EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   EcoModding Central (https://ecomodder.com/forum/ecomodding-central.html)
-   -   Actuated clutch when gas off (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/actuated-clutch-when-gas-off-5372.html)

kane66 10-02-2008 07:58 PM

Actuated clutch when gas off

I was thinking today about how much a pain in the but it is to EOC in my car. Kill engine... depress clutch.... shift into nuetral .... bump start engine... repeat.... defiantly a lot of work. I was thinking that a actuator designed to depress the clutch when there is no pressure on the throttle. So instead I would let the throttle out and the clutch would activate. I then would shut down the engine. Coasting with the engine off clutch out. then when I want to "bump start it" I would just depress the throttle a little bit and actuator would release starting the engine. Of course It would have a switch to turn it off when not in use, and would take some getting use to but it would make both P&G and EOC much easier. Any thoughts. What would be some problems with this setup. Any thoughts appreciated.

Red 10-02-2008 08:45 PM

What kind of car? On the KISS concept it would just be easier to use one's foot...

fanamingo 10-02-2008 11:02 PM

It seems like it could be convenient most of the time, but could also be a safety hazard. Wouldn't this disable engine braking on downhills? Even with a disable switch, I wouldn't feel comfortable with it. It could also be a nuisance if you're feathering the gas and let up more than you intend. This would just require a simple rev match to fix, but could be an unwelcomed side effect. Creative idea though!

markweatherill 10-03-2008 01:49 AM

Hypermiling with labour-saving? I am not sure but why not fit a switch to your clutch pedal that cuts ignition power, and hence the engine, when you dip the clutch and reconnects it as you raise the clutch to bump-start?

kane66 10-03-2008 02:37 AM

hmmm.... all good points. I really don't like to drive around while holding the clutch. I rarely engine break, I coast as much as possible in neutral, and just use the regular break if I have to. I drive a 1986 VW diesel.

Daox 10-03-2008 10:32 AM

I shift to neutral during my glides 95% of the time.

ATaylorRacing 10-03-2008 03:53 PM

Try shifting into neutral without using the clutch, it has always worked on all my cars.

metromizer 10-03-2008 05:23 PM

Although I've never driven either, I understand the old Saabs and the VW Lupo 1L (Diesel) had a one-way clutch mechanism that the driver could selectively engage, that sounds to me like your solution. Since you drive a VW, I wounder if a Lupo transaxle could be sourced and retrofitted to your '86 vw

When engaged, it acted like a bicycle's freewheel. A buddy of mine put quite a few miles on Saab's version, he said it took some getting used to in commuting the backroads of Conecticut.

kane66 10-04-2008 12:32 AM

I would love to get a 1 liter lupo setup. Unfortunately there really rare and hard to find. Believe me I looked into it. My car does pop into neutral with out the clutch. Some sort of one action process would be great though. Remove my foot from the gas and I'm free wheeling, press a little on the gas and my car bump starts. Maybe even have a fuel cut off hooked to the break so that when I tap the break the engine turns off.