EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Forum News & Feedback (https://ecomodder.com/forum/forum-news-feedback.html)
-   -   Adds (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/adds-37921.html)

oil pan 4 10-21-2019 11:47 PM

Adds

Out of no where I'm getting swamped with adds when I'm on here.
And some of them are sneaky, I will try to open something that is an ecomodder link and I get sent to some Web site trying to sell me some bs.
Is it coming from ecomodder or is it something on my end?

Stubby79 10-22-2019 12:01 AM

I'm not getting any.

D.O.G. 10-22-2019 02:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oil pan 4 (Post 609966)
And some of them are sneaky, I will try to open something that is an ecomodder link and I get sent to some Web site trying to sell me some bs.

I'm seeing adds between each post, sometimes between a post and it's associated thank you.
I don't see them on the other car forum I watch.

Frank Lee 10-22-2019 07:08 AM

I don't see any adds, unless someone posts some basic arithmetic.

iikhod 10-22-2019 07:19 AM

I'm seeing ads, between posts. That usually happens if don't remember to log in or this site "throws me out" :D
Don't mind some ads now and then, but this is ads galore right now.

RedDevil 10-22-2019 08:06 AM

Unchecked Ublock Origin and had a peek.

Got more ads (the same one repeatedly?) than I'm prepared to endure. Ublock on again.

Daox 10-22-2019 08:38 AM

I don't think we made any changes. I'll be sure to talk with Darin about it.

mpg_numbers_guy 10-22-2019 09:02 AM

Have you scanned your computer for viruses lately? Does this happen on other websites too?

oil pan 4 10-22-2019 09:04 AM

Because I shouldn't be getting any adds on here.
The adds I get on other sites doesn't seem to have changed.

vskid3 10-22-2019 10:32 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I have my ad blocker disabled on here to help give the site a few pennies when I visit. I've recently started seeing large video ads at the bottom of threads, sometimes with smaller versions in between every few replies.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1571754637

I used to mainly see this at the bottom, now it's becoming less common.
https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1571754637

Xist 10-22-2019 10:55 AM

I hate adds!

There is nothing worse than going to pull a specific group of mobs that you know you can handle, but more come out of nowhere, you die, you need to run back to your body, and then deal with almost as many mobs as already killed you, but now you are at half health!

Oh, ads. I never see any on my laptop, desktop, or phone (unless I am logged out), but I believe that I actually have multiple ad blockers.

MetroMPG 10-22-2019 10:59 AM

Google said they changed some ad formats this week. It's possible things will be a little different.

EG: I've seen some audio-off video ads in one of our usual slots that start rolling when you scroll by.

We have the site set up so that not-logged-in (guests/visitors) get served many more ads.

Quote:

some of them are sneaky, I will try to open something that is an ecomodder link and I get sent to some Web site trying to sell me some bs.

Definitely not from us. And Google doesn't do in-link ads as far as I know. We removed a 3rd party link ad platform a while ago.

MetroMPG 10-22-2019 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vskid3 (Post 609996)
I have my ad blocker disabled on here to help give the site a few pennies when I visit.

Thanks for the support! We really are making peanuts vs. a few years back when people cared about fuel economy and traffic was good. We're still covering our hosting bills, but I can see a day coming when even that's in doubt.

You'll know when that happens -- we'll have to go all PBS/NPR on you guys: "IT'S FALL FUNDRAISING SEASON!!" :D

Quote:

I've recently started seeing large video ads at the bottom of threads, sometimes with smaller versions in between every few replies.
Yes, that's the Google format change I've seen.

oil pan 4 10-22-2019 11:25 AM

I will try visiting on another device later today.
As far as I can tell it's only on here.

MetroMPG 10-22-2019 11:28 AM

killed one new format

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

And some of them are sneaky

Were you on a mobile device or desktop/laptop?

We just TURNED OFF one of the new Google formats that is an "interstitial" ad enabled for mobile devices that would do what you describe: You might have seen something like the ad below when trying to navigate from one EM page to another EM page by clicking an EM link:

https://ecomodder.com/forum/attachme...1&d=1571758076

Xist 10-22-2019 04:03 PM

I am curious how you guys would handle a pledge drive. PBS always comes up with cool material and then at least as much airtime is dedicated to begging for money.

Would it be possible to sell decals and t-shirts on Amazon? People on YouTube mention that if you click on their link and then buy something, even if it wasn't what they linked, they get a tiny bit of money. I think it is .25%. That means that if I bought a $1,000 phone or computer, Ecomodder would get $2.50. I would have mentioned it before, but I did the math first.

I am unsure that I spend $1,000 most years on Amazon and right now they are supposedly donating to Wounded Warriors or something.

Whiny Warriors? That sounds more like my group!

Still, it would be something, and might help delay the pledge drives!

In unrelated news, I have seen discussions here about apps that pay you for watching ads. People idle them on extra devices. Do you think those at least pay enough to cover the electricity they use? Could I use an old device to play ads for Ecomodder? :)

MetroMPG 10-22-2019 05:33 PM

For us to really get any meaningful income from Google, people have to do something beyond simply looking at the ads. But we are forbidden by the user agreement to encourage/induce you to do that thing.

oil pan 4 10-22-2019 06:09 PM

I use my really old android os phone.
I really only use the laptop for ebay selling and paying bills.

Xist 10-23-2019 09:50 PM

Heh. I wasn't even talking about looking at the ads, just play them on an unused device. Would clicking on the ads be enough?

I am not encouraging you to encourage us to do so, just inquiring for science!

oil pan 4 10-24-2019 11:56 AM

Ads could potential lead to malware.

Xist 10-24-2019 12:46 PM

Malware leads to suffering, suffering leads to anger, and anger leads to the Dark Side!

teoman 10-25-2019 05:17 PM

Would clicking on the adds help the site?

COcyclist 10-26-2019 04:30 PM

I made a donation to the blue star level to avoid seeing ads. I logged in, logged out and logged in again today but the ads are still there. I would be happy to make another donation but would prefer the ad free content I used to have.

RedDevil 10-26-2019 06:11 PM

I tried it a couple of days with my ad blocker switched off for this site, but seeing one (long) post cut up in 5 pieces by ads was too much.
Sorry but Ublock Origin will stay on.

oil pan 4 12-08-2019 02:15 AM

After nearly 3 months the adds that were infiltrating the thread posts, header, side bars, footers, body are gone.

Xist 12-08-2019 02:48 AM

You knucklehead! You gave them to me!

COcyclist 12-08-2019 09:11 AM

I do not see advertisements today. Yahoo!