EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   aero development for specific makes (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aero-development-specific-makes-15601.html)

fairdinkumfrankies 12-28-2010 03:15 PM

aero development for specific makes

All,

Any thought to publishing lessons learned and specific proven fixes? Clearly there are some models that are highly represented within this forum. Examples would be "X is a proven way to reduce drag" or "Z is the best known way to improve mpg" for a specific model of car. Lots of Geo, Saturn, Honda, Toyota, Nissan, and other makes. A person could thing go and say that "this is the best proven option for my car."

womprat 12-28-2010 04:32 PM

I think you need to clarify. You mean to start a thread of known good mods for particular makes and models?

Make: Any make.
Modification: Grill block. Do it. Do it now, go grab some duct tape and block it up.

MetroMPG 12-28-2010 06:51 PM

Putting together such a list would be great.

The closest you'll find right now is probably in the wiki, where links to "project threads" for many of the aero mods you read about here can be found:

Car MPG Efficiency Modifications Main - EcoModder

fairdinkumfrankies 12-29-2010 11:20 AM

I did mean make and model. The idea is to list proven mods for specific models and the data showing the results. I see a lot of back and forth on this working or that not. Some of this is settled and could help those without the skill, time, or background to move on some of this. I might be asking a lot because I know that there is a lot of work being done by a few. This just might be a chance to see the fruit blossom in other fields.

I read and asked questions last year and managed to be able to keep with I-495 morning traffic at 70mph and average 43-45mpg in a 1994 Prizm 5-speed. That was this forum's efforts and knowledge that yielded those gains. I even managed 48mpg once in those conditions.

I am studying what was done with Metros and hope to adopt some of the tactics and mods to work in my new commute. I specifically sought out a 99' Metro after reading the posts. I ditched a 1999 Town and Country for the 3cyl just last week. The questionable mods I am setting aside and will start learning the Metro's quirks and let you all know how much I have been able to adopt and make work in my environment.

Hope this makes sense and that I am not offending anyone :D

fairdinkumfrankies 12-29-2010 11:21 AM

Oh,
How do you delete a car and add a new signature? The Geo Prizm is gone and I would like to replace the trending with the Metro.

MetroMPG 12-29-2010 11:36 AM

You make that car disappear by selecting "retired" under status when you edit its details. (It will remain in your garage, but nobody else will see it.)

And... congrats on the Metro purchase :)

Mario_Marques 12-29-2010 01:50 PM

Great idea :thumbup:

fairdinkumfrankies 01-01-2011 08:58 PM

Hey! Got 48 mpg even after getting stuck in a traffic jam. I don't have a scan gauge but I think I was on the path to 60 mpg applying the pulse and glide. I kept my speeds 5 under and stayed off the highways as much as possible. Short trip of 76 miles but used the same pump after top offs. Sort of happy. I would love to see what the full tank average will look like.