Go Back   EcoModder Forum > EcoModding > Fossil Fuel Free
Register Now
 Register Now

Reply  Post New Thread

Submit Tools LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 03:16 PM   #1 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Fossil Free?

So everyone here that has posted in this forum thread are running their toys totally fossil free?

Meaning?

You all charge your toys off the grid, produce your power via. 100% hydro-electric, home wind turbine, or home solar panel.

Plugging your toy into any wall socket doesn’t mean its fossil free.

I don't want to offend anyone calling their projects toys, but they are, even mine. I'll stick with my biodiesel toys.

Dave,
Even the solar Taxi used fossil fuel, I helped them find a 220v outlet so they could charge up their contraption, I’m the fat guy seen here:
Solartaxi

For those that are off the grid, I give you all two thumbs up.

Alt Today
Popular topics

Other popular topics in this forum...

Old 06-03-2009, 03:24 PM   #2 (permalink)
Administrator

CM400E - '81 Honda CM400E
90 day: 51.49 mpg (US)

Daox's Grey Prius - '04 Toyota Prius
Team Toyota
90 day: 49.53 mpg (US)

Daox's Insight - '00 Honda Insight
90 day: 64.33 mpg (US)

Swarthy - '14 Mitsubishi Mirage DE
Mitsubishi
90 day: 56.69 mpg (US)

Daox's Volt - '13 Chevrolet Volt
Thanked 2,585 Times in 1,553 Posts
If you wanna get crazy with it, you could say that fossil fuel free cars are non-existant due to the fuel used in the manufacturing process.

Its a looser term here. This is a forum for ideas on electric cars, bio diesel, etc.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:06 PM   #3 (permalink)
EcoModding Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
If you wanna get crazy with it, you could say that fossil fuel free cars are non-existant due to the fuel used in the manufacturing process.

Its a looser term here. This is a forum for ideas on electric cars, bio diesel, etc.
Not I could say, I will say! Amazing sometimes how much energy we waste so we don't have to walk.

I'm going to buy bicycle.
Old 06-03-2009, 04:23 PM   #4 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
I wouldn't jump to conclusions... I don't yet drive an EV, but my power comes from Niagara Falls and Bruce Nuclear. It depends on how far up the chain you want to derive your "fossil fuel free" term from. I'm sure Bruce Nuclear and Niagara Falls both required huge amounts of fuel to build and maintain - the hydro company came by and used a gas powered chain saw to clear trees from my power lines! I'd say someone is FF free if they don't put gas or oil in their car. Heck, even gas came from dinos that were eating solar-fed leaves and veggies!
Old 06-03-2009, 06:21 PM   #5 (permalink)
EcoModding Apprentice

Appliance White - '93 Geo Metro 4-Dr. Auto
Last 3: 42.35 mpg (US)

Stealth RV - '91 Chevy Sprint Base
I'd be careful about calling biodiesel a non-fossil fuel, unless it was grown and processed organically, using horses or biodiesel power.
Old 06-03-2009, 06:22 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel Biker View Post
Not I could say, I will say! Amazing sometimes how much energy we waste so we don't have to walk.

I'm going to buy bicycle.
While you're at it, make it a hybrid with regen. So not only does it not use fossil fuels to go, but it also generates electricity that can be used to substitute for electricity made with fossil fuels. You then get a bicycle with a negative net fossil fuel usage.

Allie Moore and I have a combined carbon footprint much smaller than that of one average American...
Old 06-04-2009, 08:18 AM   #7 (permalink)
Master EcoModder

2k2Prot5 - '02 Mazda Protege5
90 day: 33.82 mpg (US)
Good point, Bob. I think it is safe to say you are fossil fuel free when you aren't using any. The supply chain is not yours to worry about - it will clean up in time.

Reply  Post New Thread