EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Motorcycles / Scooters (https://ecomodder.com/forum/motorcycles-scooters.html)
-   -   Advice from Ducati Owners (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/advice-ducati-owners-21092.html)

apocalypse ed 03-22-2012 01:29 AM

Advice from Ducati Owners

With gas approaching $5.00 gallon where I live, I am seriously considering purchasing a new bike. I have not had a bike since the early 90s and I am in great shape. My issue is that I am an avid body builder and I weigh in at 270 LBS and I am not sure a Ducati can handle my size. I am 5'11 inches but my muscle mas is really high which results in heavy body weight.

Are there any other Ducati owners on here that can give me advice on how the Ducati can handle my weight, and what would be the best model for me.

I know I have to do something to help out with the gas consumption here. I have to commute on average 40-60 miles a day for work.

offalot 07-17-2012 04:23 PM

Those are some very good points xiojfibfwbhehfix , to what I don't know though :confused:

Ed, I don't know what model Duc you are looking at but most out there are monsters (including the Ducati Monster) and will have no problem slinging your weight around. If you test drive one I'm sure you will not feel any lack of power, quite the contrary. That being said, probably not the best ecomodder bike.

euromodder 07-17-2012 06:04 PM

270 lbs on a bike that can handle 2-up riding won't be an issue at all.

Those that are made for single rider, usually have plenty of power to haul around a few more pounds.

6 feet may mean the Ducs (and many sporty bikes) are becoming cramped.
Try them out and see what bike fits you.

A Hypermotard or Multistrada won't have much problems with you ;)
The sportier the bike, the more of a squeeze it'll be.

Electictracer 07-17-2012 08:33 PM

Im not impartial but I like the buell firebolt or lightning for us bigger guys. Its good tall bike with lots of power and I get up to 60mpg on my xb1200. Only problem is they dont make new ones, but parts are still avalable and prices are low. And you might have to do any work you need done yourself.

Curtis in Texas 07-17-2012 09:31 PM

I weigh in a 243 @ 6" 2" and my E 900 Ducati Elefant has no problem propelling me fast enough to get to see the Traffic Judge.
Like was said, any bike that can carry two up can carry you just fine.

But I have to ask! If you are wanting economy, why are you going to a Ducati?
My 900 only gets 34 MPG but my KLR will give me 48 MPG consistently.

For 15 years my commute was 40 miles one way and mostly highway speeds. I took turns riding both bikes for over 6 years an had no problem keeping up with or ahead of traffic on either of them.
But I could have just as easily done it on a 600 cc's. You see I rode my 600cc RFR Suzuki for five years before the Ducati and KLR. And it got 55 MPG with zero mods.

So if you looking for economy look for a smaller displacement. But if you want to go like your hair is on fire and you have money burning a hole in your pocket, buy what ever you want. 270 lbs is not a real issue unless you are looking at 150 cc scooters for highways.

Since you ask this question several months ago I'm sure you've made a decision on this already so fess up. Which way dod you go. For the price of a Ducati you could get an air conditioned cage that will go close the same MPG. But not near as much fun.