-11-2008 10:35 PM

I rarely listen, even on long drives. I've often thought of pulling all the stereo stuff out and if the urge to listen to radio, tapes, CDs, whatever ever happens, to put a boombox in the back seat. But the 6lb "penalty" hasn't been enough incentive to do it.

MetroMPG 11-11-2008 10:48 PM

Short & medium drives in monkish silence are OK.

But after a while I find it takes too much effort to keep ignoring all the voices in my head. 1600 km is definitely too far.

Yaristock 11-11-2008 11:13 PM

I find that the radio usually distrcts me from the lil voice in my head that says 'punch it and pass that old lady alread!!!!'
then agian some voices tell me to P.I.T. her and drive on my mary way, and the radio an make them louder

Duffman 11-11-2008 11:13 PM

I cant believe I did it now but I did Saskatoon to Barrie ON one way without a radio in 2005.

Yaristock 11-11-2008 11:16 PM

How many miles is that, anything longer than 2 hours is a stretch for me. I'd be lucky to not kill someone without it. Three things make the world go round music, love(for all the hippies), and gravity.

Duffman 11-11-2008 11:20 PM

Two twelve hour days of near straight wheel time, plus a 6 hour on the third day.

cfg83 11-12-2008 02:09 AM

MetroMPG -

Love the Metro-Honda combo. You can tell people that the only reason people get good MPG in Honda's is the radio, so that's why you did the super-secret "radio mod".

I do listen to my radio constantly. The LA traffic updates pay off in LA traffic maybe 20% of the time. I even got new speakers recently :

Front Door Speaker Install ... - SaturnFans Forums

Maybe I will remove the rear speakers from the hatch because I have muffly crap in the back to the point where they are useless.

It is strange that you had everything "ready and waiting" for installation. Here is my theory. The Metro on the lot had a radio. The lady didn't want the radio option. The dealership pulled the radio to finish the sale, but left the rest because of the hassle factor.

CarloSW2

tasdrouille 11-12-2008 07:31 AM

That couple watts is going to kill you mileage big time. ;)

I would have a hard time going on a long trip without music. Since I removed my antenna I usually loose the signal ~50 miles from the source, but I always have my good ol CDs at hand.

Doofus McFancypants 11-12-2008 07:57 AM

Another option - since you had the speakers wired in anyway would be to connect up an "AUX" port only - plug an Ipod / MP3 player - or portable CD player -into the jack and use the cars speakers.
My need an AMP to get sound up to decent level - but would allow you to "SWAP IN / OUT" the music for when you want it.

Added benifit - you take it our of the car with you - less chance of theft.

Steve