EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Off-Topic Tech (https://ecomodder.com/forum/off-topic-tech.html)
-   -   ABS Fault (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/abs-fault-8638.html)

RH77 06-04-2009 10:15 PM

ABS Fault

In the Teg the other day, the ABS light came on after EOC. I performed a coast-restart and the initial self-check was OK, and the light turned off.

This happened about 10 more times over the last 3 days.

Now, the continuous self-test identified a fault, and it's on continuously.

I consulted the shop manual. Ugh. There's a separate ECU and fault-code system. Then I went cross-eyed and decided to post...

Any ideas on what typically goes first (or an easy way to test this without the Honda PGM tool)? I'm guessing that it's not a fuse, due to the intermittent nature of the failure.

Secondly, should I worry about it? It goes into fail-safe mode and isolates the ABS system from regular braking. It would be nice to have, but it's not essential.

Aside from that, there's that annoying neon orange ABS glaring at me.

RH77

tasdrouille 06-05-2009 07:41 AM

On VWs it's usually the wheel speed sensors getting dirty or simply bad and sending improbable signals. You get the ABS light when one goes bad, plus a constantly flashing brake light and a warning signal when a second one goes out. I've been driving all winter with 2 dirty sensors, I need to take the time to clean them. I would not worry about it, everything will work fine but the ABS system.

theunchosen 06-09-2009 09:23 PM

second Tas,
I don't think you really need the ABS in the Integra. . .I rarely get into mine(enough that it matters) in the Del Sol and I am quite confident its at least the same weight if not heavier.

Black electrical tape for the display. When there is a sensor we can't make go off we just tape it up and send them on their way(we replace everything and the gauge cluster is just going bad).

Christ 06-09-2009 10:43 PM

Third on that... wife's ABS sensors are crap on the Pontiac, but we don't worry about it.. it's an intermittent problem, and the ABS still works unless the light starts flashing. I have a basic repair book on ABS, they're all pretty simple setups (physical hardware wise). The wheel sensors and hall effect rings are usually the first things to break/cake/screw up.

RH77 06-10-2009 01:01 AM

Well, it's back to normal again -- but we'll see for how long.

As I look back, I'm not sure how often the ABS would've made a huge difference in vehicle dynamics. It doesn't have stability control. The inherent front-end push keeps oversteer at bay (unless you toss it into a 4-wheel slide -- but ABS does nothing sideways). Rain and snow tests have proven no distinct advantage.

The electrical tape is waiting...

Rh77

Clev 06-10-2009 02:00 AM

I've had the orange light in my Ranger for 65,000 miles. Shop diagnosed it as the ABS pump. Since it doesn't affect braking otherwise, I've just ignored it.

Christ 06-10-2009 03:49 PM

The liquid electrical tape or just some plain black enamel paint will work better than electrical tape does... eventually, the plain plastic tape will peel back leaving adhesive exposed... my father just did this to cover the gear indicator, since we swapped an auto cluster into his manual S-10.

nemesis 06-18-2009 04:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RH77 (Post 108942)
Well, it's back to normal again -- but we'll see for how long.

As I look back, I'm not sure how often the ABS would've made a huge difference in vehicle dynamics. It doesn't have stability control. The inherent front-end push keeps oversteer at bay (unless you toss it into a 4-wheel slide -- but ABS does nothing sideways). Rain and snow tests have proven no distinct advantage.

The electrical tape is waiting...

Rh77

abs had no distinct advantage in the snow or rain?? :rolleyes:

RH77 06-21-2009 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nemesis (Post 110569)
abs had no distinct advantage in the snow or rain?? :rolleyes:

Nope. Especially snow.

Anyways, the light hasn't come back on since I posted last, so it must have sorted itself out for now...

RH77