EcoModder.com

EcoModder.com (https://ecomodder.com/forum/)
-   Aerodynamics (https://ecomodder.com/forum/aerodynamics.html)
-   -   Aero mods to 2000 Jaguar S Type (https://ecomodder.com/forum/showthread.php/aero-mods-2000-jaguar-s-type-7501.html)

low&slow 03-17-2009 12:13 AM

Aero mods to 2000 Jaguar S Type

5 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Attached are some pictures of my grille block, wheel deflectors and passenger mirror deletion. The upper grille block is made of clear packing material that I cut to match the upper grille opening. The lower grille block and the wheel deflectors are made of flexible plastic panels cut to the appropriate shape and secured with velcro for easy removal. These are a bit rough and now that I know that they work I will repaint them for a better appearance and see about getting a clear piece of lexan to replace the upper grille block. These mods allowed me to get my personal best tank average of 36mph recently. I hope they are helpful in your pursuit of better fuel economy.
Best wishes , Vic

FastPlastic 03-17-2009 03:11 AM

Looks good :thumbup: I'm a fan of the hidden in plain sight mods. Clear on the grills is the way to go in my opinion.

Daox 03-17-2009 08:41 AM

Wow, 36 is pretty impressive in that vehicle. Congrats. The mods look good too.

low&slow 03-17-2009 09:55 AM

Thanks Guys! Wit these good results, my next project will looking at expanding the underbody streamlining. The S Type has some underbody panels in the front end only. My new goal is a 40mpg tank .
Vic

alohaspirit 03-17-2009 03:19 PM

got bigger pics?

aerohead 03-17-2009 05:29 PM

mods

Stealthy! Few will notice, 'cept the air as you're realizing.Looks good,and congrats on 36mpg.Have fun on the way to 40!

low&slow 03-17-2009 10:52 PM

Hi,
Thank you all for your positive comments. It means a lot to me to have your support and validation.
Attached some larger versoions, please let me know if these need to be enlarged. Sorry to be such a nimrod about posting pictures.
Thank you, Vic

low&slow 03-17-2009 10:55 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Hi,
Thank you all for your positive comments. It means a lot to me to have your support and validation.
Attached some larger versions, please let me know if these need to be enlarged. Sorry to be such a nimrod about posting pictures.
Thank you, Vic

low&slow 03-17-2009 10:57 PM

2 Attachment(s)
more pix.......

alohaspirit 03-18-2009 12:46 AM

took them with your phone huh

marvhein 07-29-2009 05:13 PM

What else?

I have a '00 S-Type 3.0 also. In addition to the mods pictured, what else have you changed/practiced to achieve your results?

Thanks...

low&slow 07-30-2009 02:16 AM

Hi Marvhein,

Its great to hear from another Jag owner interested in maximizing fuel economy. I have posted on Jaguar forums and often get blasted for my modificiations " ruining the ride and appearance of a premium luxury sports sedan".
Besides my aero mods posted on this thread ( grille block, front tire deflectors and passenger mirror removal) I have increased the tire pressure to 42 psi all around , recently added a WAI ( warm air intake ) and am stilling considering adding more undercar streamlining.
While these mods have been beneficial, the biggest gains are from modifying driving behaviour ( maximize coasting, avoid braking, reduce speed, anticipate stops and slowdowns, minimize idling, etc. ). We are fortunate to have excellent instrumentation in our cars and I have found the trip computer's instanteous MPG and MPG average indicators to be pretty accurate and definitely effective ( less than 1 mpg optimistic). All this has lead to my current 27-28mpg/tankfill status for mixed commuter driving with high tankfills of over 36 mpg. I'm confident I'll soon be getting 30 mpg/ tankfill shortly.
My last road trip to the Las Vegas NASCAR races produced my best tankfills averages so far ( 36mpg+ and 34mpg ). Its a great destination and always a lot of fun.
Let me know if I can be of further assistance and check out my garage posting.
Best wishes, L&S